Fly Fusion Forums

Looking For A New Dry Fly Rod

Hey Everyone,

I am looking at getting a dry fly rod. I currently use a sage flight 9' 6wt and want a lighter rod for dry fly fishing. I live in Calgary and would like to use the rod on the bow, but I also want to use it on smaller waters like the highwood, ram and raven. I am not sure what weight and length I should be looking for given what I currently have.

I would like to keep the cost of the rod under $250 if possible and would love to hear some recommendations. I will head over to the local shop to test drive the rods, however I would like to hear some opinions.

Any help is greatly appreciated:)

I personally have a 5wt 8'6" TFO Signature Series 4pc for chucking dries on the Bow and absolutely love it. The guys over at Fish Tales HIGHLY recommended it for that purpose. A couple of them even use it for their Bow River dry fly rod. I believe you can pick up the 4pc for about $220.00

I've tried chucking dries with my SAGE Launch, which is a 9'0" 6wt, but it just doesn't have the same feel as my 5wt does. I use the SAGE for nymphing primarily and then bring the TFO for dries when I start to see the snouts popping up. Saves time in changing all the gear over.

I have also used my 7'6" 3wt TFO Signature Series on the Bow, before I got the SAGE, and liked it too, but it is better suited for the smaller mountain streams, which is what I use it for. Last couple of fish I hooked into with the 5wt would have blown up the 3wt....lol

Thanks everyone for your replies, I appreciate your feedback.

I haven't made it into a shop yet, however I have been snooping around on the net. I was wondering if anyone has tried a pieroway e-series rod. Looking on their site I see that they make a 4wt 8'6". I think it would be great to support a local guy, however I am a little weary about buying from a company that is so new. I think that I will make an arrangement to try one out, however I am interested to hear other experiences.

peiroway rods

I've been fishing the Amundson Midge for my last two outings and so far so awesome!!! The cool thing is that it comes with two tips. A 3wt and a 4wt tip and when your a dumb ass and break the 4wt tip like I did, well your still good to go with the 3wt LOL. This rod has a great price point as well.

Hey Everyone,

I am looking at getting a dry fly rod. I currently use a sage flight 9' 6wt and want a lighter rod for dry fly fishing. I live in Calgary and would like to use the rod on the bow, but I also want to use it on smaller waters like the highwood, ram and raven. I am not sure what weight and length I should be looking for given what I currently have.

I would like to keep the cost of the rod under $250 if possible and would love to hear some recommendations. I will head over to the local shop to test drive the rods, however I would like to hear some opinions.

Any help is greatly appreciated:)

5 wt tfo

Thanks everyone for your help.

I was talking with my dad and he had an extra 8'6" 5wt TFO signature that he doesn't use and gave it to me:) Not the 4wt that everyone was recommending, however I took it out last night and it felt great:) Plus who can turn down a free rod?

Thanks everyone for your help:)

Thanks everyone for your help.

I was talking with my dad and he had an extra 8'6" 5wt TFO signature that he doesn't use and gave it to me:) Not the 4wt that everyone was recommending, however I took it out last night and it felt great:) Plus who can turn down a free rod?

Thanks everyone for your help:)

Exact rod I have.

Nice stick, I am sure you'll enjoy it!