Fly Fusion Forums

Campers For Small Trucks

Went to the RV show to try and find a camper for my truck. Boy was I disapointed with the selection.

Yes they did have campers there, they were awesome!!!!! bathrooms, full kitchens, queen size beds, full size fridges, microwaves and numerous other ridiculous extras.

The only problem is that I do not own a 1 ton Ford truck with dual rear wheels! I have a Tundra with a 1100 lb standard load rating.

So I enquired with the RV dealers about pop-up campers. I go fishing/camping by myself or with a buddy, and a place off the ground to sleep, a stove, and a heater is all I really need>

Well let me tell you, the people at all the Calgary RV dealerships did not have a clue as to where to get popup campers. It was like I was talking in some strange Somalian dialect to these turkeys.

If any body has any info in regards to Pop up campers, it would be much appreciated, Thanx

P.S. before i get any smart alec remarks about owning a TUNDRA.................. Just remember: If you can't afFORD a Tundra, then DODGE the issue!!!

So why did you by a Tundra if you wanted a camper?

1100lbs wow not much at all,even the ones for ford rangers are too heavy.How does that make you feel?? <--poke--<

The Tundra is meant to tow and it does it well,either get a trailer or get a truck meant for a camper.

Oh and here i found one that will work for Tundras

yhst9118133355226521429.gif

Just one more..

Whats the diff. between a wheel barrow and a Tundra??

Nothing ,They have the same payload cap.

So why did you by a Tundra if you wanted a camper?

1100lbs wow not much at all,even the ones for ford rangers are too heavy.How does that make you feel?? <--poke--<

The Tundra is meant to tow and it does it well,either get a trailer or get a truck meant for a camper.

Oh and here i found one that will work for Tundras

yhst9118133355226521429.gif

Just one more..

Whats the diff. between a wheel barrow and a Tundra??

Nothing ,They have the same payload cap.

i knew you would reply Tungsten!!!! its too bad your chev is falling apart eh? hit too many handicap signs eh?

i knew you would reply Tungsten!!!! its too bad your chev is falling apart eh? hit too many handicap signs eh?

Heated leather seats don't make a truck, maybe your 280 amp deep cycle battery will get you to the boat launch!!!

I've been looking for a light weight camper for awhile, something that fits a Taco. Here is my rationalization.

Plan A. I've come to the conclusion, that the Tacoma (actually has a payload very similar to most 1/2 tons, 1350lbs), although a great little truck, just isn't going to cut it. Any camper that actually fit's and doesn't push the truck over it's limit, is basically a glorified topper. Not to mention big dollar, and you're only taking you. No stuff.

Plan B was a 1/2 ton, gives a guy a few more options as far as finding a camper that will fit, but most '1/2 ton campers' are right at the payload limit, dry. Add a dozen rods, beer, the dog, water, food ect, and you're over. What about the boat?

Plan C was a 3/4 ton, it should handle all but the very heaviest campers, with enough payload left over for stuff and can pull the boat. But......depending on how fancy you (read: the wife), want to get, they're going to cost some bucks. Also, everytime you want to drive somewhere, camp must be broken.

Current; Plan D. 3/4 ton, small (like 20-22') fifth wheel with a boat hitch. Didn't mean to succumb to Albertansyndrom, but it happened. I know BC is out with this setup, but the same dollars are going to buy me way more RV in a fifth wheel than a camper. I realize fuel costs are probably going to increase with this setup, but an overloaded 1/2 ton is going to eat fuel. For the ~10k/year a put on my vehicle, I can handle it. My Tacoma's mileage isn't amazing anyways.

There's a reason why most of the campers you see, are on the backs of 3/4 or 1 tons. I know people do it, but can't see how they're not over weight in a 1/2 ton. Most half tons have a payload between 1300 and 1700 lbs. Most half ton campers come in dry around 1300 or 1400lbs. I feel sorry for those trucks. You're basically @^%$ed with an 1100lb payload. Tungsten is right, if you don't need to pull anything else, get a bumper pull trailer.

Plan R; 60' Diesel pusher motor home with a 35' enclosed for a tow vehicle and jet boat.

Get out there and stimulate that economy.

Trip..

If you wish to go to a trailer, have a look @ Escape Trailers.http://escapetrailer.com/Home.aspx

We're picking up our new one next month.

Was looking for a sleep 2 in separate beds, bath/shower, insulated, thermo-windows, <2300 lbs. dry + 250 hitch weight. These folks do that. The best part, it's a CDN company.

catch ya'

Don

Went to the RV show to try and find a camper for my truck. Boy was I disapointed with the selection.

Yes they did have campers there, they were awesome!!!!! bathrooms, full kitchens, queen size beds, full size fridges, microwaves and numerous other ridiculous extras.

The only problem is that I do not own a 1 ton Ford truck with dual rear wheels! I have a Tundra with a 1100 lb standard load rating.

So I enquired with the RV dealers about pop-up campers. I go fishing/camping by myself or with a buddy, and a place off the ground to sleep, a stove, and a heater is all I really need>

Well let me tell you, the people at all the Calgary RV dealerships did not have a clue as to where to get popup campers. It was like I was talking in some strange Somalian dialect to these turkeys.

If any body has any info in regards to Pop up campers, it would be much appreciated, Thanx

P.S. before i get any smart alec remarks about owning a TUNDRA.................. Just remember: If you can't afFORD a Tundra, then DODGE the issue!!!

Hey Triploid

I saw a lot of pop ups at the show.......................also saw the prices for RV's in Canada and wow!!!!!! Bought after Christmas in the States with the par dollar.

Anyhow, I went through a lot of what you are going through ( payload) when looking for my fifthwheel. I also own a half ton although the term half ton really is obsolete.

I have a 2010 F150 with the 7700 gvwr and 1800 payload, max tow etc. and looked at well over 20 fivers claiming half ton towable...................bull@#$%^&

Finally found one with a 1090 pin weight, bunks for kids and 7050 pounds, with propane, battery etc. I am still close on 2 of my limits.

I guess what I am saying is there turned out to be an option..........but with the camper in box you want I am not sure.

Once again, our trucks rate to pull 11000 - 10000 but would max out tounge/pin/ axle long before that!!!!! again bull!@#$%^

Good luck.

lots of good pop ups to be found used with furnace, 3 way fridge etc. I had one 3 years ago I paid 4 grand and sold for 3200. Great rig.

post-2125-1298514526.jpg

Don't they make some of these for Tundras?

Ha Ha Toungesten, did u steal those training wheels from the kid next door? Be careful you could get your "dirty dancing leg warmers" all tangled up in those wheels!!!!!

Put less into my Chev than my buddy into his tundra, and mine rides way better both of them 2007's. That said i would not put a camper on any half ton unless it was really light. I got an rv that has 320 pounds of pin weight, drives like a dream.

If i did not have a wife, i would get a tent trailer flip the axles, and my limitation on where i could go would be the truck.