Fly Fusion Forums

Who Are The Pro's

DonAndersen

I think this thread is just like a "help me out" type of deal where someone can just ask a question and someone will more than likely answer it. I know there are alot of knowlegable

people registered in the forum, who answer a lot of the questions with very thorough and researched responses.

Anybody can be a pro if they have a good response and be able to help the person asking the question, whether the question is about tippet or trout behavior.

I think a pro is anyone who believes they have anything valuable to add to a certain thread..It all comes down the discretion of the person posting the thread if they think the advice is indeed valuable.. I guess the only way to regulate only "pros" replying would be to put a restriction on only higher ranking members or moderators fielding questions.

(However if this was the case you may miss out on lots of valuable advice..just because a member has a lower ranking does'nt mean they have less FF experience.)

I agree that the "Pros" are the people that can answer the particular question being asked.

This might be someone that just picked up a fly rod last week, but either knows the answer, or has their own opinion to express. It could also be someone that has been Fly Fishing for 60 years.

While fishing with Toolman last week, (who BTW is very qualified to be called a "Pro"), I told him that I learn a lot from someone that is new to the sport sometimes because they are at the "Learning" stage and are constantly researching, where someone that has been around the sport as long as I have might get complacent.

It's like the Journeyman learning from the apprentice that just finished school.

As for credentials for the veterans on this site.

From the ones I know, they are more than qualified to answer most questions thrown out there.

I personally enjoy helping people new to this great sport.

I have 30+ years of experience with a fly rod in hand, and information was hard to come by in the time I was learning.

So, if I can contribute what I've learned from others over the years, or from trial and error, I'm more than happy to do so.

I wouldn't consider myself a "Pro", but with the amount of time I have invested in this, I have gained a vast amount of knowledge that I am more than happy to pass on.

I've been lucky enough to have fished with some unbelievable people in my lifetime and gone on some amazing trips.

I've caught just about every type of fish in Western North America on a fly rod and hope that everyone out there gets a chance to do the same.

I think it is great that there are places like this, with sections like "Ask the Pros" around for the new and Experienced to share what they know.

For example; Rickr is new to the sport and got the chance to catch his first "Red" on a fly rod. This is something I may never do, but I can live vicariously through his stories.

Also, if I ever do get a chance to do it, I can use his experience to aid me in catching some myself. Rick has less than a year of fly fishing under his belt, but already has an experience to share that most of us don't.

So, who are the "Pros"? I'd say it might be everyone here depending on the question or topic.

All,

Been lead down the garden path several times and am just curious what it takes to make a "Pro" and who they or she/he might be?

catch ya'

Don

LOL....Fair question Don. A new title may be in order for this Section.

I would also add, that the questions bieng asked are most often about things that new flyfishers are learning and bieng an expert is not always really necessary, to be able to respond informatively and correctly. It is obvious that folks want to help their fellow angler and contribute their knowledge and experience and for that I say thank you to all who have posted. Your input is what creates a close knit flyfishing community.

That said, a panel of veterans flyfishers, maybe including Don, Clive and others, would be a great asset to our community as well. Would you be interested Don?

Toolman,

I, like a lot of folks on this board, have some experience. In my case, I quit chasing technology about 1995. Realized it was similar to Chev changing the fenders and calling the car a new model. I now use cane nearly exclusively, fish with Hardy reels acquired over the past 40 years & trying to wear them out, don't have breathable waders and never expect to buy them, been using Cortland 444's for 35 years or so and hope Cortland doesn't screw them up by "improving" them. For that reason, I'm outta the loop of what's hot or not.

Mind you, do use some of the new leader material but build them myself and did acquire 2 neutral density fly lines this year so I guess I'm still in the market place.

But the fish are much the same. So, if the question is about fish or fisheries issues, I may have an opinion and if I can advance the knowledge, I'll contribute.

Hope that is OK by all.

catch ya'

Don

Toolman,

I, like a lot of folks on this board, have some experience. In my case, I quit chasing technology about 1995. Realized it was similar to Chev changing the fenders and calling the car a new model. I now use cane nearly exclusively, fish with Hardy reels acquired over the past 40 years & trying to wear them out, don't have breathable waders and never expect to buy them, been using Cortland 444's for 35 years or so and hope Cortland doesn't screw them up by "improving" them. For that reason, I'm outta the loop of what's hot or not.

Mind you, do use some of the new leader material but build them myself and did acquire 2 neutral density fly lines this year so I guess I'm still in the market place.

But the fish are much the same. So, if the question is about fish or fisheries issues, I may have an opinion and if I can advance the knowledge, I'll contribute.

Hope that is OK by all.

You are exactly the type of person that should be sharing their knowledge.

Your statement backs up my Journeyman learning from the Apprentice theory.

The apprentice can show the wise old journeyman some of the "New" ways of doing things, etc., but the Journeyman has the wisdom and experience that the apprentice can only learn "On the job".

I, like you, basically stopped trying to keep up with technology awhile back and figured out long ago that it is the fisherman that "catches" the fish, not necessarily the hi-tech equipment they are using.

I look forward to adding some of your knowledge to my Bank.

Thanks Don, your input will be greatly appreciated. Now, a question for you while we have your ear...

Could you explain the deep water indi rig you developed recently for stillwater fishing, that I saw on your site, which utilizes swivels etc. Very cool set up. If you could post the diagrams or a link, it would be helpfull. I thought this set up very innovative and can you tell us how it has been performing.

To me a pro is a guy who is well rounded. He ties, he fishes different waters, catches all species, tries new stuff. This section is meant to spur conversation to help rookies out. You don't have to be an expert with everything but if you have some tips for anyone please share them. Hell I love learning something new every day. I'm far from a pro but im also far from a rookie too.

Although i'm an expert wind knot tyer at bullshead lake if anyone wants lessons lemme know.

I've always considered a "professional angler" as someone who actually makes their living ($$$) off the sport (like a professional athlete - just with a bigger gut!). Clearly that does not make you a good fisherman. It does however imply that you have considerable experience and exposure to the sport, the market, techniques, etc. anything that would be of interest to making your living. Also, if you were a guide it would expose you to the entire range of skill levels, attitudes, and misconceptions as well (also a pretty good repertoire of bullshit fishing stories from across the globe!).

With that definition - it would rule out most of the old farts on the board who don't make a living off the sport, yet do have considerable experience over many others. However, when it comes to gadgets and such the old farts might not be the best crowd if they are still marveling at the new technology of colour television...

I used to be a professional, however now I'm just an old fart who shoots his mouth off now. Much like Abe Simpson...I can complain really well!

All,

Been lead down the garden path several times and am just curious what it takes to make a "Pro" and who they or she/he might be?

catch ya'

Don

I've read conflicting advice from *real* experts' magazine articles and books hundreds of times. That garden path is well worn.

As long as a person is willing to share their flies, techniques, experience, etc with me, they are pro in my book.

Compare that to the guy down the lake who's hauling the fish in. When you ask him what he's using, he says "A hook!". That person is not a pro, no matter how many fish he's catching.

I'd have to agree with that as we on this forum likely only have a couple of guys who are certified guides, or certified casting instructors, or certified tying instructers ect. And these people are certified or trained for a reason they make money doing it. And they rightfully can expect to make money by dispersing this info. This site has a lot of really good regular fisherman who are decent enough to share their experience and techniques ect. Considering they are doing it for free I feel we should not question credentials and instead appreciate the help as they are, in the order of unpaid fly fishermen, professionals. If of course someone is unsatisfied with help supplied for free on here they can easily enough find a certified instructor or guide and pay for it...... But like any online forum and any advice found within them you need to take the advice with a grain of salt as perhaps the way it is explained and the way you comprehend it may be different things. Maybe you need to alter it to fit your situation....... advice is great but practice creates the master

Also, if you were a guide it would expose you to the entire range of skill levels, attitudes, and misconceptions as well (also a pretty good repertoire of bullshit fishing stories from across the globe!).

I used to be a professional, however now I'm just an old fart who shoots his mouth off now. Much like Abe Simpson...I can complain really well!

I think I fit into this category quite well, though as of yet I don't consider myself an old fart just yet :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Toolman,

The deep water system + a full discussion of using different type of yarn indicators can be found @

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/dmanders/indicators.html

It must be appreciated, that I've only used the deep water system for about 2 years. Still working on it but for the most part, the kinks are about polished out. Appeals to my Scottish nature as well.

regards,

Don

And on the guide thing

Do get a kick outta guides all fishing the same way - some times they are right - sometimes wrong. But a herd they are!

.....And on the guide thing

Do get a kick outta guides all fishing the same way - some times they are right - sometimes wrong. But a herd they are!

How true is this.

I forgot more about fishing while guiding than I learned personally.

I have a lot of respect for someone that guides, don't get me wrong, It's a Hard way to make a Living.

I stopped guiding because I enjoy fishing too much and wanted to do so.

I was tired of telling stories, while rowing the boat, while untangling knots, while answering strange questions about non-relevant things, while constantly proving I'm qualified to these people, while DUCKING to avoid losing my teeth or eyes, while......well you get the picture.

I basically turned from a Fisherman, to an oarsman.

I think this has something to do with all the guides using the same methods.

After awhile, you are forced to lose your creativity and resort to "What-ever-works" to get people into fish.

I have a lot of respect for someone like Max that still takes a lot of time for himself on the river. I hope He can continue to do so.

Don't let the greed or more likely, bills, force you to give up fishing for yourself, to resign to rowing a boat for others every day.

I don't mean to offend anyone with this, just saying what I found from my own experience......wait, there's no Karma points on the new board, what do I care.

I should have known better when I started, that something was up.

I was telling Max how I got into guiding and he thought it was funny.

I was "Tricked" into it.

Long story short, I went into a particular shop I frequented and the owner asked me if I wanted to make an easy couple hundred bucks.

Being a Fish/Ski bum, I jumped at it....All I had to do was take these two nice American Fellas and get them into some fish.

To be honest, I really didn't even know I was "Guiding" at the time. I was just helping out some nice people that didn't know the area.

It snowballed from there to where I was guiding on at least 5 different rivers/streams and hadn't picked up my own rod for so long I couldn't remember.

I loved telling people that I was a "Guide" though at the time, but man was that a hard way to barely break the poverty line.

Only took me a couple of seasons to decide it wasn't for me, oh and my wife telling me she was pregnant helped too.

Don't get me wrong, I had some great times doing it and met some great people as well. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

How true is this.

I forgot more about fishing while guiding than I learned personally.

I have a lot of respect for someone that guides, don't get me wrong, It's a Hard way to make a Living.

I stopped guiding because I enjoy fishing too much and wanted to do so.

I was tired of telling stories, while rowing the boat, while untangling knots, while answering strange questions about non-relevant things, while constantly proving I'm qualified to these people, while DUCKING to avoid losing my teeth or eyes, while......well you get the picture.

I basically turned from a Fisherman, to an oarsman.

I think this has something to do with all the guides using the same methods.

After awhile, you are forced to lose your creativity and resort to "What-ever-works" to get people into fish.

I have a lot of respect for someone like Max that still takes a lot of time for himself on the river. I hope He can continue to do so.

Don't let the greed or more likely, bills, force you to give up fishing for yourself, to resign to rowing a boat for others every day.

I don't mean to offend anyone with this, just saying what I found from my own experience......wait, there's no Karma points on the new board, what do I care.

Some good generalizations there. As much as you learn, you forget too. Alot of what you learn is specific to a particular body of water vs. fishing in general.

One of the reasons IMHO that guides fish the same so often is that you find out what's working, therefore you utilize it to maximize your "fish in boat" which of course translates into happy clients. I've spent many a day wondering "Why TF this isn't working today?" then turning to my clients and saying "We can do this all day and hopefully get some fish - or...if you're interested we can try something different. It might work, it might be a waste of time. But I'm being straight with you because I'm getting frustrated with the "same old thing" not working here and you're paying me to catch you fish and think about how to do that...right?". Most times their into it and you wind up suddenly turning a sleeper day into something that is special. The fellow I learned to guide from is definitely an "away from the pack" guy and encouraged guides who worked for him to try new stuff. It stuck with me.

What makes me glad I don't guide anymore (although I miss it too), is because when you find yourself casting to a 8lb rainbow cruising the shallows catching it, landing it and letting it go, then realizing your heartbeat barely changed...you've lost what it is which made fishing exiting in the first place. I'm thankful now (and a bit worried too!) that my heartbeat actually increases in situations like that again! It took a while but it came back. I always wonder if I'd kept guiding, would it ever come back?

Remember though, ANYTHING can turn from passion into just a job. Heck if you had to have sex 8 hours a day 5 days a week day in day out - it would be just a job after a while wouldn't it (well, maybe a looong while - but eventually)? I wonder if Ron Jeremy feels that way?