Fly Fusion Forums

No Show Guide

mkm

On last friday myself and another member were supposed to do a walk n wade with a private guide but to our disappointment he never showed. Having taken the day off and really anticipating a great day we both decided to sit and wait an hour just in case the guide had slept in. However, after numerous ignored phone calls/messages we finally assumed we had been stood up and headed to the river for what turned out to be a poor fishing day for us. The sad part of this story is that (1) we both took the day off, (2) had emailed confirmation of the date and time, (3) the guide never gave us a heads up that he couldn't make it, (4) still to this day he has not responded to multiple phone calls or emails. I'm not out to post names or muddy reputations but what do you guys think the best way to deal with this situation is?

Thanks,

mkm

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bigbadbrent

Did you pay him in advance? If not, then thats sorta what you get for going through a private guide (not trying to be a jerk!). He has a responsibility to show if you've paid him or have signed a contract, otherwise its just a matter or not of whether he wants to show, though he knows that you will be pissed, and likely pass the information on.

Go through a reputable company (there are like 6 shops in Calgary that will outfit you with a guide) and if the guide doesnt show up, its on them to go after him, or send a guide out to cover him....

Honestly, if he doesn't resolve it, you really should let the name out he shouldn't get away with doing that to you guys..thats my thought anyway...You really should be getting a free day off the guy now, as you would almost be guarenteed to get that at a fly shop if you got ditched by their guides, or at least a discount

Guest Rocknbugs

Thats a burn, I would appreciate knowing who it is so that it does not happen to me or others, dropping a name through a PM is totally appropriate in this situation. I own a business and if I were to do something like that word would spread fast and I would soon be out of business. I could see it if the guy was sick or injured but because he never replied to any of your contact attempts, he just jerked you around and people like that should not be in business. Sorry to hear about that man I would have been super pissed.

You have every right to post the fellows name if he continues to ignore the problem. You should also be absolutely fair. He owes you something for your trouble, no doubt about it. We are only talking about one jerk here(assuming you story is accurate). I must also say there are a great many guides working on the Bow who aren't affiliated with a fly shop. Don't assume that this is in any way a normal business practice of independent guides. They are a great bunch of people trying to make a living and performing a valued service to their clients. Just had to say that and I'll leave it at that. Rick.

That's disappointing to hear mkm. Whatever the situation was that caused the guide to be a no show, the least he could have done was give you a call to let you know. Had you used this particular guide before?

In all fairness to other excellent private guides on the Bow, they also have to deal with many clients cancelling at the last minute, pulling a no show and then ignoring repeated calls/emails or clients wanting to change dates on the day of the trip they had booked, leaving the guide un-employed for the day.

The thing I would suggest you do about this is, hire a different guide or book through a reputable outfitter and go fishing. Maybe post a request for recommendations for Bow river guides that are in good standing in the community.

Good Luck.

Sorry to hear about this experience, it is unusual and certainly not the norm for any guide. I wonder if this fellow is ill or injured, I hope he isn't for his sake but it would explain this situation. Let some time go by & keep trying to get onto him for some answers & let us know how it shakes out. Thanks, & happy fishin.

Guest bigbadbrent
That's disappointing to hear mkm. Whatever the situation was that caused the guide to be a no show, the least he could have done was give you a call to let you know. Had you used this particular guide before?

In all fairness to other excellent private guides on the Bow, they also have to deal with many clients cancelling at the last minute, pulling a no show and then ignoring repeated calls/emails or clients wanting to change dates on the day of the trip they had booked, leaving the guide un-employed for the day.

The thing I would suggest you do about this is, hire a different guide or book through a reputable outfitter and go fishing. Maybe post a request for recommendations for Bow river guides that are in good standing in the community.

Good Luck.

every guide and shop deals with this....not just private guides..

Not many guides have a problem with a day off, especially towards the end of the season when they're burnt out..

And the thing with being a guide, its your job to show up..you get paid to show up..so show up, early..

Guest Rocknbugs

I believe that if mouths to feed is that important, then you show up, do your job and get paid. If you are sick or injured you have a good reason but to not reply to calls and emails looks a little dodgy to me. I would like to know so if you could PM me that would be great I dont want to make the same mistake. Hours in the day and getting paid is important to all of us......SOME MORE THAN OTHERS I GUESS. Nobody in the real wrold cares about my kids or if they eat or not besides me. Being a company owner you learn really quick to show up, do the job, and kiss ass with a smile on your face regardless or the work gets pulled and your kids dont eat. Its not fair to any of us that would potentially hire this guy.

Perhaps a word of caution is in order here. Before hiring a guide or anyone to do a service for you for that matter, check this person out. Ask for references and check them out. Treat the hiring practise as you would if you were building a home or doing renos and things of that nature. Remember there are alot of fly by nights in this world.

On last friday myself and another member were supposed to do a walk n wade with a private guide but to our disappointment he never showed. Having taken the day off and really anticipating a great day we both decided to sit and wait an hour just in case the guide had slept in. However, after numerous ignored phone calls/messages we finally assumed we had been stood up and headed to the river for what turned out to be a poor fishing day for us. The sad part of this story is that (1) we both took the day off, (2) had emailed confirmation of the date and time, (3) the guide never gave us a heads up that he couldn't make it, (4) still to this day he has not responded to multiple phone calls or emails. I'm not out to post names or muddy reputations but what do you guys think the best way to deal with this situation is?

Thanks,

mkm

Hi, Ya I know how that feels, that happend to me too.If you say anything to anyone with that persons name, phone number, ect, he / she can charge you, I say charge you with- SLANDER yes that's right ..Whatever you do don't post it here on this site. Freindly advice from me.

Guest bigbadbrent

It would actually be Libel, not slander..

and, the plaintiff would have to prove that what the defendant said was not true..

It would actually be Libel, not slander..

and, the plaintiff would have to prove that what the defendant said was not true..

Libel, slander, and defamation attorneys help victims of libel (typically defined as a false and defamatory written communication) and slander (a false and defamatory spoken communication). Because instances of libel or slander – beyond simply damaging a person’s reputation – can demonstrate real financial injury, libel and slander attorneys help people recover compensation directly resulting from the libel, slander, or defamation. They can sometimes recover punitive or exemplary damages. Good libel and slander attorneys will not accept a libel or slander case unless the facts are clear, the damages can be proven, and the proposed defendant has resources substantial enough to make collection on a judgment likely. Attorneys usually require some payment in advance, rarely working on a pure contingent fee basis.

Well I'd say you should say who it is. A Private guide probably doesn't have the money to hire a lawyer in the first place, and unless he's sick or dead, he should be answering your phone calls and e-mails.

And not all private guides are bad. I ran a private services for 7 years that *by word of mouth* grew exponentially. So if you do it right, you won't suffer for business... but if you do it wrong, maybe you should get a slam here and there.... just my 2 cents.

Guest Rocknbugs

Your allowed to say.."dam so and so did not show up and I will never use them again" its just telling the truth in a conversation you are not intentionaly ripping someones rep, & if it mattered to them that much it would not have happened in the first place. People have the right to know about bad service.

Sorry gents, but as SJW has already requested, we do not allow it on the site, as we (site admins/mods) could be dragged into it and have made it a policy here at FFC. No bashing the folks in the business community or personal attacks allowed. So if there's nothing more to add here, lets move on.

Best of luck mkm on your next fishing adventure.

Guest Rocknbugs
Sorry gents, but as SJW has already requested, we do not allow it on the site, as we (site admins/mods) could be dragged into it and have made it a policy here at FFC. No bashing the folks in the business community or personal attacks allowed. So if there's nothing more to add here, lets move on.

Best of luck mkm on your next fishing adventure.

Its not bashing, Its just telling the truth, there is nothing wrong or illegal about it. Its the same as walking into a restaraunt and having the worst service & the worst meal you have ever had in your life then you say to someone that was the worst food and service I have ever had and I will not go back there. Everyone here has done it at one point in time or the other about one thing or the other.

Its not bashing, Its just telling the truth, there is nothing wrong or illegal about it. Its the same as walking into a restaraunt and having the worst service & the worst meal you have ever had in your life then you say to someone that was the worst food and service I have ever had and I will not go back there. Everyone here has done it at one point in time or the other about one thing or the other.

The difference is that the admins/mods on this site can be dragged into a whole 'bunch a crap'.

This is a public forum and the admins and mods have requested that we don't. Period.

I understand where you're coming from, but if we allow it, where will it end? Do you really want to hear a long list of peoples complaints about guides, shuttles, fly shops. We would be just opening the door to trouble.

Then there are the legal consequences for the site operators for doing so. Sorry, but I do have the resources to lose, that could put me in the cross hairs of a law suit for allowing public broadcast of any comments that may end up in a civil suit for damages. It's a slippery slope that I won't risk.

Sorry and I hope you understand our position.

This thread seems to be going nowhere except in the direction that someone 's name is going to be let out and if that happens let me assure you that the one who does it will be reprimanded........no exceptions ......consider yourselves warned

I don;t think its fair to put the guides name in public, tarnish his rep and possibly have him lose business, over what maybe somthing as simple as miss communication, personal problems, whatever.. if he/she are on the boards..they are probably scared shitless of all the talk .. and now nervous about coming forward to explain to mkm or whoever about what happened ... I'd say leave it alone & don't call that particular guide again .. we don't need to go there .. my 0.02