Fly Fusion Forums

Amundson Experience

Hey all,

I thought I should share my experience with everyone after my dealing with Amundson. In Jan of 2010 I bought a Trend reel at WSS here in Edmonton. First trip of the year, Swan Lake, it starts to make a grinding noise when line is going out. I get it home, where it's warm and dry, No noise. Hmmm. Next trip, BC interior, drag fails completly. Sounds like it's full of gravel. The reel lasted a total of 6 days. I get home and ship it to Amundson. They get back to me by e-mail the day it arrives there, and offer to ship me a new one immediatley. I'm thinking, Wow, what service, this new company is trying really hard!! Now, 2011, new season, back at Swan Lake, reel drag totally fails again. Same symptons. The replacment lasted 9 days. I suppose you could say I had a 50% increase in durability. I'm not worried after how Amundson treated me last year. I'm thinking they must of had a bad batch/run and they will deal with it in a manner to keep their new customers happy. So, off to Amundson it goes. I check with Priority Post and my reel had arrived the day after I sent it. I wait 6 days, haven't heard a word from them, so I e-mail them to ask what the status of my warranty claim. 2 days after that they e-mail to say they're thinking about it. 4 days after that I get a call from them. I had asked for my money back, instead of anther disposable reel. The rep said they had to talk to WSS about a refund, and that they would get back to me a couple days. Say what? I wait 4 days, hear nothing. So e-mail to ask. Couple of days later I get a call. Amundson rep tells me they can't get me a refund from WSS. I tell the rep I'm not asking for a refund from WSS. I'm asking for a refund from Amundson, since it's less than a year since I got the replacement reel. Rep tells me they can't/won't do that. Then rep admits they had a problem with that line of reels, but the new version, the Trend G2, is much better. Great. I'm thinking they're going send me one of those as a replacement. WRONG! The rep tells me for $60 they will send me a G2. The rep tells me that a G2 costs over $200. I know for a fact that they are $150 at WSS. My old Trend was $145 new. By now I'm fairly choked because I'm not going to get my reel replaced and they want me to pony up for an inflated price on a new one. I told the rep to keep the old reel, and told them that I didn't like getting hosed on a new reel, and that I would tell my friends about their "quality" products and service. So friends, You've been told. I wouldn't recommend an Amundson reel to anyone. If you're in the market for a reel, I'd stay away from Amundson if I were you. Thanks for listening.

Beeker

There's a few Amundson reps on this site... maybe they'll chime in.

I saw that problem for myself first hand at WSS. I was there when they were unboxing a bunch of them. I figured it was a bad batch or something..

3 rods, 2 reels, no problems.

Oh, and multiple donations to various local fund raisers as well. I have nothing but good things to say about Amundson. Wish every rod company supported the local fishing community so well.

And in the interest of equal time, TFO does a great job of supporting the local fishing community as well.

@rickr

Nice to hear that Amundson is so good for the community. But, it's not really charity, it's advertising. I still stand by my opinion. They made no attempt to do good by me. I know I sound bitter, but they got a $150 out of me and I've got nothing to show for it. I hope it went to a good cause.

Beeker

Not trying to dissuade you from your opinion. No chance I could do that as you had a bad experience. I'm just stating mine soothers on this site can see another side from a satisfied customer. And I know a few of the guys on the front end of Amundson. I would disagree with your opinion that they are donating for advertising. While of course they get good press for it, I would counter that they don't sell many rods by donating to a couple of obscure fund raising events. Some companies seem to try to give back. My experience with Amundson is that they are one of those companies, or at least the people I deal with are. In other words, I stand by my opinion as well.

Ya I'd be pissed also,the rep admitted they had problems with that reel?Then why is it on the shelfs of WWS??Or why hasn't amundson replaced the ones their?That will keep me away from anything Amundson thanks for the tip.

Beeker i woun't let this go, keep at them.

Tungsten; happy to be amundson free :ridemcowboy:

@rickr

Thanks. I see where I went wrong. I don't " know a few guys on the the front end of Amundson". I just bought a reel with out making a connection with the guys at the front end. Then when their piece of crap reel dies on me, tough, we don't know you. Seriously, 2 reels didn't last a total of 20 days on the water!!!! If "some company" wants to "seem to give to try to give back" then they can give me my hard earned cash back. I'm sure your friends at Amundson appreciate your effort. Maybe you'll get another rod or reel for your internet contribution.

For the rest of you folks out there with Amundson reels that sound like gravel in a tin can, good luck!!!

Beeker

Beeker, I'm not trying to minimize your experience. As I said, you had a bad one. I was just pointing out that I have had a good experience with them. That's all. So if you want to take that as some sort of personal deal, ok. But that was not what it was meant to be.

Beeker

I have spoken to our rep and he understands your frustrations in rectifying this situation, and he advises me

to have you contact him at "sales/manager@amundson.ca" for your contact info and he will send you, at no cost, a G-2.

WSS has not responded to his inquiries regarding a refund.

Please note that Amundson does not give refunds as per your request, but will upgrade the reel at no cost.

We hope this meets with your approval

Brunsie

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i am not a fan of their work either, low end stuff and others make the same or better in the same price market.

dont lie to your self's donations are done for tax wright offs, just like buying a Bentley. And i like how only when the topic goes fully public does another rep finally jump in.

@ Brunsie,

Thanks, I will do that.

@ rickr,

I'm not normally that cranky. I just felt I had been taken advantage of. No hard feelings.

I'll let you all know how I make out now that Amundson wants a second chance.

Beeker

I am glad to see that they will be giving you a new reel, too bad it had to come to this though. I usually have a hard time with posts like this as they are usually one sided.

Personally, I own a TSX reel and I think it is good value for the money. I also have their wind warrior 10' 5wt which I really like. I had the same problem with my TSX and they sent me a new one no problem.

I am just wondering if you happened to take it up with WSS? I don't know if it would have helped, but talking to them at some point may have gotten better results. I know that the rep said that they got no reply from WSS when he talked to them but they are the ones that sold you the reel. In my opinion dropped they ball too. I don't think Amundsen should have been on the hook to give you all your money back when they didn't receive the full retail price of the reel.

Andrew

Dang, I wish this thread had started 3 wks ago.

That would have been just before I bought a new Trend reel here at WSS in Calgary. So far (3 outings) mine is okay, but I would have steered clear had I known they gave you the run around.

To think it takes something like this to get a decent warranty out of them, that is p*ss poor service and I will not buy another product of theirs, regardless of how this reel performs. That is the kind of corporate attitude you might expect when the consumer has no options and there is no competition. I hope they smarten up after this or word will get out.

Nothing travels as fast as bad news.

Hey Gaffer,

WSS offers, I believe, 90 days for money back. So I was way past that when the second reel croaked. I thought Amundson would try to satisfy me through their warranty program and that the cost diff issue would be between Amundson and WSS. After all Amundson must have convinced WSS somewhere along the line to retail their products. If I'm running WSS and Amundson unloads a bunch of defective reels on me, then I'm going to be annoyed because if I sell their unreliable products, then it reflects on my company as well. As for real cost to Amundson, if a reel retails for $150, what is A's cost per reel. I'll bet it's less than for $50. They admitted they had issues with those reels, but wanted to make me pay their cost for a replacement. They've made an offer (see Brunsie's post) to make amends. We'll see how it goes. BTW, I have the #6 WW Stillwater for chronie fishing and I like it alot. It handles Swan lake Turbo 'bows quite nicely thank you. Later.

Beeker

Beeker

I have spoken to our rep and he understands your frustrations in rectifying this situation, and he advises me

to have you contact him at "sales/manager@amundson.ca" for your contact info and he will send you, at no cost, a G-2.

WSS has not responded to his inquiries regarding a refund.

Please note that Amundson does not give refunds as per your request, but will upgrade the reel at no cost.

We hope this meets with your approval

Brunsie

Hi Brunsie,

That e-mail address came back as "undeliverable". I tried the one on their web page (june 9th), but so far no reply.

Thx. Beeker