Fly Fusion Forums

The Best 5wt Reel

bigbrooktrout

Im not a pro by any means but i have 2 okuma helios reels and for 2 bones ...u cant beat it(think ebay has them for 169) . Check one out sometime, super smooth drag(smooth start up, not big strain then the drag lets go). I also think they r salt resistant too. Wholesale got'em

Personally i would get the Amundson TXS, it 100% machined aluminum, and has a solid sealed cork drag system, and its 100 bucks at fishtales. http://amundson.ca/accessories/flyreels/TXS.html

Nick

X2

I have two of the TXS, one on my 5wt and one on my new 6wt, and for the money, you can't beat it. Awesome reel for the money.

It really depends on what features you are looking for. Click/pawl ? Islander IR4LA, no question, hands down. Will them to your great grandchildren. (IF you can find one under $300)

Exceptional disc drag, super large arbor, amazingly light? Amundson's Wind Warrior Feather Lite 4/6 Fly Reel WWXL here

I spent last year torture-testing the prototype on both 5wt single-hand and the 1134 Trout Spey before recommending it go into production. The drag is cork/polymer composite disc onto a stainless disc, butter-smooth, never sticks, lube not required and expels any water between the discs to stop incidental "hydro-planing" free wheeling.

$229 is retail. Fish Tales will have them.

j

You can get Islander IR4LAs out of the States for under 3 bills Canuck, ain't no finer click/pawl out there

I have the IR3 and have had nothing but problems. I have had to replace the pawl (I believe that is what the small adjustable piece that the center gear assy runs against is called). I thought perhaps i wasnt cleaning it properly and had islander send me a tube of grease/cleaner the first time I had them send me a replacement pawl. Once again i am having to email them for parts ( they wouldnt give me an extra the first time). Agree its a nice reel when working but IMO, it aint worth the hassles. I would go with disc drag if I ever bought islander again

ps. anyone else have this issue with the IR series

ps. anyone else have this issue with the IR series

WOW !! I now have eight Islanders of which five are IR series. They are definitely not decorations, I use them a lot and thankfully under stress at times. I have yet to change out a pawl!

I'd almost be inclined to send the reel back to Islander and have them take a look at it, to see if there are some alignment issues or something.

If you want to do this on your own(no dealer involved with a "version" of your problem) them PM me and I will give you a specific address and contact name who can make sure it is dealt with.

j

WOW !! I now have eight Islanders of which five are IR series. They are definitely not decorations, I use them a lot and thankfully under stress at times. I have yet to change out a pawl!

I'd almost be inclined to send the reel back to Islander and have them take a look at it, to see if there are some alignment issues or something.

If you want to do this on your own(no dealer involved with a "version" of your problem) them PM me and I will give you a specific address and contact name who can make sure it is dealt with.

j

after about ones years use after purchasing it new i noticed i had almost zero drag on the max setting.I took it apaprt and saw that there was a groove worn in the pawl. I took it to the local shop I bought it from ansd they directed to me islander website. I explained problem and they sent me a new pawl and a tube of grease with cleaning instructions.I installed new pawl, ensured it moved freely and cleaned reel after every use. 1 1/2 years later and the same deal. A groove in the new pawl. I am going to email islander again and see what they will do. I was thinking of asking for a replacement reel this time. I will let you all know how it works out.

again, when it is working it is a beautiful reel. i obviously got a lemon

after about ones years use after purchasing it new i noticed i had almost zero drag on the max setting.I took it apaprt and saw that there was a groove worn in the pawl. I took it to the local shop I bought it from ansd they directed to me islander website. I explained problem and they sent me a new pawl and a tube of grease with cleaning instructions.I installed new pawl, ensured it moved freely and cleaned reel after every use. 1 1/2 years later and the same deal. A groove in the new pawl. I am going to email islander again and see what they will do. I was thinking of asking for a replacement reel this time. I will let you all know how it works out.

again, when it is working it is a beautiful reel. i obviously got a lemon

OK, do it your way. I'm just trying to help you bypass the "standard procedures", that's all.

j

I had a similar problem with an IR3. The pawl had worn a groove in the ratchet wheel after about 3 seasons. I sent it to Islander and they were great. They not only replaced the ratchet wheel, but the pawls and spring. The reel came back looking like new. All it cost me was about $15 to ship it to Victoria. Islander all the way. Terry

You can get Islander IR4LAs out of the States for under 3 bills Canuck, ain't no finer click/pawl out there

Bit of an oops, I checked the website again and the price has gone up since I bought mine, it's 310 USD shipped for the 4LA nowadays, still a good price with the dollar close to parity.

edit BTW the IR3 which is for 5-6 wts is 270usd shipped

OK, do it your way. I'm just trying to help you bypass the "standard procedures", that's all.

j

Jack,

thank you very much for your help. I emailed islander over the weekend and their was an immediate response this morning from Barry Stokes @ Isalnder. He has requested i send it in (which i will do tomorrow) for a look see. Again, i really like this reel when its working. I will let you all know how it all plays out.

Thx again,

Y

I had a similar problem with an IR3. The pawl had worn a groove in the ratchet wheel after about 3 seasons. I sent it to Islander and they were great. They not only replaced the ratchet wheel, but the pawls and spring. The reel came back looking like new. All it cost me was about $15 to ship it to Victoria. Islander all the way. Terry

Terry,

Im glad to hear they took care of you. The immediate response I got tells me they will do the same fore me.

• 3 weeks later...
Bit of an oops, I checked the website again and the price has gone up since I bought mine, it's 310 USD shipped for the 4LA nowadays, still a good price with the dollar close to parity.

edit BTW the IR3 which is for 5-6 wts is 270usd shipped

Taco is this off e bay or somewhere else?PM me if you like.