Fly Fusion Forums

Bc Trip Report

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time we were there there was 4 guys from Montana running down the bank to get to "their" bully hole. We were just walking quickly downstream for a long way and then were going to fish for Cutts on the way back up. As we caught up to each guy in the line they gave us crap for running down the river. We told them our intention and that "their" bull trout were safe as we would be dry fly fishing. One guy just about came unglued that we would pass them. It was pretty funny/sad at the same time. We finally arrived at "their" destination at the same time as the lead angler, who sprinted to claim "their" hole. We laughed, wished him great luck with his 8wt and kept walking for another couple of miles. When we finally started fishing back upstream we didn't run into another angler all day. It was great. The next day we saw them in town at the grocery store. I so wanted to run up in front of one of the guys and take what ever item he was reaching for and run away.

Keep smilin' and don't let the jerks ruin your day

Troutlover and I ran into a couple of guys at the end of our day 1, scouting for the next days trip. They seemed very friendly. We also ran into a couple of fishermen on day 1 who were friendly as well as one guy on Sunday. So not all were buttheads.

Oh-

At about 4 pm on day 1, Brett and Tyler decide they are done for the day since they had already fished for two days, and Brett had been going for 4 straight counting the Bow. But Jared and I decide we would like to go after some cutts. So Brett and Tyler say to take the second right off the forestry road and drive right down to the river. But they say don't take the first right because it is too steep. Unfortunately for Jared and I, people from the Crowsnest Pass area can't seem to count. They were only off by one. The 2nd right was the STEEP one. In a Minivan. After fishing, on the way back up, I start spinning out on the steep, bumpy road. So I back up, stop, and pick out a path up. Jared walks up and clears rocks out of my path. Pin it, 6 cylinders of screaming Chrysler power roar to life and bounce my way up the hill (hope my wife never reads this as it's her van!) stop and pick up Jared. We look at each other with "Holy Crap" looks on our faces and drive to the next spot!

It would take more than people like this to wreck my day. I find it pretty funny when someone that might be a great person off the water can completely ignore someone that simply says hi and asks how their day is going. Jekyl and Hyde sydrome on the River.

My cousin and I laughed the whole time while we were actually on our way downstream to leave the river and two guys were running downstream to claim their spot. They must have felt stupid when we passed them and made our way off the water.

The paths going down the valley should tell anyone that the river is not secret anymore. Accept it and just fish.

We even brought an American with us in hopes of fitting in. It figures that the day we fished the busier section noone was around.

Here's some more under water pics. I took some under water video, but seem to have accidently deleted it....oops.

wigwam07084.jpg

wigwam07048.jpg

wigwam07024.jpg

wigwam07020.jpg

wigwam07018.jpg

wigwam07017.jpg

wigwam07010.jpg

Reminds me of an experience on the same stream this summer. My dad and I had paid our $20 and were heading in on the road when we got waved down by two nice ladies on the side of the road. We weren't sure if they needed help or what so naturally we pulled over. As it turned out, they were conducting surveys to gather information about recreational use in the area, and what people thought of conservation methods, etc. We thought it was great that they were doing this kind of research and were happy to help. I'll admit I was eager to get a line on the water but felt this was just as important and therefore had no issue taking the 10 minutes it required to fill it out.

Meanwhile, three or four other vehicles sped past, not giving a second thought to the fact that people were standing on the side of the road and that it wouldn't hurt to slow down a bit, and surprisingly enough another truck finally stopped as well. The passenger side window rolled down to reveal the deeply tanned face of an obviously annoyed and perturbed gentleman, and as he sat glaring at the poor girl doing the surveys, she informed them of what what they were doing and asked if they'd like to help. Turns out the driver was a guide, and the passenger his client, and they would only listen to what she had to say after she presented them with ID. The guide gladly offered to fill out the survey when he had some time, but it was obvious that his client could care less. The thought "Not my home waters, not my problem" came to mind. And his situation was understandable to some degree, because he had paid out a hefty chunk of change for a day on the water but it was a slightly disturbing thing to witness all the same. The girl handed the guide a survey and the passenger window rolled up without so much as a goodbye.

What a great trip as my 3 yeaar old son would say "Tottaly Awesome DUDE!!!!" I don't ussually grin that big and i really wanted to have a bad ass expression in that picture with that bad ass fish but i couldn't get that grin off my face WOW!.

day 1: Drove to B.C, got licence (don't go to canadian tire they've run out) saw bretts pics from two previouse days, changed underware, got a bit to eat and went into the mountains somewhere.

Day2: Got up early ate breakfast thanks to Rick. Got my shat together we piled into the van drove 300yrds to trailhead "Bret says huh i could have sworn it was further" (i think he ws getting sick of hiking). hike into canyon, and i am in awe it's very cool every thing is so big, the boulders and log jams that as i hiked through it made me feel so small it was a very cool feeeling and then we get to the first hole and i look down into the water and there is seriously 25lb bulls just crusing and my heart starts to pound. I get the FEVA. Get into my first bull and these fish just tottaly own your ass. going where they want and your just along for the ride. I get it close and it was a struggle, Rick goes for the tail grab and it busts loose from his hand and i scream "Comon RICK! you gotta GIVER!" HE says something like "i have skinny arms and i think i broke a nail" so i have another round with bully i get him into Rick this time he says "ah screw it" he kicks off his high heals charges into the water and then grabs that biyatch by the tail BEYAHHHHHH Sucka! (i mean bully). Rick hands the fish to me and then i say "HOLY CRAP! now thats a strong fish and then i get that they'er probly not the easiest thing to tail so then i say to Rick " Hey man, i get it, that fish was powERful!......and sorry you broke a nail".Rick is still pissed so he goes and breaks his rod in half but i don't think it made him feel any better. I caught a couple more in the 20" range. oh ya i almost forgot rick hooked up i chased his dam fish down the river 500yrds busted my knee twice missed the tail by an inch when it took off again down the rapids towards another boulder run i said F this S@#t grabed the rod out of Ricks hands and busted that biyatch off HEY! it was my rod! Rick shouldn't of got so pissed off and broke his in half. :mellow:

P.s.- Rick and me are still cool, with the understanding that his accepting my apology (for grabbbing the rod) has the condition that he will never let me forget about it.

Day 3: Another day in paradise got a 20" bully on a stimulator going for cuts and that was a great fight on the 4wt. Day was slow but sitll just great scenary and an awesome experience and great company. Oh and ahhh rick What secret stream i have no idea what your talking about ;) (and it will forever remain that way).

Thanks alot Brett, Rick and Tyler for a great time it's always great to get out and experience something new in life and i can truly say i never done that before. It's been filed into my memory mind to go and get when when i need a happy place. :lol:

HEY! what about my knee! is nobody sorry for my knee! Ricks shin only hurt for like two minutes..... HEy Rick sorry for your two minutes of pain :P

Whiner. And condescension will get you nowhere. By the way, did you find my high heels? I think I left them by the big logjam pool....

Nice report Brett!!

Good to hear you guys had a great trip(for the most part).

Wish I could've made it but I might head down this weekend.

Last time I fished there I carried 2 rods so I didn't have to be commited to Bulls or Cutts. It made the day alot nicer because we all know Bully fishing is sometimes kinda slow. Its nice to catch 10 or 20 cutts in between bullies.

Looking forward to the video.

P.S. I gotta get a underwater camera.

Later.

So Rick, did Troutlover use his maggots on those bullies or did he actually fly fish?

Well, I'm not really supposed to talk about that. Let's just say he was using streamers, but there always seemed to be some organic white substance hanging off the hook. And I sometimes thought I saw glimpses of a treble hook tied on as a stinger, but I'm sure I was mistaken.

Nice report Brett!!

Good to hear you guys had a great trip(for the most part).

Wish I could've made it but I might head down this weekend.

Last time I fished there I carried 2 rods so I didn't have to be commited to Bulls or Cutts. It made the day alot nicer because we all know Bully fishing is sometimes kinda slow. Its nice to catch 10 or 20 cutts in between bullies.

Looking forward to the video.

P.S. I gotta get a underwater camera.

Later.

Missed you on the trip Dave. I might work on the video today if I get the energy. The pool in the last video, (that you starred in), was taken of course but it sure was nice to have the nice worn in paths to walk in and out compared to the way we used to have to climb in.

I haven't decided between big Steelies or Big lake Rainbows in October, but I'll let you know as soon as I decide so we can maybe make plans.

Very nice pics. Looks like you guys had a great trip. If is where I think it is, I fished above your area a few weeks ago with a few partners and we did very well with cutts.

To bad some people are the way they are, but, you guys did not let that ruin a trip. Always remember, " Some are wise, and some are Otherwise!"

Going next year for 5 days for sure. May ask a question later with regards to camping.

Ha ha Rick i stole your high heals they were pretty. Oh and thanks for grabing my fish cuz you and i know he was on his way into that next pool and it would have been bye bye fish.

Wish you had grabbed mine. You could have dove towards that big rock and wrestled him into submission!

Olympus Stylus 770 SW.

Well, I got another PM from someone telling me to keep it low profile on these "Secret" streams. :lol:

Even if everyone knew where these streams were, they wouldn't know where to go to fish them. Plus, most of the people that have PM'd me are wrong on the location anyway.

I have streams that I consider to be secret, or less used, and trust me, if I thought these streams were even close to being secret, I wouldn't post anything about them. The 5 or 6 vehicles at each access point tell me that it isn't a secret, not to mention the 20 to 30 people camped in the suitable areas.

We're not going to go down that road anyways right?

I almost have the video completed and will post it when It's done.

MTB I am sure you are not worried about those who PM about this. Your posts are always informative and you did not tell anyone where you were. Plus, if for some reason another angler uses their spidy sences and makes it to stream X, they still have to cath them.

Nice trip you boys had. I will be doing one in the AREA next year as mentioned.

Cheers