Fly Fusion Forums

Official 2010 Stream Watch Auction Items!

reevesr1

Welcome fellow anglers...

In 2008, Alberta Stream Watch was expanded to include a Stream Watch Officer in the foothills of S.W. Alberta. (for those of you unfamiliar with Stream Watch please visit: Alberta Stream Watch

After a successful first year in 2008, the program ran again in 2009 and 2010 and many of you who fished the Oldman/Livingstone area last summer may have had a chance to meet our Stream Watch Conservation Officer, Jeff Cox, who initiated numerous angler interactions and made a significant impact on awareness of stewardship and angling regulations in the area. Please visit Stream Watch Annual Report to see the annual report. You may have also noted the new signage in the area.

It's now time again to start our donations drive for Stream Watch 2011 Stream Watch relies on donations from corporations and individuals to fund it's efforts. A good part of the success in our fund raising for the past two years was the result of the Fly Fish Calgary Online Auction, thanks to the generosity of donors and bidders alike. For 2011, Rick Reeves, (rickr) will co-ordinate the Auction, collecting donations and compiling bids. Last year, this auction raised over $8000.00. Rick would really like to surpass the total raised when toolman ran this auction, when in 2008 he raised over $10,000. Now that the economy is beginning to hum along again, hopefully this auction will follow suit!

Here is a copy of the highlights of Streamwatch in 2010:

Two Officer Assistants were hired, covering Oldman, Nordegg and Rocky Mountain House regions. The primary purpose of regular patrols is to help protect fishery resources on specific river systems like North and South Ram, North Saskatchewan, Bighorn, Blackstone, Oldman, Livingstone and their tributaries. Collectively, student officers made over 600 face to face contacts with resource users.

In 2010, Alberta Justice directed $10,700 in fs to Stream Watch from fish and wildlife violations. In 2010, we fmished the work with the Alberta Conservation Association on a three-year bull trout study on the Ram and Fall Creek river systems. In the fall of 2007, the program started with a field assessment of the spawning run. Lower Fall Creek was walked, angled and snorkeled to complete redd surveys. In 2008, genetic samples were collected from the Ram and North Saskatchewan and some Fall Creek bull trout were radio telemetry implanted to determine overwintering locations. The project final report and related studies showed Fall Creek as being a significant spawning area for bull trout and the work resulted in the closure of Fall Creek to angling from the upstream falls to the confluence with the Ram River.

I know Stream Watch can count on your continuing support through the Auction and if possible, please consider supporting Stream Watch through an individual or corporate donation. Also, if you know of potential corporate or individual donors that we should contact, please let me know and I'll make sure that happens.

Thank you,

Al Caldwell

Auction Guidelines:

You can post your bids on this thread or make a silent bid by sending rickr a pm. When bids for any of the items listed have reached a reasonable offer (met or exceeded market value) and/or, have been posted for a period of time with no new bids forthcoming, we will announce a Closing Notice with a closing date/time for the item.

All payments for items are expected to be honored within 10 days of the items closing date. Payment details, including acceptable methods of payments, mailing address and contact information, are explained at the bottom of this page.

Your support is greatly appreciated and thanks to all who have already donated generously.

Now lets have some fun....Let the bidding begin...

********************************************************************************

Payments can be made by cheque or credit card. Cheques should be made payable to "Trout Unlimited Canada." Send all cheques for donations and payment for auction items, to:

Trout Unlimited Canada

Ste. 160, 6712 Fisher St. S.E.

Calgary, AB, T2H 2A7

Attn: Kimberly Davidson

Memo note: Please mark all cheque payments "Alberta Stream Watch". Please indicate your Auction item # on your payment or mark Donation.

T.U.C. does not use PayPal, but will accept all major Credit Cards.

To pay for an auction item or make a donation with a Credit Card, contact Kimberly Davidson, Trout Unlimited Canada in Calgary, @ 403-221-8360. Make sure to mention that your payment is for a donation or for an Auction Item for Alberta Streamwatch and for an auction items be sure to give her the Auction Item # you are paying for..

If you have purchased an auction item and completed payment, we will notify the member who has donated the item/service.

The buyer should then contact the member via pm or phone to make arrangements to receive their goods/services.

Special thanks to our 2011 Stream Watch Corporate Partners. Also, thanks to Fly Fish Calgary for continuing to allow us to run this auction on their site.

A full list of sponsors can be seen here:

Current Stream Watch Sponsors

I would also like to thank toolman for doing this the first two years and giving me a template to steal, and of course to Al for ogranizing this whole thing! So lets get going:

********************************************************************************

2011 Streamwatch Auction Items

1. PANORAMA ADVENTURE

Explore the many rivers and streams in the Panorama area, with your host, Rick Reeves, if I can talk him into it! (This is a non-guided trip).

More info from me:

"We will be fishing for 2 1/2 days at various rivers/streams in the Invermere/Canal Flats area. The trip will be sometime in September. It will be mainly a Cuttie trip, as the Bulls will have already left to do their thing. I'll drive and supply the accommodations. We will split the gas, food and any necessary beverages. This is for up to TWO ANGLERS. I am also willing to consider turning this into a camping trip in some remote waters I've been thinking about if the winner prefers. Here is a link to our trips the last few years:"

2008 BC Cuttie Trip

BC Cuttie Trip 2010

Current Bid:

2. LOWER BOW JET TRIP with host/guide Tungsten

More info from Mike:

"This will be a full day on the water, below Hwy. 24, down too the reserve section of the lower Bow. Will include flies, lunch and beverages. We can go anytime that is convenient, from July 1st, untill the end of the season, pending on conditions. If you want to drift fish, I can take two anglers. Or, if you want to jet from run too run and stop to fish, no problem and I can take up to three anglers. I am not a guide, just a guy who likes to fish!"

Additional info from Rickr:

I have had the pleasure of fishing with Mike when he took me and my son on an evening trip on his boat. Like Taco above, don't let him get in front of you! But if any fish around are willing to be caught, Mike can put you on them. We had a fantastic time! Here are some shots of what you can expect, minus the lime green shirt:

Tungsten Trip Pic 1

Tungsten Trip Pic 2

Tungsten trip Pic 3

Current Bid:

3. RED DEER RIVER DRIFT with host/guide Sanky

More info from Tony:

"I would like to donate a full day float on the Red Deer River between Jun 1 and Jun 4, inclusive, to catch the Skwala Stonefly Hatch. I do suggest a mid-week float so that we encounter very little traffic and have the whole river to ourselves.

A BBQ lunch will be provided along with water and snacks. Please anticipate a long day on the water, as hatch times may vary and we might only get off the water at dark. This trip is for up to two anglers in a low profile Hyde. I am not a guide but I LOVE to flyfish." Note: These dates may be subject to change due to snow pack/runoff/hatch conditions.

Current Bid:

4. "15 LB of LIVE ATLANTIC LOBSTER!" Donated by Joey's Seafood Restaurants

From James at Joeys Seafood: These Live Atlantic Lobsters Average1.4lbs each, so 11 lobsters average total. This can be redeemed at anytime. All I need is a week or two notice and I will have the suckers flown in. I can provide a gift certificate with serial # that can be held on to till redemtion. That way people can plan a party...I would think summer and have a shin dig.

Thanks to James (simpson) for this donation, and

Joey's Seafood Restaurants (Headoffice)

514 - 42 Ave SE

Calgary

Current Bid:

5. SPEY CASTING LESSON donated by toolman

This is a 1/2 day Spey Casting lesson on The Bow with toolman, Greg Allard. If you are new to Spey Casting, thinking about getting into it, or have been doing it for awhile and want to improve your skill, this lesson is perfect for you. Don't be surprised if at some point during the lesson you get to practice some fish handling as well.

Current Bid:

6. "Sundance Lake Hawg Hunt" with Host/Guide monger

More from monger:

"Join me for a tour on Sundance lake to find and fool some 6-12lb rainbows. Good numbers of large fish were stocked in May and September 2009. A number of different techniques are available to catch fish and add to your tool kit for use on other stillwaters. Fish to 30" are cruising and waiting to strain your wrist. Last year the early spring fishing was pretty awesome with good numbers of fish caught at the surface. It was pretty entertaining if like watching big wakes chase your fly.

Cheers, Rob (Monger)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/fishm...ngRobR003-1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/fishmonger/IMG_7171.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/fishm...ng003.jpg"

Current Bid:

7. "TACO'S TRIP INTO THE GREAT UNKNOWN" with your host/guide Taco

More from Taco:

"How about a unknown waters trout exploratory trip? Just jump in my truck and see what we can find for fish in Southern Alberta kinda thing. Some of these places I haven't fished in yrs, who knows exactly where.I'll supply food and beverages. The buyer must have the ability to ride in a cowman's truck , with all it's associated sounds and smells. I also have plenty of equipment to loan, for small, tight water"

From rickr: Here is the chance to do what lots of us talk about, but few of us actually do: go on a total explore trip. From fishing with Taco before, I can pretty much guarantee wherever you end up, you won't be walking in anyone else's footprints! I'll pay the buyer to bring my gps along!

Current Bid:

8 .ADC'sTRIP TO POLICE OUTPOST with your host/guide ADC

More from Al:

"This trip is for one or two anglers to Police Outpost Lake. Angler(s) will meet Al in Ft. Mcleod. Al has access to 3 pontoon boats if required. The best dates would be in May or June, date to be mutually agreed upon. This is an opportunity to learn what is going to become Alberta's next trophy lake. "

Current Bid:

9. "DRIFT BOAT & SLAVE FOR A DAY" with your guide/host dune

more from dune:

"Full day on the water for 1 or 2 anglers on the river… open to either a section of the lower Bow south of Calgary OR if interested i could do a section of the Elk River near Fernie BC.

mutually agreed to time between July 1 and end of season.

you supply your own travel & accoms (if req’d), kit, food & drinks; i supply boat, oar power and a little local knowledge.

i am in no way a guide, just a dude who has drift boat and knows how to get it places where fish sometime happen to be.

some conditions apply, see in store for details, batteries not included.

Current Bid:

10 .Caddisflies, by Gary LaFontaine, first edition, 1981. Signed!

This book is in good condition and has the dustcover. The book is signed by Gary LaFontaine to the late Bob Cormier co-author of, Mayflies. It was purchased at Bob’s estate sale in the Pass. The book will be mailed anywhere in Canada.

Gary LaFontaine was a frequent speaker in Calgary at conclaves over the years. Gary LaFontaine passed away on January 4, 2002 from Lou Gehrig’s disease.

The result of 10 years of intensive study, this book introduces tested patterns that imitate the live insect. Then it presents detailed instructions on how to fish larval, pupal, and adult flies—strategies, tactics, and proven techniques. A careful study of indicators that signal emergence and egg-laying, and instruction on the different ways that fish feed on each stage. 336 pages include index, bibliography, B&W drawings and instructional photos, color plates.

Amazon.com Review

Hailed as a classic almost as soon as it came out in the early 1980s, this combination of entomology and fly-fishing instruction puts a small insect--the caddis fly--under the microscope to help anglers get big results on the water. Misunderstood for years, LaFontaine explains why caddis should be an important part of any fly-fisher's arsenal of flies, and his arguments are very persuasive. With in-depth and anecdote-punctuated discussions of the insect's biology and life cycle, tactics for deciding at what stage in the life cycle caddis are being fed upon (nymph, emerger, or dun), and various methods of presenting imitations, the author provides a thorough and scientific approach to catching fish. Caddisflies is analytical fly-fishing instruction at its best.

Images

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/2/d/8/6398...flies5001-0.jpg

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/2/d/8/6398...flies4991-0.jpg

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/2/d/8/6398...flies4986-0.jpg

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/2/d/8/6398...flies4987-0.jpg

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/2/d/8/6398...flies4992-0.jpg

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/2/d/8/6398...flies4996-0.jpg

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/2/d/8/6398...flies4993-0.jpg

from Rickr: This book sales for up to $160.00. So I'll kick the bidding off on this one!

Current Bid: Rickr $75.00

11. ÜberFly's Back Country Backpacking Trip with your guide/host ÜberFly

more from Pete:

"This year I'll offer up a "Non-guided" backpacking/fly fishing trip for a couple to a TBD destination for a weekend (one night) with Deb and myself... I'll supply home made gourmet backpacking cuisine for the dinner. Winning bidders must be physically fit and have some basic level of outdoor exp. Also, they must have all their own transportation, angling license, equipment and be willing to respect the outdoor environment , i.e., no open fires (if we go into an area where they are not allowed) and proper disposal of waste/garbage, etc. (not sure how to put that, but we can work on it). This would be a perfect trip for a (M/F) couple that is interested in learning about backpacking and/or back country fly fishing..."

Current Bid:

I still have a couple of auctions in the bag that I will start as these end, and I fully anticipate many more to come!!

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOTE: SEE LAST PAGE OF THIS THREAD FOR UP TO DATE AUCTION BIDS AND NEW AUCTION ITEMS!!!!

2010 Streamwatch Auction Items

1. TACO'S CUTTHROAT SAFARI...with Host/Guide Taco

More info. from Taco...

"I'll offer up a guided Aug- early Sept, Cutthroat trip for 1 angler, somewhere in the headwaters of the OMR system, buyers choice of time and place, I'll supply food and beverages. Meet in the Gap area and the buyer must have the ability to ride in a cowman's regular cab truck, with all it's associated sounds and smells. I also have plenty of equipment to loan, for small, tight water"

Additional Info from Rickr:

I have been on a small water trip with Taco. As long as you don't let him get in front of you and catch all the fish, I could not recommend this trip more. It was an awesome experience catching fish in tiny, and sometimes not so tiny water!

Current Bid: $275 Cheeler

2. PANORAMA ADVENTURE

Explore the many rivers and streams in the Panorama area, with your hosts, Rick Reeves and Jared Murray, if I can talk him into it! (This is a non-guided trip).

More info from me:

"We will be fishing for 2 1/2 days at various rivers/streams in the Invermere/Canal Flats area. The trip will be sometime in September. It will be mainly a Cuttie trip, as the Bulls will have already left to do their thing. I'll drive and supply the accommodations. We will split the food and any necessary beverages. This is for up to TWO ANGLERS. Here is a link to our trips the last two years:"

2008 BC Cuttie Trip

BC Cuttie Trip 2010

Current Bid: $250 Uberfly

3. LOWER BOW JET TRIP with host/guide Tungsten

More info from Mike:

"This will be a full day on the water, below Hwy. 24, down too the reserve section of the lower Bow. Will include flies, lunch and beverages. We can go anytime that is convenient, from July 1st, untill the end of the season, pending on conditions. If you want to drift fish, I can take two anglers. Or, if you want to jet from run too run and stop to fish, no problem and I can take up to three anglers. I am not a guide, just a guy who likes to fish!"

Additional info from Rickr:

I have had the pleasure of fishing with Mike when he took me and my son on an evening trip on his boat. Like Taco above, don't let him get in front of you! But if any fish around are willing to be caught, Mike can put you on them. We had a fantastic time! Here are some shots of what you can expect, minus the lime green shirt:

Tungsten Trip Pic 1

Tungsten Trip Pic 2

Tungsten trip Pic 3

Current Bid: $375 H2O

4. Central Alberta Brown Trout Adventure with guide/host Fishpro

More info from fishpro:

One day of fishing for Brown Trout on a Central Alberta stream, location to be disclosed to the winner. This trip is for one or two anglers, could handle three but would be quite crowded, many pools are suited to one fisherman only. Anglers can expect good numbers of trout, with the possibility of fish pushing 20 inches or larger. Trip can be taken between late June and late August. We will hopefully be dry fly fishing, but streamers are also effective. A 3-5 weight rod is the best choice. I will meet the winning bidder that morning in NW Calgary or somewhere near the stream.

Current Bid:$200 Invermereangler

5. RED DEER RIVER DRIFT with host/guide Sanky

More info from Tony:

"I would like to donate a full day float on the Red Deer River between Jun 1 and Jun 4, inclusive, to catch the Skwala Stonefly Hatch. I do suggest a mid-week float so that we encounter very little traffic and have the whole river to ourselves.

A BBQ lunch will be provided along with water and snacks. Please anticipate a long day on the water, as hatch times may vary and we might only get off the water at dark. This trip is for up to two anglers in a low profile Hyde. I am not a guide but I LOVE to flyfish." Note: These dates may be subject to change due to snow pack/runoff/hatch conditions.

Current Bid:$350 troutlover

6. ELK RIVER FLOAT TRIP with your Host/Guide Don Jensen of Wildlife West Adventures

More info from Don "This is a 1 day float on the Elk River, Fernie BC for summer of 2010 to include lunch, soft drinks, flies and leaders if needed. Not included: license, transportation to Fernie, gratuties. This trip is for two anglers"

Here is a poster describing the trip:

thumbnaill.jpg

And a few pics to further whet the appetite:

Elk Pic 1

Elk Pic 2

Elk Pic 3

Elk Pic 4

A little trip to Cuttie Heaven! Anyone need to say more? Gotta tell everyone, I thought of just buying it myself and not putting it up for auction!

Current Bid:$475 Gustuphson

7. "I LIKE CAKE" by moderator, general troublemaker, and now chef BigBowTrout

More info from Chris:

"I would like to offer a BIGBOWTROUT CAKE SPECIAL. I will bake a cake of the winning bidders choice (I don't bake but how hard can it be). I will hand deliver the cake to almost anywhere in Alberta within reason and as long as there is good fishing close by"

Now I guess we need someone to donate a pie to settle the debate once and for all!

Current Bid:$25.01 dune

8. RED HAWK WOOD BURNING by artist Evan Lacey (samuraifly)

More info from Evan "This is a wood burning I did of a red tail hawk, burned on a 8 1/2" x 11 bass wood plaque. This one took me about 8 hours "

hawkbig.jpg

Evan is also interested in doing commission work. If interested, please contact him at elacey1980@gmail.com.

Here are a couple of posts on this site showing more of Evan's beautiful work:

Wood Burning Post 1

Wood Burning Post 2

Current Bid:$40.00 BigBowTrout

9. "WHO WANTS CAKE WHEN YOU CAN HAVE PIE" brought to you byUberfly

Oh, it's on now! The debate can finally be settled.

More info from Peter:

"I'll bake the pie (but can't guarantee I will be available to deliver - but we'll figure that out later)... Also, I will only bake one based on what seasonal fruit is available at that paticular point in time (i.e. may not have a choice on what kind of pie - I will guarantee that it will be freshly baked and 100% homemade - including crust)"

From Rickr:If Pete can't deliver the pie, I can anywhere from Edmonton to Southern Alberta as long as the winner is willing to work with me on dates. And fishing locations.

Current Bid:Brunsie $25.00

10. NEW ZEALAND MADE "BROWN'S and BOW'S LANDING NET" Hand Crafted by Curt Carlson

More info from Curt:

Browns & Bows landing nets are hand crafted by Curt Carlson, (Alberta born) in Russell, New Zealand. Brown and Rainbow are the iconic trout of New Zealand. Everything you hear is true, big, wary to the angler, but fantastic to catch, and the rivers, streams, creeks and scenery are truly wild. Each summer I bring a few nets back to Calgary and am very pleased to offer this to the Stream watch Alberta auction. As we say in NZ, "good on ya".

Each is unique, crafted one at a time, in limited numbers, at my shop. They are made from hardwoods such as Tasmanian Blackwood, Taraire, Matai,Tawa, Fiddleback Red Gum, Rewarewa, Kauri, Macrocarpa and Rimu. (I've secured a small supply of Ancient Kauri; this wood is excavated from far north swampy areas and is carbon dated to be 30,000-40,000 years old.) The handle of the frame has a variety of contrasting wood spots consistent with the trout you catch and release. Each net is "Browns & Bows " engraved to recognize New Zealand as a terrific fly fishing destination

BrownsandBows.jpg

BrownsandBows2.jpg

From Rickr: Thanks to BigBowTrout for talking to Curt about this donation. Seriously, I wish I could bid on this! A gorgeous and unique item for any Fly Fisherman in Alberta to own.

Current Bid:$90 Dune

11. "BOW RIVER NYMPHS and FLY BOX" tied and donated byTightline

More info from Sean:

"A dozen and two bonus flies of some of the most productive nymphs of the Bow for the past three years. Flies include personal hand tied variations of: san juan worm, caddis emerger, prince nymph, pheasant tail, copper john and hydropsyche.

Flies come in a waterproof, double sided see through waterproof box with plenty of space for you to continue to fill!"

Value: $45

Current Bid:$25.00 Uberfly

12. "20 LB of RED KING CRAB LEGS" Donated by Joey's Seafood Restaurants

This is one case of Red King Crab Legs, retail value of $250.00. Thanks to James (simpson) for this donation, and

514 - 42 Ave SE

Calgary

Current Bid:$150.00 Tungsten

13. "24 LB OF SHRIMP" Donated by Joey's Seafood Restaurants

This is one case of Shrimp in 6, 4 lb blocks, 35 shrimp per lb, peeled and ready to go. Retail value of $190.00. Thanks to James (simpson) for this donation, and

514 - 42 Ave SE

Calgary

Current Bid:

NOTE: SEE LAST PAGE OF THIS THREAD FOR UP TO DATE AUCTION BIDS AND NEW AUCTION ITEMS!!!!

I will have a copy of the auction at or near the top of each page of the auction.

Also, if I decide I want a cheese cake, NY style, would I bid on the cake, or a pie since a NY chessecake kinda looks like a pie?

It's called cheese CAKE!!!!!!!!!!facepalm.gif