Fly Fusion Forums

The Brook Trout Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i just had to revive this thread a little bit after stumbling across a post by Taco quite a while back:

Too bad so sad caught some nice fish and ran outta sandpaper and didn't even fall offa my bike once.. there's a treeplanter camp about 4k up

dsc00086ob4.jpg

dsc00082pr5.jpg

notice how gently and the almost proud-like way that taco holds the brookie in the bottom pick...proof that taco is, despite what he wants us all to believe, a big softie who can't bring himself to be barbaric to anything with fins...the battle ensues... :goodvsevil():

How in the h*** can anyone eat a fish that looks like this. Greatest sport fish that ever was. If you going to kill some, do it in the Crow, Got one in there about 25 years ago. They must be breeding like flies according to the accepted pap put forth by Alberta Govt. Biologists.

post-206-1297434333.jpg

Not quite pap Don, no cutts or bulls left in the Crow's headwaters. Maybe in Gold. Pretty? yes. Desirable? Down East yes but here? Too many southern creeks where I used to catch cutthroats contain nothing but brookies now. At least our generic rainbows don't like real cold water and nothing pisses me off like hiking 6-8 km up Cataract and not finding a single native fish.

As I recall from a conservation meeting I was at a while back, there are no pure strain native cutthroat in Alberta. Westslope Cutthroat are so named because they are native to drainages West of the Continental Divide.The biologists were doing a genetic study so that the Alberta subspecies (Eastslope Cutthroat) could get official listing, but they discovered that they all contained Westslope and Yellowstone DNA.

I love Brookies, but what do I know? I like Goldeye too.

As I recall from a conservation meeting I was at a while back, there are no pure strain native cutthroat in Alberta. Westslope Cutthroat are so named because they are native to drainages West of the Continental Divide.The biologists were doing a genetic study so that the Alberta subspecies (Eastslope Cutthroat) could get official listing, but they discovered that they all contained Westslope and Yellowstone DNA.

I love Brookies, but what do I know? I like Goldeye too.

The native cutthroat trout in Alberta are pure Westslope Cutthroat trout (WSC).

The population of WSC in Alberta is distinct from the population of WSC in BC, but they are the same subspecies. They are separate from Yellowstone Cutts found on the Eastslopes in Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado.

YCT were stocked in some places in Alberta as were non-native WSC (don't know where they came from and may have been stocked in fishless watersheds).

There are still pure populations of WSC, there are still near-pure populations (>95% WSC), and there are hybrid pops (mixed YSC and RNTR) in Alberta.

The mixed Westslope and Yellowstone DNA are in the Ram, the National Parks and maybe a few native range drainages outside the Parks. At one time we all thought that most of our southern native range cutthroats were of mixed genetics because of the heavier than the typical Westslope spotting patterns. DNA testing for the SARA listing has now proven that assumption to be wrong, re: the above cutt picture. That fish is pure Alberta Westslope Cutt.

Brookies taste great; definately one of my favorite fish to eat.

That said, where it is legal to keep Cutts, I eat those too- whenever possible.

And when and if Bullies ever come back on the menu.....it'll be a great day, and a great shore lunch.

You outta try bow river brown trout. Just catch em by the sewage outflow by the calf robe bridge.

You outta try bow river brown trout. Just catch em by the sewage outflow by the calf robe bridge.

I had one from Policeman's once. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad.....it tasted like 'river'.

Before everyone's stomach turn, do some research into all of those Thai shrimp we all eat, and were they come from....makes the Bow water look drinkable.

At least here, we treat the sewage.

Some, mostly around the Caresland, problem was I had miles of the OM with everything from sturgeon to trout 15 minutes from my house and you could actually eat the fish without the gag reflex.

Taco,

Did you fish the river in the gold old days?

Nobody ate the fish and they did smell like gasoline.

Boy was there lots of them and did they fight!!!

Nothing like a refinery or two dumping into the river.

catch ya'

Don

Well if Taco didn't fish the river back in the good old day's I certainly did, and yes they did smell like gasoline, and man oh man did they fight....There were still people eating them back in those days....I don't know how they could stomach them but they did.