Fly Fusion Forums

Time On The Water

flyfishy

OPEN: Tell a story about how much time ,you had on the water ...With pics. maybe. Be nice !

eg. I packed and I packed, still to much stuff ,I almost forgot my rod tube. GO

; MEMBERS ,just say it ,spell it out loud . Tell us a story; GO

FLYFISHY rock'in on

I had an outing this year that goes down as the shortest fishing trip ever. Got up at 5:00 am and drove down south to a small stream on the FTR to meet a friend and fish fo the day...first day since the season opened and I was real stoked to catch my first cutty of the year and do a little exploring. Since we had two vehicles we parked one upstream and took the other downstream at least a few kms so we wouldn't have to walk back to the truck. Everything looked perfect...no other anglers, even had time to rig-up at the truck. Got geared-up and started to head down to the creek when a CO pulls up and asks us for our licences.

"No problem, I've got mine in my... son-of-a-bitch!!!!" I emptied my wallet prior to my trip to the Bahamas and had forgotten to put it back in, so I pleaded with the guy and even offered to give him all my info so he could check that I had a licence. I explained that I had just drove 2 1/2 hours from Calgary and really wanted to fish. The guy ouldn't budge, he told me to drive to Coleman and buy a new one. I already did buy one and wasn't going to buy another one (besides they're bought online now) so I told my buddy forget it, I'll just head home and he could fish himself.

I had an outing this year that goes down as the shortest fishing trip ever. Got up at 5:00 am and drove down south to a small stream on the FTR to meet a friend and fish fo the day...first day since the season opened and I was real stoked to catch my first cutty of the year and do a little exploring. Since we had two vehicles we parked one upstream and took the other downstream at least a few kms so we wouldn't have to walk back to the truck. Everything looked perfect...no other anglers, even had time to rig-up at the truck. Got geared-up and started to head down to the creek when a CO pulls up and asks us for our licences.

"No problem, I've got mine in my... son-of-a-bitch!!!!" I emptied my wallet prior to my trip to the Bahamas and had forgotten to put it back in, so I pleaded with the guy and even offered to give him all my info so he could check that I had a licence. I explained that I had just drove 2 1/2 hours from Calgary and really wanted to fish. The guy ouldn't budge, he told me to drive to Coleman and buy a new one. I already did buy one and wasn't going to buy another one (besides they're bought online now) so I told my buddy forget it, I'll just head home and he could fish himself.

I have fished alot in that area and never been approached by a CO, but ya know the one day you forget your licence.....Hello officer!

..........The guy ouldn't budge, he told me to drive to Coleman and buy a new one. I already did buy one and wasn't going to buy another one (besides they're bought online now) ...........

Just so you'll know for next time (hope there isn't one), you can still buy licenses from any shop that has the equipment, i.e. it's not all done online. More important though, you don't need to buy a new license, you just need a reprint. It costs $2. Terry

Just so you'll know for next time (hope there isn't one), you can still buy licenses from any shop that has the equipment, i.e. it's not all done online. More important though, you don't need to buy a new license, you just need a reprint. It costs $2. Terry

That's good to know I can get a reprint, I don't know why the CO said I'd have to buy one then. Thanks Terry

You can reprint only if you originally purchased from a vendor. If you purchased your license on the Alberta RELM website, you can only reprint off the internet, not from a vendors machine. Really goofy system. Had this happen last year when heading angling, didn't have my license, but was planning to stop at a shop on the way, figured, no problem, I will just reprint. Didn't work, luckily the shop had the internet so they allowed me to log onto the RELM site and reprint. This year, heading hunting I purchased my license online, the new system sends you tags in the mail that you register on the RELM site. Went to print, printer was out of ink. Forgetting the fishing license system from the previous year (and probably expecting this couldn't still be the case) I stopped at the Longview esso, tried to reprint, was not successful, had to cancel hunting for the day. Lesson learned by now (hopefully)!

Ok, I'll put this back on track.....

Several years ago I decided to make the long drive to the Hat to fish Bullshead for the first time. I was still pretty new to the fly fishing game, so it was not hard to determine which rod to bring (I had one), which reel (I had one), and which fly box (I had one). So with everything packed up, I take off. About 1/2 way there my phone rings, and my wife asks "did you mean to bring your vest". Well, since my only fly box was in that vest, my heart sank and all I could utter was "uh, yeah." So I 411'd Medicine Hat and find a fishing store that sells fly gear. Not very much of it as it turns out, but I was able to buy a couple of leach patterns (actually a couple of them were really jigs, but close enough I figured) and some nymphs. I ended up catching 6 or so, which for me back then was really good, so the trip wasn't a total bust.

I check my packing very carefully now!

Buy the licence at the RELM website, print it as a pdf file, saved to your machine, store a copy on your Blackberry, or home computer

Print one on paper of course, so you dont need the backups, but they are safely stored. I havent checked if the CO will accept the electronic one if the paper one is not there. The bar codes etc are all there though.

Last time I went out, a few weekends ago, and it was around -5. I had just bought new woolie socks to test out so I layered up with my waders and everything on. Drove down south and got to Fish Creek. Setup the rod and tied on a fly then realized I had forgot my winter coat! I didn't last to long with just a sweater on but my legs were nice and warm, I will definitely be double checking I have my coat before I leave! Here is a pic from that day, no fish either.coldfishing.JPG

OPEN: Tell a story about how much time ,you had on the water ...With pics. maybe. Be nice !

eg. I packed and I packed, still to much stuff ,I almost forgot my rod tube. GO

; MEMBERS ,just say it ,spell it out loud . Tell us a story; GO

eg. Many years ago, the woolly bugger was the worm, my oh my, have times changed!

Rainbows and Browns ate them like candy; especially the ones with grizzly hackle, rubber legs, and cowdun green chenile. What was your old time bugger; GO

FLYFISHY rock'n on

I have an area I fish regularly in the winter for a number of years now. A couple of winters ago I headed down to my spot early in the morning. I walked onto the ice and stepped confidently off the shelf into what had a few days earlier been 12 inches of water, but was now about 3 feet of water; doing a full summersalt. What I had negleted to take into account was that we had a few days of minus 20- 30' weather since I had last fished and the sheft had extended out several feet further now. The swim and 1/2 km walk back to the truck did however wake me up.

I drove 95 kms from calgary one sunday to fish LRD, caught a few, drove home and when unloading, realized I was missing my Orvis T3 I won a few years ago and had been fishing with all day. So, at 9pm, off for another 95 km drive, some searching by headlamp right where I parked and there it was. Now I try NOT to lean my rod against the van upon returning from fishing, and instead I put it inside immediately! In fact, for a while I just left it at home as I was convinced I was too stupid to risk using (and losing!) expensive gear...

I went out with a buddy to fish the Liv years ago and packed up all the gear, had the vest, waders, boots, flies, license, bear spray, hat, glasses, net, reels and rods. I always take two along because truck doors and rods don't get along very well. Anyway my rods are in a rack in the basement in the evening I put them in the rod tubes and in the morning I grabbed the tubes picked my buddy and drove down to the river. When I got there I pulled the tip of my 4 wt out and the butt end of my 6 wt, and I had the tip of a 8 wt and the butt of a 3 wt. Don`t ask how that happened, but luckily I had the Red Green fishermens friend in the toolbox. Fit the 4wt into the 6wt, a bit loose, but the duct tape held it in place and I did very well that day as I recall.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice weather ahead maybe try some Bow River'in !

So many hour 's trying a swing a woolything with lead (FREE)

Tumbing over rocks,sticks,weeds and trout .Only to find that my hook tip is bent over .

P.S.to sad to sent pic .

flyfishy x- mis'in for brunch

• 2 weeks later...
Recieved my 42 yr old "Xmas present to myself" G-MF60C today. When is spring and the high country scrawny stream opening again??

Not soon enough, Dutchman.

My New Year's resolution is to fish my 2wt in some of that water, accompanied by a big Dutch fella who's name sounds like Mexican food to

those who don't know better. I've never actually kept a resolution yet; first time for everything, right???

Hell I fished with a transplanted Texican, fishin' with a transplanted Newf oughta be a big step up, do I hafta clean all the cow *hit outta my truck to get you to ride in it like I had to with rickr?

Not quite a story of forgetting stuff. I was working as a guide on Great Bear Lake in 1976 and had bought my first flyrod the week before heading up. After about 5 days setting up for the season we had an afternoon off. We couldn't use fuel, but I rowed out into the bay in front of the lodge, and after many tribulations I landed two grayling around 17". I was carrying them back to the cleaning shack and made the classic mistake of going through a screen door with a full length rod. Chopped!!!! One plane 1 week, so by the time I wrote to my momn and she got another rod and mailed it up, almost half the season was gone. So a very mixed day, my first ever flyrod fish and my first broken rod, all in one afternoon.