Fly Fusion Forums

"poacher"+ Fireball+classicrewind= Static Free Fishing

bigbowtrout

Uberfly and Myself had the pleasure of fishing some of BC’s finest streams with our Streamwatch donated trip hosted by Rickr.

As you can tell by some other treads we had a “BLAST” and some crappy sandwiches but all I can say is WOW thanks again Rickr for offering up your time and your place for a great cause and to top it off the fishing was AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Day one started off with a power breakfast of Jalapeño infused scrambled eggs and a quick stop at the local coffee shop before we headed up to the river.

It didn’t look to promising to me looking out the window at some of the water we passed on the way up. It was mostly rapids, falls and crazy canyons and not something I had prepared for. Well after an hour and a half of white knuckle Texas style back road driving we stopped close to what I was told would be our first river of the weekend. I was pleasantly surprised when we made it through all the brush and trees to find a really nice pool and run filled gentle flowing cutty stream.

Sept182010002.jpg

Sept182010004.jpg

Sept182010006.jpg

A great start to the weekend

Sept182010008.jpg

Sept182010011.jpg

Sept182010014.jpg

Sept182010017.jpg

Sept182010033.jpg

Sept182010036.jpg

Sept182010041.jpg

The day ended with a bang and some BBQ steaks and chicken (maybe a beer or two)

Day 2 started the same as day one but the Back Country Rocket headed up a different road after the coffee shop and we ended up at a beautiful but a lot harder to access (lots of bushwhacking) river that almost beat me with its super slippery rocks. But wow this was well worth all the grief as the fishing finally after awhile turned on and rewarded us with a few nice fish.

Sept192010006.jpg

Sept192010008.jpg

Sept192010009.jpg

Sept192010012.jpg

Sept192010016.jpg

Sept192010017.jpg

Sept192010018.jpg

Day three was all about fishing some new water and exploring a bit.

We packed up and closed the condo and headed towards home but we veered off unto another logging road in search of Cutty heaven but found high off coloured water at every turn until we arrived at the river the Rickr and Uber found while searching the maps.

This river was still a bit high and off colour but not as bad as the others we past so we geared up and went for it.

We found some good holding water and later a real nice canyon section that produced a few small fish each but that was it!!!!! It just never heated up at all but we did see a lot of great water. Oh well this might need to be fished in Aug sometime.

The beast

Sept202010006.jpg

The River

Sept202010001.jpg

The fish

Sept202010015.jpg

Sept202010017.jpg

The filler

Sept202010014.jpg

Sept202010020.jpg

Sept202010022.jpg

Sept202010026.jpg

Actually Steve, I gave Rick 10 to 1 odds that Chris was the one that was going in for a swim, as he was wearing the studded Simms "Stream Treads" and they were definitely NOT the ticket on day 2!! Quite dangerous, actually!!

P

Looks like a fun trip, Chris; some gorgeous water.

Did the Texican take any unplanned swims?

Wow absolutely wonderful photo journey, I can smell the pines. Wish I was there.

I can say that I am generally not one for savoring the experience, but I will not soon forget the smell of the pines on this trip. I don't know if it was the moisture, but the smells were out of this world.

I have some pics and will post this weekend. This is my third year doing this trip. Saturday was probably the best day I've ever had. We have caught more fish in a single day, but the quality of the fish Saturday was spectacular. We probably landed 40 or so between us, with Chris by far landing the most (a theme for the entire trip). Just an unreal day. If I hadn't tried to ram a rock through my undercarriage on day two, we would have gone back. But with over 60 km of gravel and unknown damage to the van, I decided not to risk it. I will question that decision for a long, long time.

Overall, the trip was a smashing success. Day three was tough, but the weather did not do us any favors. The water is too good for there not to be fish.

Anyway, more pics and stories to follow this weekend. Just need time to do it.

Thanks Pete and Chris!

Oh and Steve, I did fall once. I was standing by some deadfall in mud. When I went to move by feet stayed put and I did not. Splash! No flood into the waders though. I did step on some deadfall in the woods and take a tumble. On the way down you think "Please land on something soft"! Chris took a tumble hiking on some rocks. He actually was very lucky it was not serious. The river on Day 3 required a lot of climbing. I would never fish it by myself.

I guess I should at least list the top 10 highlights, non fishing variety:

1. 60 km of gravel in 40 minutes on day 1(Pete asks "are you trying to hit every puddle?" while Chris cowers in fear.)

2. Bounce Sandwiches

3. Getting stuck in the mud and falling in the river

4. BBQ Fireball and arm hair removal

5. Watching Chris fall all over Big Fish Creek

6. Getting poached on Big Fish Creek

7. Having my front axle hit a hidden "boulder", having said boulder rip out of the ground, and having untold damage done to the undercarriage of the indestructible (I hope) van. I'm actually afraid to take it to the shop. It is making some bad noises every time I hit any bump.

8. Driving past the mud filled rivers of day 3

9. Taking a dive in the forest and walking away/ Chris taking a dive on the rocks and walking away also

10. Pete putting on his headphones on the way home after Classic Rewind plays the 1000th Genesis or Phil Collins song

LoL!! Yeah and for the fact that I am anything but a "Classic Rock" guy, nor a "Sports" guy (2nd most popular Sirrius station listened to on the trip was ESPN!)! LoL But being in the minority (and with the fear of being thrown out of said "industructible" vehicle and down those cliffs we drove past at 90km/h), I decided to take the high road and keep my mouth shut!! LoL

P

P.S Funny thing is Rick, that song from the 70's/80's that you predicted would be a hit and it didn't (Billy Thorpe's - "Children of the Sun" - How the hell did I just remember that?!)! I caught myself singing the chorus yesterday!! :P

P.S.S. Colin (CDone), what the hell was that AWESOME Sirrius 80's alternative station we listened to on the way to and from Don's fish study trip near Caroline?! I need to tattoo it on myself so that when asked "if you have a station you want to listen to" I can actually come up with an answer!! :P

10. Pete putting on his headphones on the way home after Classic Rewind plays the 1000th Genesis or Phil Collins song

P.S.S. Colin (CDone), what the hell was that AWESOME Sirrius 80's alternative station we listened to on the way to and from Don's fish study trip near Caroline?! I need to tattoo it on myself so that when asked "if you have a station you want to listen to" I can actually come up with an answer!! :P

"1st Wave"

Here are a bunch of mine. I also have a video I will upload to Youtube at some point. I may caption these later, but you will notice that Chris in one shot is kneeling down. He is trying to hide while he poaches my fish. Poacher.

img1161d.jpg

img1158wo.jpg

img1160rx.jpg

img1173fd.jpg

img1163d.jpg

img1164s.jpg

Chris caught like 10 from that spot!

img1165gy.jpg