Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Fishing Novels?

I have read "A River Why" and "A River Runs Through it", and enjoyed them both tremendously.

What other similar books would you guys recommend? They don't even necessarily have to be about fly fishing just outdoor novels in the vein of "Into the Wild", "A Walk in the Woods" etc...

Thanks everyone!

Salty piece of sand by Jimmy Buffett has some Bone fishing in it, a good read, more on the humor fiction side than outdoors but if you like Bubba the books area shoo-in.

Not fly fishing but ENTIRLEY pro Bass tour and side splitting funny is Double Whammy by Carl Hiassen. (Most of his books have at least some fishing in them)

Hemmingway has some classic fishing related books, Im sure you are aware of Old Man and the Sea. Although not directly fishing related, anything Andy Russell writes is up among my absolute fav outdoor books- there is some fishing though, he used to fish as a kid up on Dry Wood creek, he even talks about noodling for trout!

"Icefields" by Alberta author Thomas Warton (a fictional account of an early 1900 expedition around the Jasper area)

"Touching the Void" by Joe Simpson (much better then the docudrama could even convey)

"Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer (simply an amazing story)

"Under the Banner of Heaven" (though not directly outdoor related a very interesting read) by Jon Krakauer

Watermarks by Jim McLennan

Anything by John Gierach, Thomas McGuane (especially The Longest Silence), and Roderick Haig-Brown

A Good Life Wasted by Dave Ames

I'm currently reading Lines on the Water by David Adams Richards and it's pretty good so far. It's about fishing for salmon on the Miramichi. Won a Governor General's award too.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of these:

Somewhere Down The Crazy River: Journey's in search of Giant Fish by Paul Boote and Jeremy Wade

The Bright Country: A Fisherman's Return to Trout, Wild Water and Himself by Harry Middleton

The Snowfly by Joseph Heywood

Trout Madness by Robert Traver

"Rainbow Chasers" by Irvin Austin MacDonald is a great outdoor-old time-settling the wild west type book that started a bit far fetched, but became one of the best trapping, farming, pack horse traveling books i've read. There are a few fishing references, but in a catching and eating fish context. Definately worth reading for anyone who likes old time pack train sort of reads. Although not novel, I also would highly recommend anything by Rodrick Haig Brown, Bright Waters, Bright Fish is the last I read and it was inspiring. He was an amazing man and you can still visit his estate on the banks of the Campbell River.

Hey Zed. all the above mentioned books have no pictures in them. might prove to be a tough read. But if you want to try I've several books kicking around, D. is coming up from Rev for xmas I'll box them up and have her drop them off on the way home.

merry xmas Kent and a happy new year, already next years trips.

Thanks everyone! I have asked for like 8 of these books for Christmas now so I hopefully can start enjoying them in a few days.

It doesn't have to be just novels either, collections of short stories, essays, anything will do. I just love outdoor literature