Fly Fusion Forums

My First Trip To Mec

There are down sides. They have closed the trail just before the bird sanctuary. The signs for the detour were pretty poor, so 3 of us (who were all at the closed trail trying to figure out which way to go) decided to just go through the train yard, then thru Inglewood. Worked great. In the afternoon, I decided to try the true detour route, but it frankly sucked hiney. So today, back thru the train yard. Coming home, I entered the yard and there was a BIG private property sign. I figured since they hadn't stopped me two times before, I'd be ok (which is really against character for me, I'm a rule guy to tell the truth). It was a bit wet, and one of the set of tracks crossed the road at an angle. My front tire hit the rail and just slid right out on that angle.

I learned that road rash hurts way, way more at 51 than it did at 12. I learned that nice golf wind jackets do not stand up well to sliding down the road, much like both my legs and my right elbow. Gloves however are FANTASTIC pieces of equipment! And maybe the real detour does not suck as much hiney as I thought.

Well... I made it this morning! 45 minutes for ~13km. Google Maps shows 3 different routes from home to my work.. the first is 11.9km, but VERY zig-zaggy. Decided on route #3, which is 13km, but a lot more straightforward, and probably 50% on bike paths. Actually got to cross the top of the Glenmore Dam.. I didn't even realize you could do that. Pretty cool! Seemed like quite a few downhills though.. not particularly looking forward to the ride home this aft! haha

I need to get some proper clothing though.. it was a bit on the chilly side in shorts and two t-shirts this morning.. only 6C when I left. Got passed by a few, and they were all wearing spandex-looking pants and thin jackets. I'll get'r figured out eventually.

Trailhead - That's awesome! I plan on doing the same. I'll have to get some tips from you for winter riding...

Rick - Ouch! That sucks. Hopefully you heal up pretty quick!

Hey Ryan,

I refuse to go the spandex route. I did get a pad for my seat and that seemed to help. Butt isn't sore anymore anyway. You will want to get a breathable rain jacket and pants I think. MEC has them (back to the original topic) for some ok prices. I actually ended up ordering mine through a company in the UK. Cost around 140 for the jacket and pants. Once they arrive I'll give you a review. If you wear anything unbreathable (like my golf rain pants), you will burn up.

Leg is sore, but I can live with it. Rode in today, so it can't be that bad.

Ryan,

I'd actually cycle all three routes... What's up hill with one, may not be with the other (even though it's more "zig zaggy"), go one way on one of the routes and maybe back on another!! Variety is the spice of life, apparently!!

P

Hey Ryan,

I refuse to go the spandex route. I did get a pad for my seat and that seemed to help. Butt isn't sore anymore anyway. You will want to get a breathable rain jacket and pants I think. MEC has them (back to the original topic) for some ok prices. I actually ended up ordering mine through a company in the UK. Cost around 140 for the jacket and pants. Once they arrive I'll give you a review. If you wear anything unbreathable (like my golf rain pants), you will burn up.

Leg is sore, but I can live with it. Rode in today, so it can't be that bad.

If spandex ain't your thing (mine neither) may I suggest these liners. They have saved my ass, literally!

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail....534374302692435