Fly Fusion Forums

Bc Trip Report

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh the legendary high mountain redfish...... Rickr your grandfather would be ashamed at you for giving away that texas family secret spot.......

Grampa's been dead for awhile now, so I doubt he cares much. And the high mountain redfish had proved elusive through the years until Troutlover came armed with big streamers and maggots!

It never fails, you will always have people messaging you saying to keep a place quiet no matter where it is. I have had someone message me about pics I posted on the crow of all places.

Those are some great shots, I especially like all the under water ones. Those pics make me sad that I havent been able to make it back there for over 3 years now.

Taco is right on the mark. The Wigwam is definitely no secret anymore, and I really don't know if it was that much of a secret even 10 years ago.

The first article I read on the Wigwam was at least 15 years ago in an American publication that gave great details on how to get there and how to fish it.

The most recent was this year and it stated, "Make sure to include the Wigwam in your travel plans for the running of the Bull Trout...."

I don't mention names to avoid BS from people that cling to the slim hope that it might still be secret, but it's not.

I have no problem running into people on rivers because as most people that fish with me can tell you, I usually let others fish and I am happy to watch and help them catch fish. I like to run into people to bullshit and hear about their trip, etc., but I don't like coming across the Dicks that I seem to come across on the Wigwam.

The Wigwam is a stream that I look forward to fishing, but when finished, I usually try to figure out why I bothered. All the walking and climbing....and falling on rocks.....etc. ;) I know of too many other water systems in both Alberta and BC that are just as good or better, but figured we'd go to the Wigwam since I hadn't been since '04.

The other fella in the pictures is my cousin and he is still fishing around the area, (not the Wigwam), and has informed me that once again we made a mistake on our choice of river. Oh well, live and learn.

I won't say I won't return to the Wiggy, but as far as I'm concerned, the Guides and the Anglers with the attitudes can have the Wigwam. I'll go to other places where the other fishermen on the banks won't be so grumpy from the long drive and long difficult walk in.

I have also heard from local guides that the Wigwam is being hurt by the Classified licensing system because of its remoteness. People going in for a few days are forced to buy their licenses for 3 or 4 days at a time, therefore they are forced to put all of their fishing pressure on the one stream. If there was no Classified system in place, they could spread out the pressure to other streams. A glitch in the system.