Fly Fusion Forums

Orvis Helios

I bought a 5wt 10' tip flex and love it.Tons of power and so light its not even there.Hard to justify the price to the wife though!If you ever coning into calgary let me know its in my car all the time and we could meet up down at the river and you could give it a try.

I also have a 6 wt, tip flex. In my opinion, it is the nicest rod in my arsenal. Its already been mentioned before but talk about lightweight. I matched it up with a Lamson Lightspeed reel and I love it. If you can look past the price without having a heart attack, i promise you wont be dissapointed. Mine doesn't live in the car but if you sent me a note you would be more than welcome to take her down to the river for a day. All I need is the request.

Murray

I have the 6wt 9' 6" tip flex. I went through about 5 rods and landed on this one. I am extremely happy with it. I have had a number of guides also cast it and said it is one of the nicest casting rods they have tried. I had to pry the rod out of one guys hand's. I put 7wt line on it and even with really bad arthritis in my shoulder I can throw line like there is no tomorrow.

B.

I bought the 4wt 8'6 last summer and love it. Yes the price tag is a bit of a downer but for me it was a chance to treat myself to something special. I had a 5wt Orvis Clearwater before that so this was a pretty big step up in quality. Not one episode of buyer's remorse either.

I wouldn't be keeping your rod (or anything else for that matter) in my vehicle after some of the reports on here recently regarding vehicles getting broken into... It's way too much of a hassle on the back end if in fact if it was stolen!! But each to his or her own, I guess!

P

its in my car all the time

@ $800 +, I'd be keeping it with me (plus it's a great conversation starter on the elevator - especially if you are all geared up with waders and all! LoL ;)).

P

point taken....but then i cant go fishing on my lunch break.

I have 3 Orvis Helios rods, 4 and 5 wt mid flex and a 6 wt tip flex, all 9ft. I have been flyfishing for over 30 years, fished Sage, Loomis and earlier Orvis rods. IMHO there is no better rod than the Helios. Extremely versatile, effortless casting from dries to streamers.

I am considering a 7wt flex tip specifically for my CCI learning

It was a little busy at the expo around the casting pond so I didn't get a chance to try it out - are one of the shops equiped so I can test it first, for that sized chunk of cheddar it seems prudent to at least try it out

Wow! I can't imagine a single handed graphite rod from any manufacturer on the planet worth that kind of money. It better have an unconditional lifetime warranty against breakage and a prompt no shipping fee for repair or replacement service to. :blink:

Wow! I can't imagine a single handed graphite rod from any manufacturer on the planet worth that kind of money. It better have an unconditional lifetime warranty against breakage and a prompt no shipping fee for repair or replacement service to. :blink:

How long will it take?

We will return your fly rod to you, as good as new, usually in three to six weeks

The Orvis Fly Rod 25-Year Guarantee

Purchase an Orvis Helios, Zero Gravity, T3, TLS, Superfine (since 01/01/88), Clearwater, Clearwater II, or Custom fly rod and we will repair or replace it no matter what the reason, for a quarter of a century. Step on it, close the door on it, run over it with the car-it doesn't matter, we'll fix it. If we can't repair it, we'll choose a current fly rod of at least equal value to replace it. Your investment is assured for a nominal shipping and handling charge.

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=446

Interesting the Hydros isn't included in the 25 year Guarantee?! It's only a few $100s less!!

P

How long will it take?

We will return your fly rod to you, as good as new, usually in three to six weeks

The Orvis Fly Rod 25-Year Guarantee

Purchase an Orvis Helios, Zero Gravity, T3, TLS, Superfine (since 01/01/88), Clearwater, Clearwater II, or Custom fly rod and we will repair or replace it no matter what the reason, for a quarter of a century. Step on it, close the door on it, run over it with the car-it doesn't matter, we'll fix it. If we can't repair it, we'll choose a current fly rod of at least equal value to replace it. Your investment is assured for a nominal shipping and handling charge.

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=446

I would have more regrets buying a cheap rod that doesnt preform like I want it to........I bought my rod at country pleasures and would buy another in a heartbeat.....