Fly Fusion Forums

Orvis Battenkill

Anyone had any experience with this reel? I recently cracked my Okuma SLV and need a new line holder. It's a good news/bad news thing as I really don't like the SLV. I'm really leaning towards the Pfluger Trion but wanted to hear about the Battenkill.

Thanks.

Anyone had any experience with this reel? I recently cracked my Okuma SLV and need a new line holder. It's a good news/bad news thing as I really don't like the SLV. I'm really leaning towards the Pfluger Trion but wanted to hear about the Battenkill.

Thanks.

both the Pfluger Trion and Battenkill are great reels. I have both and love em. Also love the Pfluger President.

Guest tallieho

i wanted to replace a battenkill reel body,because i dropped the spool in the drink when changing spools/lines.went to country pleasures tried to order just a body .the man said they couldn't help me out .other than that a great reel.

Thanks.

I tend to be hard on equipment and I've had a battenkill for about 9 years now and it runs like it did the first day I bought it. Wish I had the large arbour though.

I bought an SLV this year for my 5 wt - First two months it was great - at this point the drag is running inconsistant - I know the problem is solved with a little maintanence but none-the-less all my other reels typically last much longer into the season before needing work - its just annoying !- other thing I don't like is the stripped line is easily picked up and hooked on the drag adjuster dial, especially if, like me, you occaisonally rotate clockwise when shooting line.

I own a 12wt Trion on my spey rod - I'm going to pick up another one for my 5 wt too. (or that new pink islander - LOL just kidding !)

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.

I hear that Pipestone...I sometimes catch my line in the drag adjustment knob as well. I also notice that the spool sits a little loose in the body and when I cast I can feel it wobble a bit...very annoying...

I will prob take a run down to Country Pleasures this weekend to take a closer look at the Orvis selection.

I sometimes catch my line in the drag adjustment knob as well. I also notice that the spool sits a little loose in the body and when I cast I can feel it wobble a bit...very annoying...

Havent caught my line on the adjustment knob, but definitely notice the wobble. Also be sure to check the screws that hold the hand knob as mine tend to come loose, and bring screwdrivers with you if you hike a good couple hours and that happens.

I had quite a surprise tonight when I called an Orvis dealer here in Calgary. I asked if they had the Battenkill mid arbor, they said yes, I asked the price and almost spit out my beer...$225!!! I made another query to be sure we were talking of the same reel (mid arbor) and then thanked them for their time....Direct from Orvis the reel is $119 USD (approx $125 CDN) plus about $10 to ship and the large arbor is $126 USD on sale ($135 CDN)....I want to support the locals but sheesh. Still not decided on which one to pick up but I'm not one to willingly be gouged. I'm currently leaning towards the large arbor Battenkill on sale direct from Orvis...

I had quite a surprise tonight when I called an Orvis dealer here in Calgary. I asked if they had the Battenkill mid arbor, they said yes, I asked the price and almost spit out my beer...$225!!! I made another query to be sure we were talking of the same reel (mid arbor) and then thanked them for their time....Direct from Orvis the reel is $119 USD (approx $125 CDN) plus about $10 to ship and the large arbor is $126 USD on sale ($135 CDN)....I want to support the locals but sheesh. Still not decided on which one to pick up but I'm not one to willingly be gouged. I'm currently leaning towards the large arbor Battenkill on sale direct from Orvis...

Maybe try telling them that. See if they'll match the price. Say you'd rather give them your money..

i bought the orvis battenkill mid arbor titanium size 4 in march and i'm very happy with it.

it can hold enough backing, the drag can be set ver precise, it's salt water resistant and the weight of the reel gives a nice balance to my rod.

greetzzz

zuggbugg

I bought the Mid Arbour II direct from Orvis a few months ago. Happy with it so far, 119USD plus they were throwing in a 2nd spool for free, it was a special for that month. Maybe they'll have the sale on again. Right now the Orvis Guide waders are on sale.

Tallieho, is it the frame of the reel that you need or the spool? I've got an older Battenkill that the spool is warped on, if you just need the frame you can have mine. It's not pretty but it works.

Here's my two cents on the Battenkills. Orvis moved their factory from the UK to somewhere in Asia last year. I tried for nearly nine months to get a spare spool for my BBS Titanium. Finally spoke to an Orvis rep in Dallas who told me it might be another year before I could order the spool as production at the factory was behind. Other than that, its a great reel. If your looking for something in that $100-150 range, check out Tetons. I love my Teton Tioga, they have them at Russell Sports. For the best deal, look them up on Ebay.

I have three battenkills (standard arbours) dating back nearly 20 years which are still my main go to reels for trout fishing. They have done some bonefishing as well so they do stand up to the salt, but I wouldn't recommend them for more than just light saltwater duty as they do not have enough drag to be serious saltwater reels. I have not fished any of the mid arbours but I do think they would make a great freshwater / light saltwater reel. I am not that impressed with the battenkill large arbours. They look pretty but they are too light / fragile in my opinion for serious salt chucking and too expensive for freshwater. It is personal perference of course, but there are beefier/ tougher reels out there for the same money.

I have a couple trions as well. They look nice, are priced right, great for freshwater and will do double time in the salt though I do find the drag a bit on the light side to my liking for much more than bonefishing.

I am surprised to hear those comments on the Okuma SLVs. I have several Okuma Integreties picked up "reel cheap" off eBay. They are "Ugly Betty" reels but they sure have great smooth drag. They are my pike reels here in Alberta and I have used them quite a bit in the salt as well. The 11/12 has handled sharks up to 7 feet long without a hiccup! Anyways, thanks for the heads up on the SLVs as I was contemplating getting one.

i was dead set on buying the OB this past spring until i saw something interesting...Rick at WSS in Lethbridge put both the OB and the PT on the counter next to each other and asked me "what's the difference?"...aside from a few minor details, there were no major differences except for the price you pay for the Orvis name...he even interchanged the Trion spool into the Battenkill and vice versa and both reels still worked...ended up buying the Trion and have loved it ever since....

Well I said this plenty of times on the old FFA but not here yet so I'll say it again. I have a 4wt Trion and am happy with it. I'm a tad supicious of the flash of a stainless reel when I'm casting but I honestly couldn't say if I've spooked any fish strictly based on the flash and not just being careless in general when approaching fish. It has been slammed hard on the ground a few times while stumbling around, once directly on a rock and it runs butter smooth, no warp or dents. Just my .02 cents

Here's a pic of it.

batttenkill.jpg

Hi guys,

First post. I bought a Battenkill LA II this year for a 4wt rod. The reel works awesome. The only problem is I put the recommended amount of backing on it but it's a bit too much. If the line isn't wound back on exactly level it tends to rub on the frame. Other than that it's perfect.