Fly Fusion Forums

Caribbean Rums

Ron Zacapa is available all over the city right now...A ton of places have it for about 80 bucks a bottle! I've got two sitting on my shelf right now...just in case that start to have problems getting some! If you have friends in the southern states, you can also get it there for a fair bit cheaper!

• 2 weeks later...
Diplomatic Grand Reserva has been left out however

not anymore. had me some last night. went straight to my top 5...another quality breakfast rum.

anyone know who carries it in the se quadrant of the city?

baby needs more rum.

dune,

It looks like a Solo Liquor at 7-3451 DOUGLASDALE BOULEVARD SE has ordered it before but it doesnt mean that they still have it on shelf! If you're every curious about where to find something check out http://www.alberta-liquor-guide.com/ - these are the guys that ship all the booze in alberta and let you search for products. Very handy.

dune,

It looks like a Solo Liquor at 7-3451 DOUGLASDALE BOULEVARD SE has ordered it before but it doesnt mean that they still have it on shelf! If you're every curious about where to find something check out http://www.alberta-liquor-guide.com/ - these are the guys that ship all the booze in alberta and let you search for products. Very handy.

Thanks for the link. I am not much of a rum guy, this will hopefully help me with find some certain gins I am looking for.

Andrew

• 6 months later...

Hangin' in Bermuda for a few weeks and have had opportunities to taste a few rum(s), so far,

Ron Z. 15 year, I think, very nice.

Mount Gay

Mount Gay XO, goood.

El Dorado, 15 year, like it, alot.

Goslings Black, nice flavor. We drink this one at home.

Goslings Gold, meh.

Thinking of bringing back some Goslings XO, anybody try it? Feedback?

Also are any of the premium Bacardi rums good? Their international headquarters are here and the high end stuff is readily available, for a price.....

Cheers,

Ayr

DSC08370.jpg

DSC08129.jpg

Guys,

I'm just curious, Is there any Rum that can be drank [without someone holding a gun on you demanding you swallow] straight?

I tend to buy hard liquor that doesn't need water/ice/various colas to make them drinkable.

regards,

Don

Ok, so as not to hijack Ladystrange's thread about Barbados, I'd like you all to rate the Caribbean Rums you've tried.

So far, I've only had two and would like to personally acquire quite a few more. Your recommendations might send me to one island before another.

1. Puerto Rico - Barrilito Dark, smooth and neat

2. Haiti- Barbancourt 5 star 8 year Slightly raw tasting, reminiscent of gold tequila. Better mixed.

ron legendario or santiago de cuba are excellent cuban rums. flor de cana 18 year old is another favorite. Vizcaya #21 and Diplomatico reserve (venezuelean) are also exceptional sipping rums. Brugal is average (OK for a cheaper, lower quality bottle of rum) and is only marginally better than Bacardi.

flor de cana 16 year old was what I was inspired to buy last week after reading this thread, I was quite surprised I'd been partial to the mount gay extra old since visiting the distillery in barbados a while back. It twas quite good ill be re buying this one for the cupboard forsure.

Stumbled on the Bicardi headquaters in Hamilton, Bermuda.......

DSC08636.jpg

A couple blocks down the road.....

DSC08646.jpg

This is a price list they had posted there, I was pumped to hit the duty free shop on the way out!

DSC08651.jpg

Go big and/or....

DSC08647.jpg

The bottle we decided to try that day.

DSC08657.jpg

Kid in a (duty free) candy store.

DSC08734.jpg

All six arrived safe and sound at home, no charge at customs. I think they knew exactly why I needed it when I told them I lived in Edmonton.....

DSC08415.jpg

Cheers,

Ayr.

Guys,

I'm just curious, Is there any Rum that can be drank [without someone holding a gun on you demanding you swallow] straight?

I tend to buy hard liquor that doesn't need water/ice/various colas to make them drinkable.

regards,

Don

many many good sippin rums out there. how much dough you got?

i would suggest a few in this thread. argueably up to personal preference but i'll list some that are fairly readily available, and middle/upper price range:

zaya.

diplimatico.

el dorado 15 yr old.

ron zacapa.

flor de cana 12.

but i have a better idea. let's go to ayr's house. and we can help him decide which one is best.