Fly Fusion Forums

Another Controversial Subject

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

When washing dress shirts...does it matter if they are buttoned up or not? Does buttoning up a dress shirt make them twist less so there is less ironing involved due to wringles? I like the wrinkle free Arrow shirts but I find they twist up a fair bit.

Any thoughts?

Guest Sundancefisher
Are they made from Organic cotton from a fair trade Company or some Oil-based chemically treated material? :P:P

Regards Mike

I have to think that non wrinkle stuff has to be oil based. I think hemp products come extra wrinkly :angel:smail:

Ummm.....dress shirts should never be washed. That's what dry cleaners are for. Sheesh. Men+laundry=fail.

Cotton dress shirts should only be dry-cleaned once every so often -- unless, of course, you have the funds to keep replacing them. Frequently dry cleaning your dress shirts will deteriorate the fabric fibers, and the chemicals used will give your shirt an unsightly yellow tint. Check labels and wash according.

Get it clean: Machine-wash and hang-dry your dress shirts as for buttons or not..I unbutton.

Don't put them in the dryer as they will last longer (the collar points) if you hang them to dry.

Doesn't matter about buttoning or unbuttoning them (from my exp.). Oh and buying quality shirts helps also...

P

I worked in a drycleaners and launderers for five years.

Buttoned-up or not it makes no difference to the amount of wrinkles. Leaving you shirts buttoned increases the chances that buttons will get pulled off in the wash.

To decrease the amount of wrinkles, make sure you get them out of the dryer as soon as the dryer stops. Don't overload the dryer, either. You do not want them crumpled up in a ball in the dryer.

If you take hot 'n' steamy showers, you might be able to get away without ironing at all if you hang your shirt on a hanger in the bathroom while you shower.

Also (a lot of people don't know this) if you take your shirts to the drycleaners, they will be washed. If there are stains on the shirts the stains will be treated . . . but they'll still go into a washing machine (not you normal household variety) none-the-less. You can request that your shirts be drycleaned (costs a lot more), but that isn't any more effective in getting them clean, and drycleaning is a very toxic process. It is bad for the environment and you.

The only tool to combat yellowing is bleach, and most drycleaners/launderers heavily bleach white shirts.

Many drycleaners will do a "press only" on items for a reduced price. For shirts, you wash them at home, and then bring them into the cleaners after they come out of the washing machine (don't dry them . . . drycleaners press men's shirts while they are wet). Check to see if your local drycleaner does this though, as your shirts will be really wrinkly after a wet round trip in a grocery store bag. ;)

Dave - some of us dont have good little wives like you to do the laundry for us

i really should look into getting one you for my very own self. the tying room could use a vaccum with all the deer hair and marabou

Shouldn't you be making pies? Where do you find the time to surf the interwebz with all that "womens" work to do.

smartass.. i ain't from saskabush personally i prefer wife beaters, i think the toronto dago look is way cool

i thought maybe a dress shirt was something don cherry could wear

I reiterate, WTF's a dress shirt ????????

tell you what i'll bring a few to show you when we go searching for the unknown trout waters........i've got a selection for my daily "uniform"......

Guest Sundancefisher

yesterday I washed 2 that were buttoned and 2 that were not. I did not see any noticable difference.

Phew... Now the controversy can be ended...

Sun

P.S. How does one go about getting the wife to do your laundry?

P.S. How does one go about getting the wife to do your laundry?

Carefully (and have flowers ready to explain that it was a joke).

Asking nicely doesn't work...

If you leave them on the floor they eventually get washed or trashed. Maybe buttoned ones get washed if they are on the floor and unbuttoned, trashed?!?