Fly Fusion Forums

Remember Brian's Bear Story?

LynnF

sorry to derail the hijacked thread but...

for those of us who don't know the story, why is there a grizzly bear licking that man's face and not chewing it off? :blink:

there has to be some reason because i don't know anyone crazy enough to cuddle with a grizzly bear and lived to tell about it. and i know A LOT of crazy people

is this one just young or trained??? man or bear - which ever

Well for those of u who want to hear the story... I was on the Livingstone... I had wandered ahead of the group by about a pool or two (heading downstream)... I had gone around the pool in the bushes to avoid the trout spooking, and gotten into a position to cast back up into the pool for some nice cutties that I had seen rising. No sooner do I start my casting in this pool, than from about 15ft away from the bushes on the other side of the pool a bear pokes his nose out, and comes through pretty much right there. At this point I don't have time to do anything but attempt to remain calm and not do anything stupid.. I'm hoping it goes away, I keep casting.. it walks around behind me so I transfer from casting over my right shoulder to casting over my left.... becuase hooking a griz in the arse is probably NOT a good idea... and then he sniffs my ear... then down the whole right side of me... and then kinda wanders over to the bank, and sorta sits down.. like he's watching me fish.. by this time I had peed my pants... :blink::blink::blink:

It felt like an hour but it was probably only 30 seconds he watched what I was doing and then left. I guess he figured I was a crappy fisherman and wasn't gonna get him dinner that day... actually I didn't let my fly sit in the drift for more than a second... I was picking it up right away once it landed... I didn't want to hook one... probably the only time in my life where I desperately did NOT want to hook one!!

The guys coming downstream did witness the bear sitting on the bank and leaving, but not the sniff job I got. I still get the hair on the back of my neck standing up when I think of that. :blink: