Fly Fusion Forums

Gun Registry...keep It, Scrap It...care Less About It

Guest Sundancefisher

it's a very divisive issue (which harper intends to use for political means and hey which politician wouldn't - trudeau maybe but that was old politics not new). this was a stupid idea that resulted from the polytechnique massacre. and the liberals basically played on peoples' fears and ignorance of the issues.

i believe one of the problems is that the general public does not really understand all of the issues. if you ask 10 people probably 7 will say of course guns should be registered - cars are, dogs are, etc etc. but cars and dogs are out on the streets in the public and there needs to be a system of determining who's car ran the red light or who's dog is running loose. why do you need to know what specific guns are where? how does that improve safety. just because a gun is registered doesn't mean it can't be used to commit a crime.

if it was simply a matter of filling in a simple form and some gov't worker in summerside, pei enters the info in a data base fine. but it's much more. the rights of gun owners are trampled - warrantless searches, widows are turned into criminals b/c farmer brown died and owned guns that were not registered which are seized. the cost is outrageous and indefensible. there have been many incidents of people trying to register guns only to be told that what they are trying to register as a gun can't be done. or cases of monkey-wrenchers registering parts of guns but that are not really guns.

at this point certainly there are hundreds of thousands of guns that are not registered and likely never will be.

i have no problem with licensing myself as a gun owner - and the state snooping - all of the intrusive questions and the call to my wife to ask about my temper and how i handle stress etc etc. i can live with that level of state snooping - although i don't like it - b/c it is reasonable in the circumstance. are you a gun owner - you need a license. want to buy a gun - you need a license. want to buy ammo - you need a license. domestic disturbance - police can check the licensing database to determine if there is a registered gun owner in the house.

i truly believe the system is unfixable and should be eliminated asap and keep the personal licensing system in place.

Guest Sundancefisher
it's a very divisive issue (which harper intends to use for political means and hey which politician wouldn't - trudeau maybe but that was old politics not new). this was a stupid idea that resulted from the polytechnique massacre. and the liberals basically played on peoples' fears and ignorance of the issues.

i believe one of the problems is that the general public does not really understand all of the issues. if you ask 10 people probably 7 will say of course guns should be registered - cars are, dogs are, etc etc. but cars and dogs are out on the streets in the public and there needs to be a system of determining who's car ran the red light or who's dog is running loose. why do you need to know what specific guns are where? how does that improve safety. just because a gun is registered doesn't mean it can't be used to commit a crime.

if it was simply a matter of filling in a simple form and some gov't worker in summerside, pei enters the info in a data base fine. but it's much more. the rights of gun owners are trampled - warrantless searches, widows are turned into criminals b/c farmer brown died and owned guns that were not registered which are seized. the cost is outrageous and indefensible. there have been many incidents of people trying to register guns only to be told that what they are trying to register as a gun can't be done. or cases of monkey-wrenchers registering parts of guns but that are not really guns.

at this point certainly there are hundreds of thousands of guns that are not registered and likely never will be.

i have no problem with licensing myself as a gun owner - and the state snooping - all of the intrusive questions and the call to my wife to ask about my temper and how i handle stress etc etc. i can live with that level of state snooping - although i don't like it - b/c it is reasonable in the circumstance. are you a gun owner - you need a license. want to buy a gun - you need a license. want to buy ammo - you need a license. domestic disturbance - police can check the licensing database to determine if there is a registered gun owner in the house.

i truly believe the system is unfixable and should be eliminated asap and keep the personal licensing system in place.

It is not looking that divisive as shown by the CBC poll. 70% say scrap it. 30% say keep it. The opposite of what you think.

I think everyone agrees with this point.

"Putting rules and regulations in place that serve no purpose nor hold any value only adds to the bureaucratic mess we call government. Cutting out useless red tape only saves time and money."

The question then is asked...what value does the registry have? Some police say it is a tool. What purpose does this tool have? Can anyone answer that?

My understanding is that EVERYONE has to apply for a firearms licence and pass prior to owning one. Then there are no restrictions as to buying a legal gun. Then you have to tell the government you bought a gun (ie. register).

The risk is you use a registered gun to commit a crime afterwards and they catch you faster...assuming you left the gun behind. Nothing stops you from acquiring the gun up to that point.

I can not seem to find how many illegal guns brought in from outside Canada account for gun crimes.

The only logical thing I can think of is if someone starts oddly stock piling guns. But my understanding is that the registry is mandatory in nature but voluntary in design. Does the gun shops tell the government a fire arm was purchased by Bigbowtrout and then they flag his fire arms license file waiting for the registration? I don't think the system is that interlinked.

Just seems like a big fast waste of money unless someone can fill in the blanks better.

It is not looking that divisive as shown by the CBC poll. 70% say scrap it. 30% say keep it. The opposite of what you think.

The only logical thing I can think of is if someone starts oddly stock piling guns. But my understanding is that the registry is mandatory in nature but voluntary in design. Does the gun shops tell the government a fire arm was purchased by Bigbowtrout and then they flag his fire arms license file waiting for the registration? I don't think the system is that interlinked.

we're on the same page so i don't want to get in a bun throwing match but i'd say a 153-151 vote in parliament is more indicative of the divisive nature of the registry than a cbc online poll.

all purchases of guns (new or used) from a shop are registered at the time of purchase. when you purchase a gun it doesn't leave the store until it has been registered with the firearms centre.

The Police Chiefs say they like it, the line officers not so much. Any cop who goes into a domestic dispute call thinking no firearms based on what the registry tells him is a complete idiot and should be ridin' a desk or workin' the call centre. I can buy blackmarket handguns in Claresholm for christsakes not to mention the millions of longguns that went underground 14 yrs ago.

Guest Sundancefisher
we're on the same page so i don't want to get in a bun throwing match but i'd say a 153-151 vote in parliament is more indicative of the divisive nature of the registry than a cbc online poll.

all purchases of guns (new or used) from a shop are registered at the time of purchase. when you purchase a gun it doesn't leave the store until it has been registered with the firearms centre.

I think the House of Commons is voting as per party ideology versus public consensus. A number of polls shows that Canadian's don't like it. You can't say the vote is matching public sentiment. Especially since a number of them voted their constituent's preference only to change to meet their leaders demands

First country to have registered firearms, Hitlers Germany, what did he do? he took all the guns. That is the #1 answer i get when i know people with out registered firearms is that in the past countries that had firearms registers the goverment took there guns.. That said i'm to young to have an excuse not to register mine.

If you're a criminal and you want to break into my house you're in for a bad day. <------ just had to say it.

You can't use it if you can't get to it and if I were you, I wouldn't post this on a public forum.

We all know the gubment is keeping all the information safely squared away from the criminal element. But still, I have to wonder if the rash of home invasions we are seeing has anything to do with the registry. We assume the target they are after are drugs/money.

You can't use it if you can't get to it and if I were you, I wouldn't post this on a public forum.

We all know the gubment is keeping all the information safely squared away from the criminal element. But still, I have to wonder if the rash of home invasions we are seeing has anything to do with the registry. We assume the target they are after are drugs/money.

The chances of someone breaking into my house while im home is very small. The chances of someone breaking into my home and me getting to my gun and using it are slim to none.

That is all.

Guest Sundancefisher

that is some serious conspiracy theories.

The other one mentioned was that the government will come and take all your guns. Seriously...everyone has to get a permit to own one...if you have that...surely someone half intelligent in the evil government will guess you probably own one or more. There is a huge different and quite frankly a ludicrous analogy to link Hitler Germany to even NDP Canada. I can't even begin to wonder why that was brought up.

The criminals don't need to break into anyone's home to steal guns...they buy them cheap after they get smuggled across the border. Plus...not many use long guns to do B&E's, bank robbers, home invasions etc. They are not a practical bad guy gun choice.

It all comes down to cost versus value added benefits to society. Someone still has to explain why...certain police chiefs like this registry. Can someone ask a pro registry cop why exactly they like it? My mind can be changed with solid logic.

The other one mentioned was that the government will come and take all your guns. Seriously...everyone has to get a permit to own one...if you have that...surely someone half intelligent in the evil government will guess you probably own one or more.

Currently with the registration the govt knows that you own guns, how many and what calibers. when the registry wasn't in place all the govt knew was that you MAY own a gun not even how many........... in my books that's a real difference

Guest Sundancefisher
Huh? Where are you getting a reference to conspiracy theories from what I posted?

Did I miss read what you said?

"But still, I have to wonder if the rash of home invasions we are seeing has anything to do with the registry. We assume the target they are after are drugs/money."

Guest Sundancefisher
I guess you did. What does theives invading your home hoping to score guns have to do with conspiracy?

Sorry. My fault. Sounded like you were insinuating that there was a connection to the gun registry and somehow criminals are getting access to it in order to rob homes.

You linked home invasions with the registry...hence the conspiracy of someone in the government is aiding crime.

I was but it doesn't have to be due to conspiracy. Just one or two less then honest employees looking to make a quick buck.

If I remember correctly something similar happened 2 or 3 years ago in Ontario. There was a string of home invasions targeting households with firearms. At the time they were thinking inside job, or someone was able to hack the registry.