Fly Fusion Forums

Never Buy A Car From This Guy

Around 2 years ago I bought a Dodge Ram 1500. This freed up my old 2000 saturn to give to my son. He got the car in October I think, and by November he had totalled it sliding down an icy hill into an unsuspecting Highlander. And that began the great car odyssey of 2009-2010.

A couple of months after he totalled the Saturn, we found Ben a 1997 Intrepid with 120K km on it for $1200. It was a trade in at my Brother in Laws lot in Edmonton. Car ran great. Drove it back to Calgary, and all was good. <2 wks later I get a call from my son that it is making lots of noise on his trip back from skiing in Sunshine. I was at a party and in no condition to go get him, so I said to check the oil and get it home if it will make it. It does make it home and it was making horrendous noise. Take it to my mechanic the next day, and get the "she's done" call. Can remember exactly what, but one of the bearings had let go and the engine was a very large paper weight. Fortunately, my B-I-L gets one of his buddies to change to a rebuilt engine at cost (which was just about as much as the car cost originally). Unfortunately, that took 2 solid months before they found an engine. But in the end, it worked out ok, and he's driving the car today.

In the spring of 2010, I decided the Ram didn't make any sense. While it was great offroad, I decided I didn't go back country enough to justify it's inability to ever get past a gas station without stopping. So I decided that we would sell the truck, buy my wife a new van (or at least a newer one), and I would drive the 2002 Chrysler Grand Caravan for one year, then buy something new. It took a couple of months to sell the truck, for less money than I'd hoped (not the best truck market out there right now). But we did buy the wife a 2007 Minivan, and I took over the old minivan. To this point, this vehicle had around 220K on it, and had been very reliable. Since selling it in like July, between then and 2 weeks ago I estimate I poured $3500 in repairs into it. If it could break, it did. So my plan to save money by putting myself in the ultimate emasculating vehicle didn't work out quite as planned. I was emasculated and broke. Not a great combination.

So several weeks ago I decided that I had to buy another vehicle and pawn the van off on some unsuspecting thrifty car buyer. I looked at a new Ridgeline (with FNG over at Honda West-shameless plug here, but if you want a Honda go see Darrin. I was very impressed with him and Honda West both), but ended up buying a 2008 Ridgeline from the B-I-L. This one is a top of the line truck, leather, power everything, nav, etc. Gets far better mileage than the Ram (though not as good as I had hoped), drives like a dream, and will be able to handle the type of off road I do in the summer. So the car gets driven down from Edmonton by one of the employees of the car dealership. We trade vehicles (I had decided to trade in the van), and off we go.

Next morning I get a call from the B-I-L to tell me the brakes had failed on the van in Red Deer at a red light. Fortunately he went through the light without hitting anything. The brakes stated working again shortly thereafter and they have been unable to replicate the problem. So if you see a green 2002 Grande Caravan in Edmonton, I'd probably steer clear.

3 days after I bought the Honda, I was coming to work on the deerfoot. There was a wreck in the left hand lane, with two lanes closed. No problem as I was encased in the luxury of my new vehicle. I eased into the right lane and after a few seconds the traffic stopped. When I stopped, about half the status lights turn on. I thought the car had stalled, but no, it was still running. "Must be the computer" I think, so I decide to reset it. So I turn off the truck and turn it back on. Status lights clear. So far so good. Go to put it in gear and it won't shift out of park. So here I am stuck in the only moving lane, on the Deerfoot, in rush hour. People are LOVING me. Honking, waving, all the friendliness one would expect at 7:30 in the morning. I remembered reading in the manual that there was a manual override for the gear shifter. I open the glove box for the manual and discover the manual was still at home. Sweet. Call my wife and she can't find the part in the manual that tells me what to do (though I could feel the encouragement from my fellow drivers). Call my mechanic and he gives me some places to look. So after about 10 total minutes stuck, I find the override, put the beast in gear, and continue on my merry way straight to the mechanic.

Turns out one of the after market tow package wires had come out of a harness, rubbed against the chassis, and shorted out the taillights among other things. The security system interpreted the lack of taillights and putting the car in gear as a security threat and would not let the car go into gear. $200.00 later, problem fixed. My mechanic did say "nice truck", but I think he just sees his potential future revenue.

I'm not planning on selling anything in the next several months, but will be sure to let everyone here know when I do. Once I'm done with them, everything that can break will have already broken and you can be sure you will be getting a quality vehicle at a quality price.

Trust me.

Holy Shat!! that is crazy. I hope 2011 has mercy on you. Sounds like a nice truck. I have to admit i wish i was a fly on the wall when you were stuck on deerfoot....not sayin it was funny just sayin it would have been very entertaining.

I will say that I am not one prone to panic in truly high stress situations. I used to work on nuclear reactors on submarines, and I was the guy who operated the plant during emergencies. But being stuck on the Deerfoot, in the middle of the only freely moving lane during rush hour was the highest stress situation I have ever been under (this includes thinking I was going to die a couple of times on the sub and in the oilpatch). A little bit of panic, and quite a bit of stress induced swearing was taking place.

The truck is AWESOME. We'll plan a trip to break it in properly. I know this road in the deep south of Alberta.......

Holy crap on a cracker, Tex! Sorry about yer luck...

Of course, your misfortune is our gain here at FlyFishCalgary; thanks for the story.

Just for the record: maybe if you sat down & typed out a few more of your entertaining tales, Jared wouldn't have to come by & sabotage yer vehicles, just to force another one outta ya????

Good luck with the Ridgeline; sounds pretty sweet!

Next morning I get a call from the B-I-L to tell me the brakes had failed on the van in Red Deer at a red light. Fortunately he went through the light without hitting anything. The brakes stated working again shortly thereafter and they have been unable to replicate the problem. So if you see a green 2002 Grande Caravan in Edmonton, I'd probably steer clear.

Trust me.

Is this the same rocket that was screaming up and down logging roads inches away from 1000' drops at 90kmh????????

I was right to fear for my life that weekend.

The truck is AWESOME. We'll plan a trip to break it in properly. I know this road in the deep south of Alberta.......

That Ridgeline won't cross that washout any better than that old van of yours did

rickr,

Be very careful where you put the Ridgeline. There is an exhaust crossover pipe dead center that has a straight leading edge. If you snag a rock, ripping the exhaust system apart may be cheap as compared to the cost of a new block when the header bolts pull out.

Looked one over close a couple of years ago. Really liked the 120V outlet in the truck box and the huge hole behind the cab to hold the beer and ice.

catch ya'

Don

That Ridgeline won't cross that washout any better than that old van of yours did

Sure is nicer in the city though, where 95% of my driving is done.

Thanks for the tip Don. Don't plan on taking it anywhere too rough.

And yeah BBT, same rocket. Man up a little, I didn't kill anyone.

Nick, that's a pretty ignorant comment - despite the fact that they are made in CANADA!!!

<--poke--< <--poke--<

Honda Ridgeline

The 2008 Ridgeline is built solid to take punishment. The 5000-lb towing capacity and 1550-lb total payload capacity make small work of big jobs. Its strength comes from an integrated closed-box frame with unibody construction and powerful, 247 hp, V-6 engine. It's no wonder the Ridgeline has won countless awards, including Motor Trend Truck of the Year for 2006 and AJAC Truck of the Year and Best New Pickup for 2006.

Ridgeline is manufactured in Alliston, Ontario.

P

Stop calling that ridge line a truck its an suv, and trucks are made with wrenchs not chop sticks