Fly Fusion Forums

My First Trip To Mec

Since moving to Calgary, I've heard lots of people talk about MEC. I'd never been there myself, just didn't see the need. Well, since I've gotten into the riding to work thing, it became obvious I needed some new gear. Since it's only 8 blocks or so from work, I walked over.

Uh oh........I can almost feel the money leaking out of my wallet. Kid, meet candy store.

So now I have a fly shop 8 blocks in one direction and an outdoor mecca 8 blocks in the other direction. I am well and truly screwed.

Yep.

True story:

Rode in the crappy ass rain this morning. Stripped off the rain pants (I had shorts on underneath) and thought "what the hell is that swollen thing next to my knee?" then noticed my other leg was swollen as well. What the #@$%? Then realized they were the bottom of my quads. Hello quads, nice to see you again. It's been awhile.

I ride every day all year. You can find everything at MEC and it's usually cheaper than bike shops. It is a candy store for sure.

The beauty is that with bike riding you can shop at both stores and be heading home in the same amount of time it takes to find a parking spot for your vehicle!

Ok, so to turn this into a bike thread (I hijack everyone else's threads, I can certainly hijack my own):

I think I'm going to be getting one of these

Giant Seek 3

through a fly fishing contact. Bike is in excellent condition, I'm getting it for $200. I rode it in today and it sure was easier than my mountain bike.

Ok, so to turn this into a bike thread (I hijack everyone else's threads, I can certainly hijack my own):

I think I'm going to be getting one of these

Giant Seek 3

through a fly fishing contact. Bike is in excellent condition, I'm getting it for $200. I rode it in today and it sure was easier than my mountain bike.

Sweet! I've been looking for a hybrid myself the last while.. but they're more expensive than I thought. Saw this one on Kijiji: http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sp...QAdIdZ279062740

They have lots of great reviews.

Since moving to Calgary, I've heard lots of people talk about MEC. I'd never been there myself, just didn't see the need. Well, since I've gotten into the riding to work thing, it became obvious I needed some new gear. Since it's only 8 blocks or so from work, I walked over.

Uh oh........I can almost feel the money leaking out of my wallet. Kid, meet candy store.

So now I have a fly shop 8 blocks in one direction and an outdoor mecca 8 blocks in the other direction. I am well and truly screwed.

Because of Mec I figure I need to work a couple of more years before retirement....

Stripped off the rain pants (I had shorts on underneath) and thought "what the hell is that swollen thing next to my knee?"

Wow, I thought that was going somewhere really weird for a second.

Don't worry Rick, soon enough you'll realize that MEC is incredibly overrated. Their house brand is some of the most ill-fitting clothing I've ever worn.

Don't worry Rick, soon enough you'll realize that MEC is incredibly overrated. Their house brand is some of the most ill-fitting clothing I've ever worn.

You must have some weird shaped body dude.

MEC has a wider selection of "house brand" items than most comparable stores have even when you include every single product line they sell. And MEC has a guarantee that nobody else can hold a candle to. Been shopping there for about 35+ years now, can't beat it for quality and affordability. I don't think they'll miss your business though.

Damn. If you ever want to totally hijack a thread, Kirk and Bones can sure do it. That was hypnotizing!

Back on track--Marc, all I can afford is inexpensive, ill fitting clothes. My kids take all my clothing cash. I can assure you nothing they have (or at least nothing my oldest son or daughter have) is either ill fitting or inexpensive! And I don't think your body is all that weird. Ok, maybe a little weird.

I did buy a new backpack with some venting to try to limit sweaty back syndrome. It seemed to fit ok!!

For the life of me i cant find, a pair of mec pants that gives me the space i need where a guy should need it. I find hunting pants, and cabelas hiking pants are by far the most comfy pants i can find. Every pair of hunting pants i own seem to be quite comfy, i dont know what it is but really comfy, the bad part is i hate wearing camo around.

Damn. If you ever want to totally hijack a thread, Kirk and Bones can sure do it. That was hypnotizing!

Back on track--Marc, all I can afford is inexpensive, ill fitting clothes. My kids take all my clothing cash. I can assure you nothing they have (or at least nothing my oldest son or daughter have) is either ill fitting or inexpensive! And I don't think your body is all that weird. Ok, maybe a little weird.

I did buy a new backpack with some venting to try to limit sweaty back syndrome. It seemed to fit ok!!

Let your bike cary the load...buy panniers. Much more freedom and less sweat.

Wow, I thought that was going somewhere really weird for a second.

I find MEC is one of the only places where I can find outdoor wear that fits me to my liking, most other places I have gone to either they do not carry my size or its to tight in certain areas.

I wasn't a big fan of MEC untill recently when I went looking for some good hiking boots for my bad knees and the people that I delt with there were well trained, had great customer service skills, and informed me on all the diffrent products I could buy but let the decision fall on me. Since then I have bought alot of stuff there and am very impressed, I also went comparing prices also as I do not make a ton of money and found that what I was buying and comnpared to other places they were a lot cheeper.

Ric, I am super surprised to hear you are biking to work, good for you nothing ever wrong with tring to get in shape, I just wish I had the drive to do that myself.

Keep it up.

I give this thread a big thumbs up from start to finish.

First Rick has a swollen thing beside his knee. High five to his lucky wife.

Then Brad is buying clothes that are tight in a certain area. He never mentions which certain area but I can use my imagination.

And, of course, the Star Trek bobbleheads....I just realized an hour passed before I realized that an hour passed.

Another vote for panniers... Also if you don't already have em, get fenders, it will make it a cleaner ride on those slushy days.

And a blinky light as a courtesy to the other people on the bow river path when there is no overhead lights to see you coming (actually everyone should have one I think, even dogs).

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, buddy! Mine is a urban style bike as well, but with more road type tires. I'm sure you will love it. I'm actually surprised how much I am liking the riding. I started out at about 15 KM each way, and I'm up to around 20 each way now. Been riding pretty much every day, except one day when it was absolutely pouring.

I just got a new Davinci commuter bike, been struggling with a 1989 Nishiki Mtn Bike to this point. it finally bit the dust and I can't believe how nice it is riding the new bike. I just love commuting via bicycle and have been doing it on and off since 1978. It gets me going in the morning, the stress from the day stays at the bottom of the hill when I climb out of the river valley, I'm in great shape, I sleep better, I have a good appetite, people comment on how healthy I look and I keep the pounds off, plus there's no road rage and it's way nicer than being in a shiny metal box during rush hour. Oh and the gas mileage is unbelievable and my parking costs are zilch.