Fly Fusion Forums

Best 5 Flies

Remps

Somewhat tangential, but I just went searching through the BC Sportfishing Regulations and can't find any mention of indicators or lead being banned in classified waters. Nevertheless, I have heard this before; it just doesn't seem to be in the regulations. Which one is it?

It's at the back of the regs; it should be in the Angling definitions in the front however......

fly fishing … angling with a line to which only

an artificial fly is attached (floats, sinkers,

or attracting devices may not be attached

to the line when fishing is restricted to "fly

fishing only”).

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CTownTBoyz , couldnt agree more with your take on things. I have come to the conclusion, some people just dont get it.

PK

Sounds like a match made in heaven.

Do some people not "get it", or are you discounting thier view point by dismissing them?

@ Uberfly... Your reference to Bruce Lee & his philosophy is probably the best analogy that I have seen to explain how I approach things. I think it is a good way to look at things, even beyond fly fishing. I fish for myself & my enjoyment and hope to have a good time with those who are with me. I think applying "philosophies to it takes some of the enjoyment out of it. If I wanted competition, rules and codes I would go back to golf.

Andrew

Sounds like a match made in heaven.

Do some people not "get it", or are you discounting thier view point by dismissing them?

... Your reference to.... I fish for myself & my enjoyment and hope to have a good time with those who are with me.

Andrew

Sums it up perfectly.

So who are you fishing for?

Andrew

You missed the point I made...

"If the argument is about 'not limiting one's self' then why stop at a fly rod, if you're going to use an indicator to fish for steelhead; why not just use a drift fishing rod? If the argument is about catching more fish with indicator /eggs vs. a swung fly (which is hardly true), then why stop at egg flies, use bait.....etc."

I'm trying to figure out where you're coming from. You mentioned "Bruce Lee & his philosophy is probably the best analogy that I have seen to explain how I approach things", and then "I think applying "philosophies to it takes some of the enjoyment out of it. If I wanted competition, rules and codes I would go back to golf."

There are all kinds of rules and codes in fly fishing, some are legal - some aren't.

I guess if you follow Bruce Lee's philosophy; it's about evolution...no doubt that evolution applies to one's own inner understanding of lawful, written, and unwritten codes proper.

I think applying "philosophies to it takes some of the enjoyment out of it. If I wanted competition, rules and codes I would go back to golf.

Andrew

How would applying philosophies take the enjoyment out of fishing....Unless enjoyment is based on fish numbers?

There are all kinds of rules and codes in fly fishing, some are legal - some aren't.

where does one get this code.... clearly the code police don't have my email because I have yet to receive a copy. Or perhaps you haven't completed it? Is it stuck at editing? Or is it that the :$*%&: elitests can even agree amongst themselves as to who's fishing method is the correct one?

You missed the point I made...

"If the argument is about 'not limiting one's self' then why stop at a fly rod, if you're going to use an indicator to fish for steelhead; why not just use a drift fishing rod? If the argument is about catching more fish with indicator /eggs vs. a swung fly (which is hardly true), then why stop at egg flies, use bait.....etc."

I'm trying to figure out where you're coming from. You mentioned "Bruce Lee & his philosophy is probably the best analogy that I have seen to explain how I approach things", and then "I think applying "philosophies to it takes some of the enjoyment out of it. If I wanted competition, rules and codes I would go back to golf."

I guess if you follow Bruce Lee's philosophy; it's about evolution...no doubt that evolution applies to one's own inner understanding of lawful, written, and unwritten codes proper.

The point that I am trying to make is that fishing is personal & if one person wants to fish one way, assuming it is within the law & respectful of the resource/nature/fish/environment & others then I am okay with that. If it takes an indicator to make someone a better fisherman so that one day they may not want to, or have to, then more power to them, who am I to judge. If you want to bait fish, center pin, spincast, tie a rope to your junk & troll for lakers, I dont care as long as it is within the law & is done with respect.

I was using the Bruce Lee reference as an anology about how I think about fishing, not how I think others should think about fishing. When people start talking about "codes" & "philosophy" it starts to come into a value judgement, which is one of my major dislikes about some members of the fly fishing community. So many people hold these high & mighty codes in the FF world. You see it on the river, you even see it in certain shops in the city and I think it is BS. Since when was FF a religion, and since when did people see fit to tell others how to fish?

The problem when talking to people who take it upon themselves to develop these "codes" that we must all adhere to is they deal in extremes. Based on your statment "If the argument is about 'not limiting one's self' then why stop at a fly rod, if you're going to use an indicator to fish for steelhead; why not just use a drift fishing rod? If the argument is about catching more fish with indicator /eggs vs. a swung fly (which is hardly true), then why stop at egg flies, use bait.....etc.". I am clearly not as cool, or code based as you are since I dont steelhead, and therefore dont know about the unwritten codes of the steelheading hall monitors, but who made you the judge & jury on how people should fish? In am sure we have all done something in the past as we have been learning to fish that you may not do today, but that is what makes us better & more educated as people and fishermen.

Finally, rules & laws are one thing, thing and they are in place for the benefit of the greater good, but I really fail to see how people applying codes to others provides any benefit. Where can I find out these codes? Will they be handed down to me on the side of the river one day when the fishing elitists have decided that I am worthy of having them? Will they show up on a note in a bottle or will they be given to em when I spend $750 or more on a fly rod? Tell me where to get them, I would love to read them.

@ Rightyeegs -I fish for my enjoyment, and it is certainly not based on numbers. I would rather catch 1 - 20" fish in an entire day on the Bow than 100 12" fish. Some guys, as is evident on this board, like fishing for numbers. If that is what they are into, thats fine.

Andrew

I won't wade into this, but notice how the same people over and over again have to turn good threads into a "I am better than you becuase" contest..... :$*%&:

And you tend to always add more fuel to the fire by useless posts like these!

:$*%&:

No one has brought up cake yet, and since this thread has taken a dog leg away from the original posters question here's my fav's on the mountain streams.

Royal Coachman classic dry (just because)

Black Ant

Green Drake extended (foam)

Hopper (in season)

CDC & Elk

The point that I am trying to make is that fishing is personal & if one person wants to fish one way, assuming it is within the law & respectful of the resource/nature/fish/environment & others then I am okay with that. If it takes an indicator to make someone a better fisherman so that one day they may not want to, or have to, then more power to them, who am I to judge. If you want to bait fish, center pin, spincast, tie a rope to your junk & troll for lakers, I dont care as long as it is within the law & is done with respect.

I was using the Bruce Lee reference as an anology about how I think about fishing, not how I think others should think about fishing. When people start talking about "codes" & "philosophy" it starts to come into a value judgement, which is one of my major dislikes about some members of the fly fishing community. So many people hold these high & mighty codes in the FF world. You see it on the river, you even see it in certain shops in the city and I think it is BS. Since when was FF a religion, and since when did people see fit to tell others how to fish?

The problem when talking to people who take it upon themselves to develop these "codes" that we must all adhere to is they deal in extremes. Based on your statment "If the argument is about 'not limiting one's self' then why stop at a fly rod, if you're going to use an indicator to fish for steelhead; why not just use a drift fishing rod? If the argument is about catching more fish with indicator /eggs vs. a swung fly (which is hardly true), then why stop at egg flies, use bait.....etc.". I am clearly not as cool, or code based as you are since I dont steelhead, and therefore dont know about the unwritten codes of the steelheading hall monitors, but who made you the judge & jury on how people should fish? In am sure we have all done something in the past as we have been learning to fish that you may not do today, but that is what makes us better & more educated as people and fishermen.

Finally, rules & laws are one thing, thing and they are in place for the benefit of the greater good, but I really fail to see how people applying codes to others provides any benefit. Where can I find out these codes? Will they be handed down to me on the side of the river one day when the fishing elitists have decided that I am worthy of having them? Will they show up on a note in a bottle or will they be given to em when I spend $750 or more on a fly rod? Tell me where to get them, I would love to read them.

@ Rightyeegs -I fish for my enjoyment, and it is certainly not based on numbers. I would rather catch 1 - 20" fish in an entire day on the Bow than 100 12" fish. Some guys, as is evident on this board, like fishing for numbers. If that is what they are into, thats fine.

Andrew

As I said:

"Fly fishing itself is about challenging the angler to catch fish using more difficult methods, and there is a code amongst anglers to use certain methods at certain times, or to limit the tools one uses in the process. This in all areas of fishing, the Tyee club on the Campbell, a true Grand Slam (Flies only-no bait or scent), the 20/20 club, and with cutts the code is no indicators. I'm not saying you can't do it, obviously it is an angler's choice, the same as it their choice to bait fish or whatever.....but there is also a code or honor to consider-that extends from respect within the sport / tools to respect for your quarry."

Don't mix fly fishing and elitism with traditions in the sport. Most of what certain fly fishers consider elitist is not elitist, but is simply guidelines that fashion respect for other fishers, and the fish. People label these unwritten codes as elitist because it doesn't fit into their gung-ho I do as I please attitude. Every sport has these types of aspects.....and every sport has people that rebel against these traditions. If you don't believe in them fine, but more often than not these codes are there for all players in the game; fish and fisher.....

Cutthroats are so 'user friendly' that you don't need to go that far. And it is about respect, not 'elitism'. Respect for the fish; cutthroats live in an extreme environment, have only a few months to feed, are susceptible to being caught over, and over, and over again with ease (as is evident by the multi scars many of them possess.....amazing considering I almost always only see fly fisherman where I fish.....must have forgot to bend their barbs down). When they're eating nymphs its almost like a sanctuary for them, that's one part of the code.

I'll save someone the response....

"Then why do fish for them if you think it's so bad?"

I fished 2 (3 hour) days for cutts on mountain streams this summer; that was enough. Too many people for the most part, and I've done it, I was fishing those streams when they were devoid of people and I really believe it's someone else’s turn now, I've been given my piece, no need for gluttony. And so I leave them alone for the most part, pulling the fly away just before that cutt grabs it, or just hike the banks looking for edible plants and mushrooms-something I have really got into in the last few years. But when I did fish them we knew when enough was enough, and respected the fish by limiting the methods....you can call that elitist; but you're wrong, and you don't get it.

If I can predict the future about the streams on the East slopes, and what has happened in the last 10 or so years I'll say this. As populations of anglers grow and people continue to hammer the resource (as would be expected), eventually the regulations (C & R) won't be enough to sustain the resource, mortality will inevitably reach a tipping point, probably sooner rather than later considering other environmental factors. When this happens you will have only so many rod days perhaps or maybe it will be 'fly fishing only' (see BC Regs definition). And then Jayhad et al. can put their kids on their knees and say "I remember back in the day when we used to spin fish with our fly rods....now them rivers are just full of elitists"

The discussion was over, until Jayhad sparked the fire again. And as usual when I fight back I get accused of being elitist, along with whatever other profanities.

Sorry guys, occasionally I wade into the kiddie pool, I should know better.

As I said:

"Fly fishing itself is about challenging the angler to catch fish using more difficult methods, and there is a code amongst anglers to use certain methods at certain times, or to limit the tools one uses in the process. This in all areas of fishing, the Tyee club on the Campbell, a true Grand Slam (Flies only-no bait or scent), the 20/20 club, and with cutts the code is no indicators. I'm not saying you can't do it, obviously it is an angler's choice, the same as it their choice to bait fish or whatever.....but there is also a code or honor to consider-that extends from respect within the sport / tools to respect for your quarry."

Don't mix fly fishing and elitism with traditions in the sport. Most of what certain fly fishers consider elitist is not elitist, but is simply guidelines that fashion respect for other fishers, and the fish. People label these unwritten codes as elitist because it doesn't fit into their gung-ho I do as I please attitude. Every sport has these types of aspects.....and every sport has people that rebel against these traditions. If you don't believe in them fine, but more often than not these codes are there for all players in the game; fish and fisher.....

Cutthroats are so 'user friendly' that you don't need to go that far. And it is about respect, not 'elitism'. Respect for the fish; cutthroats live in an extreme environment, have only a few months to feed, are susceptible to being caught over, and over, and over again with ease (as is evident by the multi scars many of them possess.....amazing considering I almost always only see fly fisherman where I fish.....must have forgot to bend their barbs down). When they're eating nymphs its almost like a sanctuary for them, that's one part of the code.

I'll save someone the response....

"Then why do fish for them if you think it's so bad?"

I fished 2 (3 hour) days for cutts on mountain streams this summer; that was enough. Too many people for the most part, and I've done it, I was fishing those streams when they were devoid of people and I really believe it's someone else’s turn now, I've been given my piece, no need for gluttony. And so I leave them alone for the most part, pulling the fly away just before that cutt grabs it, or just hike the banks looking for edible plants and mushrooms-something I have really got into in the last few years. But when I did fish them we knew when enough was enough, and respected the fish by limiting the methods....you can call that elitist; but you're wrong, and you don't get it.

If I can predict the future about the streams on the East slopes, and what has happened in the last 10 or so years I'll say this. As populations of anglers grow and people continue to hammer the resource (as would be expected), eventually the regulations (C & R) won't be enough to sustain the resource, mortality will inevitably reach a tipping point, probably sooner rather than later considering other environmental factors. When this happens you will have only so many rod days perhaps or maybe it will be 'fly fishing only' (see BC Regs definition). And then Jayhad et al. can put their kids on their knees and say "I remember back in the day when we used to spin fish with our fly rods....now them rivers are just full of elitists"

The discussion was over, until Jayhad sparked the fire again. And as usual when I fight back I get accused of being elitist, along with whatever other profanities.

Sorry guys, occasionally I wade into the kiddie pool, I should know better.

Agree or disagree. Like or dislike all I have to say is that is a great post. (except the shots at the end)

If you were to bring only 5 flies out to a mountain stream what would they be?

Mine would have to be:

1. Deer hair caddis

2. BWO

3. Humpy

4. Stonefly nymph

5. Double bunny

I am not trying to get your secret flies, just for fun.

Pike

I fail to see how many of the posts in this thread have anything to do with the original posters topic.

@ Toolman

Are you refering to these posts...

"I fail to see how many of the posts in this thread have anything to do with the original posters topic."

"Some folks sure have a lot to say about nothing."

@ BBT, SD

When you're using the Royal Coachman are you using a Royal Wulff, or the traditional pattern?

Cool either way, I think I will fish one of those next year somewhere. It is kind of like taking a vintage car out for a spin.....on the level of a Jaguer E-Type or 289 Mustang Fast Back.

Traditional winged wet, old fav. to me it's not vintage, just a fly I've tied and fished since I was a kid.

@ BBT, SD

When you're using the Royal Coachman are you using a Royal Wulff, or the traditional pattern?

Cool either way, I think I will fish one of those next year somewhere. It is kind of like taking a vintage car out for a spin.....on the level of a Jaguer E-Type or 289 Mustang Fast Back.

@ BBT, SD

The traditional wet, dry or streamer Coachman and what came first?

I don't tie my own Royals so I go with what I can get. I do own two "traditional" drys that were hand tied in England (I think the Royal is a Eastern US born pattern?)and giving to me as a gift about 12 years ago or so but they won't see the water until the gift giver comes out to fish.

I like the Royal Wolf, Trude, Coachman and the Royal Humpy. I find even if they are not bang on traditional they are a good stray away from Stims and all the newer attractor patterns.