Fly Fusion Forums

22cal Air Rifles?

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

So im looking for the Styer LG110 series for some bird shooting in the fall. I so far can not find a Canadian retailer for Styer. Do any of you have some suggestions.

Thanks

Jeremy

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

ultimately im looking for something light for back packing and that sort of thing but any SR is PIMP. Do they still put the gas tube in the stock?

Now that I live in the land of "shootin stuff" I have heard a few reports of people hunting hogs with air rifles... Apparently gamo makes something in 25 cal that packs quite a punch.

But then again, I doubt you can get that in Canada without all the usual permits and such.

High powered air rifles generally aren't that light, something pushing a .22 cal pellet at around 900 FPS is probably going to weigh around 7-8 lbs. On the other hand the average .22 rimfire repeater is probably going to be around 5 lbs. You can also get break down models that are lighter and would probably pack better like this one http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/selfloading/70pss.asp Just my $0.02...

I recommend this... ;)

215060900_AgstK-M.jpg

It is small enough and packs a big wallop heck it can even fire off .410 shells and perchance you run into a grizzly situation the 45/70 caliber

will do the trick.

Plus if you reload and up it to a 400+ grain bullet any birds in the near vicinity fall dead from just from the concussion. B)

Other than that there are some .22 cal Shotgun combos you can find used on the gun forums that might fit the bill.

If your a plinker I would get your FAC and go .22 rimfire. The PAL is not hard to get and courses are always available.

Challenge the course is also a great option if you have firearms experience. Get the book read go take the test (paper and practical)

Try crappy tire on McLeod Trail they have a decent selection of guns

Russels use to have a selction on HP air rifles both in .177 and .22....................seen them there (catolog) pushing 1250 fps.............anything over 490 fps will require paperwork.........whoelsale should carry them aswell..............Goona run you up to 8 hundy for something high end...............but there are the odd one avaible in the 3 hundy range.

I'd love to have a 22/410 over-under - they seem more rare and expensive these days - I had one I bought second hand when I was young, but sadly sold it in the eighties. perfect grouser, and always rabbit ready...

I still have, and use occaisonally, my dads .22 savage that was issued to him when he was an army cadet (back when you got to take your rifle home after cadet camp)

Coincidentally I just chopped a bunch of siezed AK-47's and some Israeli tactical SA's into pieces for the RCMP detachment up here (Supervised by a member of course, so there was no sneaking one home LOL) - that was kinda fun, and heartbreaking, just cause they were cool rifles to handle, and destroy

P1010011.jpg

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

Dabcaster - that is one of my dream guns!!! I love repeaters.

But for most birds that i want they are usually 10-20 ft in front of me and dont require that much of a punch lol

great info guys!!