Fly Fusion Forums

Reward For Reporting Poachers?

Hi there everyone,

I frequent some of the areas that are currently closed to fishing and in the past have noticed guys fishing out of season. Unfortunately, I've never had a cell phone or the RAP number when I'm out, but now I'm going to bring both along. Anyways, does one receive a reward for reporting a poacher?

I plan to report them regardless (obviously), but I'm just curious if there is a monetary incentive for individuals to do so.

Thanks in advance,

Fisher

your reward is a fishery for your kids to enjoy.i now carry a report a poacher card with me at all times so i have the number close.my son is 10 and has his first fly rod and i want him to be able to enjoy this fishery in his later years.

your reward is a fishery for your kids to enjoy.i now carry a report a poacher card with me at all times so i have the number close.my son is 10 and has his first fly rod and i want him to be able to enjoy this fishery in his later years.

Obviously. It's not like I won't report them unless I get a reward--being a fisherman I have a vested interest in the resource. My question, however, pertained to the existence of a monetary incentive.

I made a call two years ago and the Co was in the area and stopped the poachers. Tickets were handed out an convictions were made. A few month later I had a cheque for just over $300.00 bucks. I've made a lot of calls but that one payed off. The province has a fund set aside for this so why not go for it. Just a nice bonus if you happen to get it.

The big reward is having these guys busted and doing your part to protect what has given you so much.

That being said a reward definately helps. I called in a couple of poachers on the NW section four or five years ago. Turns out these guys were repeat offenders and were clearly busted with multiple counts, so I pretty much found out that day I was getting a reward. I was just happy that I had put a stop to a couple more poachers on my home waters.

I have called the RAP line more times than I could count, most the time I never heard what happened or the CO said the guys were gone when he got there. The more times you call the better though, and maybe eventually you'll get a $300 reward for it. I got a new fly rod and they probably got thousands in fines, which in my mind was the ultimate F-you to those pricks

;mornCoffee: Last year, I reported some poachers in FCP and the CO told me at that time, that I could" be up for a reward, as they apparently do a draw at the end of each month, and the winner gets the financial reward and the rest get the satisfaction that we did our part towards a better fishery!

I made a call two years ago and the Co was in the area and stopped the poachers. Tickets were handed out an convictions were made. A few month later I had a cheque for just over $300.00 bucks. I've made a lot of calls but that one payed off. The province has a fund set aside for this so why not go for it. Just a nice bonus if you happen to get it.

I'm in the same boat. I've made numerous calls over the years. On one occassion last year I did end up cashing in ($400) which was a nice surprise.