Fly Fusion Forums

Leaky Wader Mystery

ÜberFly

Ok I’m stumped, time for your help!

I have a leaky left bootie on my waders. The leak is in the left heel, I can see where the water is leaking through (along the seam tape on the INSIDE - looks like two pinholes in the inside seam tape)… Here’s the mystery, I’ve patched the seam tape on the OUTSIDE (slightly above, slightly below and around where the leak is on the INSIDE), but it’s still coming in (slowly, but still leaking…). The inside seam tape on the heel is the only leak!

Ok so my thoughts are that the water is being channeled along the seam (tape) at some point above and then leaks in below at the the two pinholes. Do I patch the entire seam on the OUTSIDE in hopes that it stops the water coming into that seamed channel or do I put some aquaseal on the inside where the two pinholes are?! If the latter, will the water not find another place to seep in, if in fact it’s being channeled down the seam?!

Peter

P.S. What I'm trying to avoid is aquasealing the entire bootie :P

Speaking of leaky waders a number of years ago I had a roof that leaked. Never could figure it out. Had to call a roofing company to get to the bottom of it. I cannot believe how much they charged me for the service call. I think that them roofers and mechanics are cut from the same cloth. They see you coming and hit you hard in the pocket book, knowing they basically got you as you called them!

Does anyone else have any stories where you were overcharged by a mechanic or roofer, or any other tradesman for that matter?

Boy oh boy its cold out, would hate to be a roofer, or any other occupation were you had to be outside in these bitter temperatures!

anyone have a job where they work outside in the bitter cold, how do you do it?

Thanks Chris!

That might be my next move, but I would be more interested in sealing from the source (but that might be more of a headache then it's worth).

P

You did the outside only. So I think you should now do the inside seam and give that a go.

Uberfli,

The little fisherman character at the bottom of your signature line has a nasty tailing loop!!!!

Not sure how to fix leaky waders with exception of patching the hole with aquaseal? I have found that once you patch the hole that is leaking, generally you will no longer have a leak.

If that does not work (you mention it is the left bootie leaking) you could just wade with your right leg? MAy be a bit inconvenient, but it would remedy the situation!!

Now here is how you can fix that tailing loop!;

http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/tailingloops.shtml

Good luck!!

G

:lol:

Thanks Chris!

That might be my next move, but I would be more interested in sealing from the source (but that might be more of a headache then it's worth).

P

I had the same problem on my fairly new waders, they were leaking around the side of the knees and shin areas on both legs and I looked everywhere for holes but couldn't find it. I started by Aquasealing the area where it seemed to be leaking and it helped but there was still water getting into it. After about 3 attempts, I got fed up and Aquasealed BOTH the inside and outside seams from knees all the way down to the booties and it's mostly good now. Aquaseal is pretty cheap, time and frustration adds up to be pretty expensive....

The really annoying thing is that my cheapie old pair of 15 year old rubber waders from NZ had ZERO issues.

Uberfly, apply a little iso (or is it iodine? anyone?) to the outside seam, then fill the inside with water. Not too much water, don't want to stress the seams. If it's channelling it's way in, it should also find it's way out, and the water will change the colour of the iso/iodine (it's been so long I can't remember which one).

Hmmm.... Not sure I follow?!

Iodine is brown and the neoprene booties are black/brown, so I don't think there will be much of a contrast... With previous pairs of waders I've used the isopropyl alcohol trick (if that's what you are referring to) on the laminate and it works like a charm, if that's the trick you are thinking of for the neoprene bootie...

If I'm missing something feel free to PM me!

I might try filling the inside and looking for leaks on the outside, but that might defy the laws of physics if the outside hole/leak is above the pinholes on the inside, like I suspect (unless the water wicks upwards along the seam channel?!)...

Thanks anyway!

P

Uberfly, apply a little iso (or is it iodine? anyone?) to the outside seam, then fill the inside with water. Not too much water, don't want to stress the seams. If it's channelling it's way in, it should also find it's way out, and the water will change the colour of the iso/iodine (it's been so long I can't remember which one).

Both sides have seam tape, hence my problem (can't actually see the seam, nor the source only where it's seeping through)...

P

I'd rather do repairs on the inside but I've had the same problem on taped seams. I go to the side you can see the seam and repair there.

Thanks Jay, that was the 1st thing I tried... No bubbles (which is weird, I know), but lots of troubles!! I will attempt again, however and let you know.

P

Take a shop vac or a compressor fill the leg with air, put leg in tub.... where the air comes out that's your leak..... so simple

Turn your waders inside out and take them into a room without windows. Turn the lights out and shine a flashlight inside the waders to find the holes or worn spots and seal from the inside. If the leak is in the socks of the waders, you will likely need to have the socks replaced. I had the socks replaced on my Wardells, at Springbrook here in town, for about $60 and they did a great job.

Gregg, doubt they could replace these ones as they are the Patagonia wool lined booties... Also I can buy a lot of aquaseal for $60!!

Nonetheless, thanks for your input! I'll figure this out, eventually!

P

Turn your waders inside out and take them into a room without windows. Turn the lights out and shine a flashlight inside the waders to find the holes or worn spots and seal from the inside. If the leak is in the socks of the waders, you will likely need to have the socks replaced. I had the socks replaced on my Wardells, at Springbrook here in town, for about $60 and they did a great job.

Yeah Marc normally they would be (sent in and returned - Long story!)!

Nonetheless, I think I've figured it out!!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Here's to clammy free feet!!

P

Aren't the wool-lined stocking feet a fairly new feature? Considering Patagonia has a pretty good warranty program why don't you send them in for repairs?

Alright this is really quit simple.

You can not do a hole repair over top of the seam tape as the seam tape is not designed to keep water out. It only helps to reinforces the seems and give them a cleaner look. You MUST pull the seam tape off before you do your repair otherwise water soaks through the tape and right through the whole that is still unsealed behind it.

You can either peel the seam tape back before or after you find the holes. The easiets way I have found is to fill the boot in your wader with water and then grab the boots and squeeze. You will see water start to bead out from where your hole is and yes it will come through the seam tape if you decide to peel the tape off after doing this. Mark where the water came out from. Let your waders dry then give them the aquaseal treatment. You should also patch a small area around the hole for good measure and not just exactly where the hole was. At this point i usualyl use the aquaseal to also glue the seam tape back down, or you can wait and do it after.

This is what I did to fix split seams in the heels of my Cloudveils and they havent leaked again yet.

Thanks Wes,

If it comes down to it (and it's still leaking - haven't tested my work yet) I'll consider your advice.

Cheers,

P

Alright this is really quit simple.

You can not do a hole repair over top of the seam tape as the seam tape is not designed to keep water out. It only helps to reinforces the seems and give them a cleaner look. You MUST pull the seam tape off before you do your repair otherwise water soaks through the tape and right through the whole that is still unsealed behind it.

You can either peel the seam tape back before or after you find the holes. The easiets way I have found is to fill the boot in your wader with water and then grab the boots and squeeze. You will see water start to bead out from where your hole is and yes it will come through the seam tape if you decide to peel the tape off after doing this. Mark where the water came out from. Let your waders dry then give them the aquaseal treatment. You should also patch a small area around the hole for good measure and not just exactly where the hole was. At this point i usualyl use the aquaseal to also glue the seam tape back down, or you can wait and do it after.

This is what I did to fix split seams in the heels of my Cloudveils and they havent leaked again yet.