Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Access Ban

just a question.... but who has the authority to place a ban on access to the river?

If some one is willing to take a risk let them take it.

Why is it up to some one else to decide another mans risk tollorance.

If they put a ban on river access that may claim one life a year. Then ban driving it kills hundreds in this city alone.

just a question.... but who has the authority to place a ban on access to the river?

If they put a ban on river access that may claim one life a year. Then ban driving it kills hundreds in this city alone.

When one ignores public warning about the river , and stupidly goes into or near hazardous zones and gets themselves in trouble , someone has to go into same "zone" and place themselves in danger to get the DUMBASS out of there .

Complex or not about someone trying to tell you if you can or can't , get over it !

If one goes down and gets themself in trouble , he or she's not the only potential victim .

I'm not sure if anyone here or anywere is willing to spend the rest of their life , with their head hung low in shame ! I can't speak for the rest , but I know I definately am not!!!

Technology and training is Great ! Mother Nature is AWESOME ! And we are no match !

But I'm sure I haven't said anything you already didn't know....

walk 'n wade ......turned triathlon

4-5 stick fish , 0 reel fish . You have to wade out aways before the bank is near , then feeling like a gymnast on a beam in order to locate it . vis ......1"......+ or - an inch .

Higher winds in the valley .

Second swim this year ! William Joseph backpack is waterproof........Thank _u_k !!!! Even the magnetic pockets are , camera , phone , etc , dry ! Me Soaked !! theres something wrong if I don't get wet anyhow !

When one ignores public warning about the river , and stupidly goes into or near hazardous zones and gets themselves in trouble , someone has to go into same "zone" and place themselves in danger to get the DUMBASS out of there .

Complex or not about someone trying to tell you if you can or can't , get over it !

If one goes down and gets themself in trouble , he or she's not the only potential victim .

I'm not sure if anyone here or anywere is willing to spend the rest of their life , with their head hung low in shame ! I can't speak for the rest , but I know I definately am not!!!

Technology and training is Great ! Mother Nature is AWESOME ! And we are no match !

But I'm sure I haven't said anything you already didn't know....

Indeed.

Is this same person (as well as their family and friends) going to be okay with noone coming to save their life if they fall in?

Hey man , I apologize if I came off a wee bit aggressive there . My bad . I've been piss'd all day re: Dead Grizz on the tracks , and the brainiacs in power granting a million bucks to figure out what I or you can tell em for free .

Banning driving ? GREAT IDEA ! And if thats not the biggest killer ( especially long weekends) then smoking is ( yea lately I've been a smoker too!) How about banning smoking! AND driving ! If they are concerned with our health , why Jack the price ( deterent ? I say BS.) And that goes for gas and tobacco........ I am going to stay off here until I'm a bit more cheery !! and I digress.....on my dark " Tangent Tuesday " .

Screaming reels

Maybe there IS a known hazard they are trying to warn you about. Better to check it out then to say "no problem" and find out the hard way.

The Smith River here in Montana has been closed for sometime now. Not sure when it happened or if the river has been reopened. But they are looking for an older lady presumably drowned when the boat she was in ran into a snag not too far from the put in.

http://ravallirepublic.com/news/state-and-...49fefc6648.html

The highest I have seen it is around 2000cfs and I think at one point it was at 5700cfs!

Be safe out there!

Indeed.

Was out the door by 9 on the 28th , had not heard any news of a ban . None of us did . Or we wouldn't have gone ! Knowledge is key........As far as high water , was just high water at the start . That doesn't ever turn me around , not like high wind . My natural curiosity got the best of me . Shame on me .

When a ban is announced , and all are aware , ......apples and oranges!!

Dude, you're missing the point. The water was high and fast, you went out anyways, took an unnecessary risk (were you fishing with a buddy and/or wearing a pfd?), and went for a swim. What difference does it make whether or not there was a ban on and CFD wasn't patrolling? It's a big river and you can't always rely on someone to be there to save you. Now obviously you got out ok because you probably used common sense and fished in a stretch of slower water. That's all that's required is exercising common sense and good judgment whether it's high water or normal flows.

The CFD is doing it under bylaw 37M84. I tried to find out what that bylaw says but it isn't online.

I will have a copy from the bylaw office tomorrow...I must admit a curiosity myself, as to the wording.

Dude, you're missing the point. The water was high and fast, you went out anyways, took an unnecessary risk (were you fishing with a buddy and/or wearing a pfd?), and went for a swim. What difference does it make whether or not there was a ban on and CFD wasn't patrolling? It's a big river and you can't always rely on someone to be there to save you. Now obviously you got out ok because you probably used common sense and fished in a stretch of slower water. That's all that's required is exercising common sense and good judgment whether it's high water or normal flows.

Yeah , maybe I am missing your point . I own it I said shame on me !

Are you trying to say that you never go near water when its high !

Its always fast . Its the Bow River . Maybe I should practice that as well , I doubt it . Merely doing what I do when the water is high .

As a fisherman , I try to adapt to the river as best I may , everytime ! When its high , I go shallow as the fish do . Maybe my post on safety and the dumbass things I have owned in doing so chasing trout didnt get through , and yeah I am definately yet sometimes embarrisingly one who learns the hard way , its definately thorough lessons I admit . By no means do I claim to be brilliant , kinda thick headed.

" Well they don't call ya son cause your bright" !

One of my fathers favourite sayings when I did something stupid .

When i hear of a ban , an official ban I respect it . I may get some crazy thoughts in my head , and not care for hearing about it . But that is all they are , crazy thoughts .That river is Forever Mighty , but they don't ban us all year .. Its when they ban it , is when the authorities are telling us that they can't help us .

Otherwise if we excercised extreme caution every time , anytime of the year . We would never get in that water . ( thats just the way I saw it)

Buddy system was practiced . Was just another spring day .. Until I heard there was a ban. Which was exactly as I was typing away on here filling out a report . I didn't think it was much more than high fast water . Growing up on the water , I guess I would be a bit crazy or fearless to some . That is not a scapegoat , its a fact . And I have become aware of how silly a position I may get into , without even realizing it . Again , thank you for challenging me on this .

Since wading kneedeep in water and slipping over a bank of railway ties or something , I have certainly become aware of how I operate even if I am trying to be safe, and solo more often than not . And how I need to adapt .

I beg your pardon if I sounded contradictory .

Actually I was wondering how long it would take to get flack for going....even without knowledge of a ban . Which I have never heard of before . I was at Syncrude for 2005 . Not here so I missed that experience . And thank you for calling me on it , as I know this is an important lesson to be heeded . And I shall practice MY lifestyle in a safer manner . I'm not going to stay out of the river , unless its crazy like this or worse . Now I know , and thats " half the battle"

And when I hear the authorities have placed a ban on it , I don't question it . They ARE letting us know there is not much of any chance to get help from them.

Found this an interesting read, even if it does not come to a conclusive ending:

http://www.calpaddle.com/calpaddle/forums/...420&start=1

As long as we aren't the only ones jonesing to get on the river...

One interesting thing - to play devil's advocate for a second - is that by some of their logic I should be able to launch my jet boat at Policeman's and run it all the way up into the city without penalty. I think it falls under the "be careful what you wish for" category.