Fly Fusion Forums

Short And Fast Or Short And Medium

ÜberFly

Great to hear that overlining light rods is commonplace. I have a 8'6" med 3wt and it's perfect in every way but it just doesn't load when fishing dries at short distances, needs just a little more weight. I bought this rod as a dry fly rod. Anyways, I've been thinking for awhile of overlining it and will probably go for it now. I was thinking of getting a 2, which would be fun and I will get one someday, but a long 3 makes more sense for where I fish (roll casting and fair sized trout) and it's just near impossible, and not really practical at all, to own a different rod for every application, for a dude like me anyways :).

Great talk about rods. Now, better start another talk about lines. DT vs WF, stiff vs supple, reliability of product, etc. There are vast differences. Take a look at how each performs on different rods, how each lays out on the water, how your casting stroke impacts the line to how it lays out. I'd rather cast my old $75 Mitchell special fly rod with my chartreuse Cortland 4wt dt floating than my $800 Orvis Helios with any other fly line. Sounds lame but the line is that important to me. Just hoping to help further the hunt for you.

Cheers from a rainy place in the world today.

:)

u got it dave!!!!! lines are important too. for my lightweight sticks nad dryfly rigs ive bin reall loving the rio gold and loop opti stillwater lines.. the selective trout by rio isnt bad either but it has a super long front taper that i only use when im on th odd lake were i need a delicate cast on teh flats.... SA gpx and rio grande lines are nice too lined a half line size heavier than the standards too for those shorter casts no having th full head out of the tip of the rod! what lines are u digging these days dave?

Hey guys, new to the board here, so first I'll introduce myself. The name's Steve, I live in Lethbridge... I'm 30 and have been fly-fishing southern AB and southeast BC since I was around 10.

I was recently given(by a non-fishing friend) a 9foot medium action 4wt that I may keep and throw into the rotation. Any good suggestions for lining this particular rod? (probably throw dries with it...)

Hey Steve,

Welcome!

Medium action probably go with a standard weight line as opposed to overlining it, but that could depend on your casting style. Fishtales has some of the last years Rio Selective trout II on sale for $40 and I have it on a med action 8'6" beulah 4wt and like it a lot!!

*edit* I also have a new reel loaded up with 4 wt Rio Gold and will try this out this coming dry season... I will be using the selective trout II primarily for back country lake fishing and the gold on the Bow.

P

Hey guys, new to the board here, so first I'll introduce myself. The name's Steve, I live in Lethbridge... I'm 30 and have been fly-fishing the southern AB and southeast BC since I was around 10.

I was recently given(by a non-fishing friend) a 9foot medium action 4wt that I may keep and throw into the rotation. Any good suggestions for lining this particular rod? (probably throw dries with it...)

Hey Steve,

Welcome!

Medium action probably go with a standard weight line as opposed to overlining it, but that could depend on your casting style. Fishtales has some of the last years Rio Selective trout II on sale for $40 and I have it on a med action 8'6" beulah 4wt and like it a lot!!

*edit* I also have a new reel loaded up with 4 wt Rio Gold and will try this out this coming dry season... I will be using the selective trout II primarily for back country lake fishing and the gold on the Bow.

P

I actually saw the lines that they have on sale at Fish Tales there too. I'm looking for a line for my new Launch 6wt 9' that I got for Christmas. Was thinking about the Cortland Precision Trout Specific for it, or the Rio Grand, but I saw a nymph taper in the bucket in a 6wt and was very tempted.

I know lots of guys have this same rod, was wondering what most of you use for it. Going to be my nymph/streamer rod for the Bow, in case you guys want to know what I plan on using it for.

Bruce, nice rods, but a little bit outta my price range!! About $400 outta my price range, actually!!

P

Come to the fly show and try one of the Loomis Whispercreek series of rods, they are just right for what you might be looking for.

I actually saw the lines that they have on sale at Fish Tales there too. I'm looking for a line for my new Launch 6wt 9' that I got for Christmas. Was thinking about the Cortland Precision Trout Specific for it, or the Rio Grand, but I saw a nymph taper in the bucket in a 6wt and was very tempted.

I know lots of guys have this same rod, was wondering what most of you use for it. Going to be my nymph/streamer rod for the Bow, in case you guys want to know what I plan on using it for.

I think the Rio Grand is a 1/2 wt heavy, I own 3 launchs and I would not overline these rods, but thats just me

Hey,

I tried the precision trout last year a bunch on the bow, I believe it was the western drifter brown trout model. I found it to be complete garbage in comparsion to the cortland classic 444 peach. Alhough it layed out nice straight casts the first couple weeks, slid through the guides well, there were some major problems. Even though I give my lines an occasional clean and conditioner, it was begining to crack up after a month, cracked to the point of unusable half way through the season. This line is very supple and soft which can be nice for cold weather, throwing nice straight lines, but the line was very grabby and wanted to knot up and tangle very easily. Anyhow, long story short, this product is completely inferior to the cortland classic 444, just by virtue of its short usable lifespan! (12-15 uses?)

I think the Rio Grand is a 1/2 wt heavy, I own 3 launchs and I would not overline these rods, but thats just me

Hey,

I tried the precision trout last year a bunch on the bow, I believe it was the western drifter brown trout model. I found it to be complete garbage in comparsion to the cortland classic 444 peach. Alhough it layed out nice straight casts the first couple weeks, slid through the guides well, there were some major problems. Even though I give my lines an occasional clean and conditioner, it was begining to crack up after a month, cracked to the point of unusable half way through the season. This line is very supple and soft which can be nice for cold weather, throwing nice straight lines, but the line was very grabby and wanted to knot up and tangle very easily. Anyhow, long story short, this product is completely inferior to the cortland classic 444, just by virtue of its short usable lifespan! (12-15 uses?)

This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for! Thanks a bunch guys!

I have the Cortland 444 Classic on my 8'6" 5wt and love how it feels. It's not the peach, its green, but have heard really good things about the peach. What is it that makes the peach better? Is it just a different colour or what?

Jay, thanks for the idea. I just may do that.

from what ive seen fng the peach classic taper is the same as the mint classic taper.. most line companies come in a few different colors.. one line make i use the most would be airflo.. they are probably the most durable lines out there!but i only use a few of there line tapers! so im not sure how the rest fish

I too use the airflo line. I use the tactical ridge line and am very happy with it. It is designed with grooves running down the entire length to reduce friction and increase lubrication. I find it shoots line like a dream. This is gonna be my third year fishing this line and it is still going strong. I don't think I can detect any deterioration in the line yet. It has a 5 yr guarantee against cracks.

I may sound like a rep, but I am just a satisfied customer.

Worth a try at the show if ya get a chance.

This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for! Thanks a bunch guys!

I have the Cortland 444 Classic on my 8'6" 5wt and love how it feels. It's not the peach, its green, but have heard really good things about the peach. What is it that makes the peach better? Is it just a different colour or what?

Jay, thanks for the idea. I just may do that.

FNG,

The Green Cortland 444 is designated as Cortland 444 SL - supposedly shots better than the regular peach 444.

catch ya'

Don

I'd never trade my 7ft 3in St Croix 3WT Legend Ultra for a million bucks. Lined with a double taper SA mastery line, she's deadly in tight quarters. And QUIET on the water. Nothing frustrates me more than finding a big rising cutt or rainbow in a small stream and the line putting it down. Not with this setup. I can cast over a bow river riser until it eats too. The line lands very softly. the only problem with these light, medium action setups, is if it's a windy day, you really have to adjust a lot to make a good presentation..

lots of guys on FFA, and even on here used to bash us "light rod" users. Boy how times have changed eh? Now it's ok I guess? Well if you ever get a dirty look for using a 3wt or similar, tell those guys fishing there 5's and 6's and preaching to shove it. It's all in, 1) how you play the fish , and 2) tippet size.

I'd never trade my 7ft 3in St Croix 3WT Legend Ultra for a million bucks. Lined with a double taper SA mastery line, she's deadly in tight quarters. And QUIET on the water. Nothing frustrates me more than finding a big rising cutt or rainbow in a small stream and the line putting it down. Not with this setup. I can cast over a bow river riser until it eats too. The line lands very softly. the only problem with these light, medium action setups, is if it's a windy day, you really have to adjust a lot to make a good presentation..

lots of guys on FFA, and even on here used to bash us "light rod" users. Boy how times have changed eh? Now it's ok I guess? Well if you ever get a dirty look for using a 3wt or similar, tell those guys fishing there 5's and 6's and preaching to shove it. It's all in, 1) how you play the fish , and 2) tippet size.

I heard it numerous times that a DT in a given line weight will mend more easily and cast better at short distances than a WF of the same weight but never really understood why the casting is easier? Maybe a DT3 is what I'm looking for instead of overlining my rod.

Regarding the whole overlining debate, the latest Orvis fly fishing podcasts is a primer on floating lines; they discuss this very topic. Dude claims that most new faster action rods need to be overlined and that this is the idea behind lines like GPX etc. The line weight system, which is fixed, i.e. by definition a 6 wt is 160 grains in the first 30 feet etc., was designed before all the fast rods.

Then again, it's all what works for you personally in the end.

Anyways, check out this podcast, I'm learning tons.

http://www.orvis.com/podcast

Teck, so are you saying you don't like the rod or line?

P

Just picked up a guideline 4wt from Hansons, the price was right 250 bones for the whole shebang. casts fine but I don"t like how the line shoots so I might be changing that before I fish it.

Which rod model/length? From what I read most of their rods are "fast action" so might make more sense with a heavier line like Rio Grande or GPX (or overlined)... But that's based on the info people have given me related to my initial inquiry...

P

I am thinking it is the line that will be changing maybe to a SA line Ilike the GPX I have on my 6wt now so am thinking that. but I do like the balance and feel of the rod itself.

Thanks for all the info boys! If I could afford grass that would be the cat's ass, but unfortunately not in this life time (maybe Deb will buy me one for a wedding present?!)

Not all cane costs thousands. Check out this board every now and then and you will see plenty of nice cane rods for under $500.

http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/f...lassifieds.html

There have been a few up in the last few days, actually:

http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/t...er-reduced.html

http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/t...-rod-added.html