Fly Fusion Forums

The Crowded Bow?

I've decided that since I'm getting old, and would like to delay physically breaking down as long as possible, that I needed to do something about my physical fitness. So I decided to start biking to work. Since I live in Chaparral and work downtown, that's a pretty long haul. So I decided to drive to Southland Dog Park and bike in from there. Tonite was the test drive to see how long it would take. The route is pretty much along the Bow for the vast majority of the ride.

I did see lots (ok, maybe 10-15) fisherman during the ride. But it was amazing to me how much fairly easy to get to, very nice looking water was completely ignored. What I saw was that if there was not a parking spot within 5 minutes of a run, nobody would be in it. Now, I will readily admit I haven't really fished much at all above the dog park, so I don't know how it fishes. It would however shock me if there was not lots of good fishing between the park and the weir because there sure seems to be a lot of pretty water. Unless there was a bridge or someplace where where people could easily park, then there would be people. And when I did see fishermen, they were generally in groups. I think I only saw one or two guys fishing where no one else was around, though there were many, many opportunities. And I did see 3 guys fishing Southland with a bunch of dogs around. On the off leash side, which I always find funny.

People, no matter what you hear, this is NOT a crowded river. If you put 10 minutes into your feet, or better yet, into a bike, you can easily find fantastic water that you will have all to yourself. Hell, the city gave us bike paths to help us! Or you can go to all the popular places and wonder where all the people came from. I like easy to get to places as much as anyone. But I also have found it does not take much work to find solitude, even within the city limits.

I've decided that since I'm getting old, and would like to delay physically breaking down as long as possible, that I needed to do something about my physical fitness. So I decided to start biking to work. Since I live in Chaparral and work downtown, that's a pretty long haul. So I decided to drive to Southland Dog Park and bike in from there. Tonite was the test drive to see how long it would take. The route is pretty much along the Bow for the vast majority of the ride.

I did see lots (ok, maybe 10-15) fisherman during the ride. But it was amazing to me how much fairly easy to get to, very nice looking water was completely ignored. What I saw was that if there was not a parking spot within 5 minutes of a run, nobody would be in it. Now, I will readily admit I haven't really fished much at all above the dog park, so I don't know how it fishes. It would however shock me if there was not lots of good fishing between the park and the weir because there sure seems to be a lot of pretty water. Unless there was a bridge or someplace where where people could easily park, then there would be people. And when I did see fishermen, they were generally in groups. I think I only saw one or two guys fishing where no one else was around, though there were many, many opportunities. And I did see 3 guys fishing Southland with a bunch of dogs around. On the off leash side, which I always find funny.

People, no matter what you hear, this is NOT a crowded river. If you put 10 minutes into your feet, or better yet, into a bike, you can easily find fantastic water that you will have all to yourself. Hell, the city gave us bike paths to help us! Or you can go to all the popular places and wonder where all the people came from. I like easy to get to places as much as anyone. But I also have found it does not take much work to find solitude, even within the city limits.

well said. i have also found that if you walk 10 minutes from where you park you rarely find anyone else.. so in saying that.. i'm a walker! find me some fresh water

Now, I will readily admit I haven't really fished much at all above the dog park, so I don't know how it fishes. It would however shock me if there was not lots of good fishing between the park and the weir because there sure seems to be a lot of pretty water. Unless there was a bridge or someplace where where people could easily park, then there would be people. And when I did see fishermen, they were generally in groups. I think I only saw one or two guys fishing where no one else was around, though there were many, many opportunities. And I did see 3 guys fishing Southland with a bunch of dogs around. On the off leash side, which I always find funny.

I fish a lot of that part of the river as it's close to work. There's LOTS of good spots in that stretch and it's actually pretty easy to access all of those spots with a car except maybe the west bank just below Peigan bridge, that spot involves a bit more walking.

When I was younger, I used to bike and fish all down the bow pathway, it's amazing how much water you can hit with a bike. Next time you should take a rod with you and give yourself 4 hours to bike home :)

sometimes you walk that 15 minutes only to find someone in the run you had your heart set on though :)

There's lots of water though! I never have trouble finding GOOD water to fish, that's for sure. So much of the Bow is overlooked by so many people. Most guys fish typical spots ALL the time. I have found that by fishing it all sometimes you find little hidden gems, maybe a 4 foot deep by 3 foot wide trough in a riffle, that no one else fishes, and boom... you have your own spot that you get 3 fish from almost every time. I'm sure I walk right past other people's private heaven's as well!!! :)

Welcome to the cycle commuter cult. It's a great way to wake up and/or unwind, is less stressful than car commuting, and is very scenic on those warm, summer evenings (think lycra).

Is my butt always going to be sore? And I categorically refuse to buy lycra! I wore a ratty fishing t-shirt and some ancient shorts. A fashion diva I am not.

I also almost fell down the stairs at work this morning when my knees utterly buckled just after the ride in!

I fish a lot of that part of the river as it's close to work. There's LOTS of good spots in that stretch and it's actually pretty easy to access all of those spots with a car except maybe the west bank just below Peigan bridge, that spot involves a bit more walking.

When I was younger, I used to bike and fish all down the bow pathway, it's amazing how much water you can hit with a bike. Next time you should take a rod with you and give yourself 4 hours to bike home :)

Already thought of that! I'd want it to get a bit warmer so I don't have to mess with waders, but plans are already hatching.......

Is my butt always going to be sore? And I categorically refuse to buy lycra! I wore a ratty fishing t-shirt and some ancient shorts. A fashion diva I am not.

I would highly recommend getting some bike shorts. They seem expensive for what they are, however they are worth it in my opinion. You can wear them under regular shorts/pant to avoid looking like a dork. I use these:)

I also almost fell down the stairs at work this morning when my knees utterly buckled just after the ride in!

Already thought of that! I'd want it to get a bit warmer so I don't have to mess with waders, but plans are already hatching.......

Any suggestions about what pattern imitates these 'plans'?!

I do that all the time throw the bike in the back of the truck park wherever and ride the path. The Bow is amazing for access, not a spot you can't fish, and the fish seem to be everywhere... Just because no one fishes a spot does't mean its not a good spot to fish...

Welcome to the cycle commuter cult. It's a great way to wake up and/or unwind, is less stressful than car commuting, and is very scenic on those warm, summer evenings (think lycra).

I commute by bike everyday and started taking the long "scenic" route that goes way out of my way just for that reason!!!!

If you don't wear some kind of biking shorts your ass will hurt. Have a look at something that has a padded liner in it. Pretty comfortable and you don't have to sport the mooseknuckle look all the time. As far as hauling stuff goes, if you're good at packing, you can stow your gear in panniers or do what I do, use a trailer. I use a BOB trailer to haul my bellyboat and waders up fireroads and out to remote streams pretty regularily.

It takes about 2 weeks of riding every day for the butt to toughen up.

The lycra shorts with the chamois padding are more comfortable for riding. Also trains you for the future when you need Depends. Years ago the young girls in the office liked my lycra shorts. Now I think it makes them uncomfortable - like catching their uncle in his underwear.

Hi just sayin...........I remember years ago when I was very new to the sport and new to this river. One thing that I always have admired , is/was the comraderie between Fly Fisherman . Fly Swaps , waves , tips o' the hat , just even a darn knod , mini fishing reports etc .

Now I do notice , these days ....how fortunate we are to recieve any sort of aknowledgement other than the " blank stare" .

I have been over absorbed in chasing the almighty pieces of paper that seems to be of more value to life than oxygen . For years , and after a life changing visit with some Doctors and learning the plans they have in store for me , I tend to chase the little things in life that make MY world so darn grande ....

And in doing so...call me sensitive or what have you , but jeez , there seems to be a " Every dog for himself " , mentality now a days on this river , and sometimes the tension that resonates unfriendliness....did i miss something?

I certainly get the point , it is a big city .

I don't care , I will still be the one , " To surprise you when I say Hi " with a big dumb smile .

If you take some quotes from this thread outta context, its downright scary!!!

Rickr asks, "Is my butt always going to be sore?"

Castuserraticus replies, "It takes about 2 weeks of riding every day for the butt to toughen up."

Sounds like a conversation between cellmates... :devil:

If you take some quotes from this thread outta context, its downright scary!!!

Rickr asks, "Is my butt always going to be sore?"

Castuserraticus replies, "It takes about 2 weeks of riding every day for the butt to toughen up."

:laugh:

Everyone's thinkin' it....you're just sayin it, eh Bob?

[quote name='BobLoblaw' date='May 17 2011, 05:00 PM' post='143233'

Don't know about cellmates, but it does make me reminisce about my days on the submarine.........

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good on you for riding, its way more fun than driving to work and you will be in great shape in no time if you stick with it! You can ride every day of the year also, you would be surprised how easy it is down to -20... below that, not so easy but still doable.

Now that I am living in oklahoma city, with little or no safe bike routes, I sure do miss the bow river path. And like you said, you will always know of a few fishy spots and river conditions. B)

Cheers,

Jon