Fly Fusion Forums

Shipping Usa --> Canada

I haven't bought any high priced items from American vendors in awhile and was wondering, to give an example, what would be my best bet at having a $500 valued item shipped to Canada without having my pocket book raped by customs or the shipper?

I haven't bought any high priced items from American vendors in awhile and was wondering, to give an example, what would be my best bet at having a $500 valued item shipped to Canada without having my pocket book raped by customs or the shipper?

Get it shipped USPS, that way it slips right thru, no brokerage needed

If it's too big to ship with USPS, and you have to use UPS then get it international expedited as it includes all customs fees upfront so you don't get a nasty shock when it arrives at the door. Plus those fees are usually cheaper compared to paying them at your door.

Actually you do pay a brokerage fee with USPS, but it is under $10. It is by far the cheapest way to ship.

Regards Mike

Is it "brokerage" or a "Handling Fee" charged by Canada Post? What happens is the parcel comes up to one of four Canada Post points of entry and is shunted to the Canada Border Services side where it is catagorized, evaluated and inspected, then shunted back into the mainstream parcels again, when it is delivered and Canada Post has to collect the GST or GST and applied duty(if any) then the "Handling Fee" is charged.

j

Is it "brokerage" or a "Handling Fee" charged by Canada Post? What happens is the parcel comes up to one of four Canada Post points of entry and is shunted to the Canada Border Services side where it is catagorized, evaluated and inspected, then shunted back into the mainstream parcels again, when it is delivered and Canada Post has to collect the GST or GST and applied duty(if any) then the "Handling Fee" is charged.

j

Isn't that what a brokerage fee is for- dealing with Customs?

Regards Mike

No. "Brokerage Fee" is charged by a Customs Broker to do all the paperwork involved in importing commercial goods. UPS and others have decided to get in on the lucrative brokerage deal by using in-house customs brokers that they use for commercial shipments and apply those charges to personal goods, also(which are NOT subject to commercial customs brokering, by the way). The Canada Post "handling fee" is the charge Canada Post charges to collect money from you and forward it to CRA.

j

I used to work for Canada Post, the "Handling fee" of $5.00 goes right to Canada Post. Even if it is shipped with USPS, you might still have to pay customs, I think it is totally random how they choose if you pay customs or not.

No. "Brokerage Fee" is charged by a Customs Broker to do all the paperwork involved in importing commercial goods. UPS and others have decided to get in on the lucrative brokerage deal by using in-house customs brokers that they use for commercial shipments and apply those charges to personal goods, also(which are NOT subject to commercial customs brokering, by the way). The Canada Post "handling fee" is the charge Canada Post charges to collect money from you and forward it to CRA.

j

So UPS et al are really sticking it to us, good to know. Thanks Jack.

Regards Mike

About 2 years ago, I bought a Fuji camera online, stipulating USPS shipping. It came UPS with a brokerage fee and "other add-ons" to the tune of $76 and change on a $180 USD initial cost. The cool part was, they actually billed me after I had received it. I remitted the GST only ($13.50 or so Cdn) and advising I was refusing to pay the "brokerage fee and associated add-ons" as my shipping instructions had stipulated USPS and that the "brokerage" was fraudulent.

Well, of course, UPS threatened collections, blah, blah. Fortunately, I have a couple of fishing buds, one is manager of audits for Canada Revenue Agency and another is an inspector with (what is now) Canada Border Services, who just happens to work in the Main post office in Vancouver, which is an "entry point".

Soooo, of course I got the whole "low-down" on the process from my bud in CBA, then passed on the info to my other bud at CRA. About 3 months later, I got a letter saying they were no longer pursuing their claim and it was all a mistake on the shipper's part.

That's how I became familiar with the entire process.

j

Montana shipping address: http://www.montanashipping.com/montana_shipping_003.htm

I hate UPS. Same thing happened to me as what happened to Jack. They shipped a camera to me (used+should be no durties). UPS charged a $100 brokerage and handling fee over the 50 to ship it. They charged my wife at the door (although it required only my signature) plus they refused to release it without pay... and there is no UPS locations to pick something up, you have to call after a missed delivery to get a location change and if it doesn't work out in a few tries they send it back.

Go with USPS or get it shipped to Montana.

I just utilized the montana shipping outlet for the first time last week and it was great. Ordered $180 worth of golf equiment, was quoted $100 all in to get it to Calgary. Instead, for $6 usps it to Montana Shipping outlet in Eureka, $3 holding fee there ( leave it there for as long as you need). Then a Calgary buddy with a cabin at Libby picked it up for me on his way thru last week. He got a bottle for his trouble, almost asked him to get it at duty free as well...lol....sk

I have a lot of stuff sent to me by friends/family in the US. I simply have them put on the declaration form "gift" and under value "$50" even if its over. If I order something, I'll have it shipped to them, then on to me. Often much cheaper, even going through a middle person, as the shipping is cheaper from US to US vs. US to Canada.

"I simply have them put on the declaration form "gift" and under value "$50" even if its over."

That's cool, as long as they fully understand that they are committing a criminal act and there is a chance, however slight, that it could lead to a "knock on the door, by unsmiling people in uniforms with guns.".

j

I'd say that could be true if it was sent by a person that the reciever doesn't know (e-bay or from a specific shop/business, etc.)... But if it's from a "personal" friend or family member the argument could be made that it is/was in fact a gift (whether or not it actually is - taking personal ethics out of the equation, of course).

P

"I simply have them put on the declaration form "gift" and under value "$50" even if its over."

That's cool, as long as they fully understand that they are committing a criminal act and there is a chance, however slight, that it could lead to a "knock on the door, by unsmiling people in uniforms with guns.".

j

True, but what can happen(and has), a record of shipments is established and one item marked "gift" will be charged tax or if there is a duty(not many these days) and sent on. If the tax/duty is remitted without an appeal, then "precedence" and evidence is established. In the "bad old days" prior to internet buying(was there ever a time?) Customs on both sides traced a number of purchases back to the sellers and really ugly stuff happened. BUT, that was a couple of people who were really milking things on a regular, almost weekly, basis.

j