Fly Fusion Forums

Caribbean Rums

Ok, so as not to hijack Ladystrange's thread about Barbados, I'd like you all to rate the Caribbean Rums you've tried.

So far, I've only had two and would like to personally acquire quite a few more. Your recommendations might send me to one island before another.

1. Puerto Rico - Barrilito Dark, smooth and neat

2. Haiti- Barbancourt 5 star 8 year Slightly raw tasting, reminiscent of gold tequila. Better mixed.

I'm not much of a drinker but when I do Dark Rum is my poison.

You can't beat Appleton's and if you get a chance the Master Blend is awesome. When I went to Jamacia I was in rum heaven.

Lemon Hart

Mount Gay (Barbados)

Ron Barcelo Imperial ( Dominican)

Looks like my next holiday might take me to a Rum producing Country

Brugal is hands-down the best rum I've ever tried. Its a Dominican rum with a very unique flavor that goes very well with coke. It's now available in alot of stores in Calgary now only beginning six months ago or so. I used to beg friends and family to pick it up where it was available, I almost *hit myself when I finally saw it sold in Calgary. Appleton's (the aged stuff) a close second I guess.

wow. i love this thread. i prefer amber-->darks. white rum is good for some cocktails, but i still tend to use an amber for a better mojito. i also have found if i buy better quality rums, i don't want to mix them with anything. yum.

once every couple months i try a new one.

can't limit my list to the carribean...but here's some faves in no particular order:

mount gay extra old [barbados] - my 'everyday rum' from the birthplace of rum

doorleys xo - [barbados] - another standby

zaya - an amazing breakfast rum [trinidad]

ron zacapa cenatario - all are superb, but the xo is probs the finest rum i've ever tasted [costa rica]

ron matuselum grand reserva - [cuba]

[why are there so many rons?]

el dorado - the aged stuff is good, finally landed a bottle of 21 and it's staggering [guyana]

cruzan single barrel - amazing single barrel rum [st. croix]

angostura - 1824 & 1919 [trinidad]

gosling's black seal - best black rum ever, and reasonably priced [bermuda]

i also like flor de cana alot, as well as pyrat xo and havana club is a good party/mixer rum. appleton's is not bad either.

A breakfast rum? That made me laugh.

Seriously, describe the tastes, smells and finish. What makes each of you fellas' recommended rums sooooooo good?

We had an impromptu tasting here last evening with a small selection of whisky, scotch, bourbon and the two rums. It was fun to try and pick out the smells and tastes. One sniff and I got banana, another smelled like butterscotch, there was juicy fruit, moss and "get this sh*t away from me." Unfortunately, I needed a nose cleanser, because after a few different sniffs, I couldn't describe anything.

I'd like to make a good mojito, but I'm not allowed to mix the Barillito with anything but ice.

RUB UP! DRINK DE RUM RUM RUM! Ah yes the rums of the Caribbean are truly one of the gifts of the gods. I like many of your suggestions here; Flor De Cana, Cruzan, Gosling, Mount Gay all excellent. I also like Coruba, the standard which I am sure most true rum lovers started with. I have been to the distilleries in Bdos ( Mount Gay & Cockspur) found Coskspur to be more interesting and the rum a bit more spicy. Then hit the St Vincent distillery and the extra strong rum the locals drink with a water chaser is very smooth but very potent. My favorite was the St Lucia Distillery and the Admiral Rodney and the Chairmens Reserve; both splendid. Lots of vanilla, spice, smoke, butter and coconut flavors. I am sure if you visited any of the reasonably larger islands you would find a local distillery that would blow your socks off.

Brugal and Flor de Caná you most say.....I'll try em!!!!

Great thread! I also 2nd the Pyrat XO if you haven't tried it. I've never mixed it yet. Great "ice fishing" rum :ppirattee:

Appleton Master bleand is amazing. I'm smelling a bottle of it right now. Strong vanilla, cinnamon, brown sugary....gotta go!!!

Ummmm. Sounds tasty.

I was wondering when I saw it on the shelf if that Pyrat was worth the price. I did like the bottle. I've read that people who don't know two wines will often choose the one with the animal on the label over one without. For me, the shape of the bottle was more compelling than the picture on the label of the Captain Morgan.

Trailhead, when you talk about all those spicy flavors or smells you're not talking about added flavorings, like in Captain Morgan, right?

Brugal and Flor de Caná you most say.....I'll try em!!!!

Great thread! I also 2nd the Pyrat XO if you haven't tried it. I've never mixed it yet. Great "ice fishing" rum :ppirattee:

Appleton Master bleand is amazing. I'm smelling a bottle of it right now. Strong vanilla, cinnamon, brown sugary....gotta go!!!

He's not kidding, he will try them!! :argggg: Another vote on the Pyrat XO, had a taste of that at SNAP's place on a fly tying evening. The flies were abominations, so the rum had to be good !

Thanks for the suggestions guys, so far I have picked up the Mount Gay XO, and the Black Seal to try since seeing this thread, and will keep an eye out for the others.

Oh, and another vote for the Appleton's Master Blend, goood.

Love this thread :cheers:

Ayr.

And here I thought I was one of the only people around that liked rum without coke!

I agree almost complete with dune's list... Ron Zacapa and Zaya are two of the best I have ever had! So far Diplomatic Grand Reserva has been left out however...it's in my top three! Great rum and cheaper than Zacapa or Zaya but it can be pretty hard to find; I had one guy describe it as the poor man's Zacapa. Their are others to add to that list but I probably shouldn't get started...

I am a true rum lover that tends to collect more bottles then I can drink! Seeing this thread made me a little bit giddy...and thirsty... :argggg:

Dune

Where did you find the Ron Zacapa, was it in a chain store?

Thanks Mike

no...the bottle i shared was from the source. a very very good friend decided i needed to be schooled. i was.

i looked into procuring a bottle and found a store in ont. that had brought in a case, but i balked at the price tag...@350-400 if i recall.