Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing In National Parks

PGK

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-sigh-

No, Kris, once again, its how and what you communicate. Mostly how. Your continual challenges in realizing this will lead to further frustration on your part. That's unfortunate, but what can the FFC community do(?), except tolerate you, then ban you, then tolerate you, then ban you.

Ask yourself, why does this happen to me? How come I (Smitty) or Sundance, or literally hundreds of other FFC members don't seem to have too many problems functioning as a contributing member here?

If you come up with some answers to those questions that entail a moderately lengthy discussion about self responsibility, you will have learned something about yourself.

Smitty

P.S. Reminds me of the kid who keeps thinking they're misunderstood, and wondering why do the teachers pick on them, not realizing of course that behavior, attitude, responsibility, their ability to get along - or lack of any of those aforementioned things - in the same sandbox with other kids just might have something to do with it.

I'm glad you got all that off your chest. And I'm glad you think I'm on one side of a proverbial fence. But I'm not. You just jumped to the same conclusion everyone else did, but you just took eight or so paragraphs to do it.

At the end of the day, what I hate most is being misunderstood. I guess I need a big sign that states where my allegiances lie, as it's very apparent none of you can read between the lines.

Transalation:

Sacasam - sarcasam - "But I'm not" - sarcasm - more sarcasm

At the end of the day, what I hate most is being misunderstood - sarcasm - more sarcasm

Ahhhh yeah - real big mystery why people have trouble understanding your point of view, not to get all Northrop Frye on your ass, but how about putting your intended message into the actual text - who do you think you are ? Yoda of the ecological integretity movement !

Your passion has evolved from admirable to annoying

Transalation:

Sacasam - sarcasam - "But I'm not" - sarcasm - more sarcasm

At the end of the day, what I hate most is being misunderstood - sarcasm - more sarcasm

Ahhhh yeah - real big mystery why people have trouble understanding your point of view, not to get all Northrop Frye on your ass, but how about putting your intended message into the actual text - who do you think you are ? Yoda of the ecological integretity movement !

Your passion has evolved from admirable to annoying

Northrop Frye and Yoda in the same post. Nice.

• 3 weeks later...

1st the National Park is for ME, that is why they where created in the first place. They are there for people to enjoy and i feel that the park should be run first for the citizen and not the animal or the park. That said what is the reason we go to the park to see nature, wildlife and in my case to fish and camp. I also have a great solution for all those elk, let hunters shoot em you could have a draw tag for the locals that include a small window of time to harvest an animal, and you could charge Americans big bucks to take a trophy home.

1st the National Park is for ME, that is why they where created in the first place. They are there for people to enjoy and i feel that the park should be run first for the citizen and not the animal or the park. That said what is the reason we go to the park to see nature, wildlife and in my case to fish and camp. I also have a great solution for all those elk, let hunters shoot em you could have a draw tag for the locals that include a small window of time to harvest an animal, and you could charge Americans big bucks to take a trophy home.

you're mental HAHAHA the parks were not created for YOU, they were in fact created PRESICELY for the animals!!!!! the parks were designed as a refuge for animals that can't be taken away due to forestry and water management. The idea of parks is so that there is a place for wildelife to be wild. It's a place for us to go and appreciate what we have in this beautiful country. If we didn't have all these things rubbed in our noses from time to time, then I'm sure we would start taking it all for granted. I think we should be allowed to fish in the parks just as much as the next guy is allowed to snow shoe and his friend can climb the mountain. It's there and if we ignore it then we'll never know when something is wrong as a few other people have mentioned.

But I would feel the same as this as I do about all other systems in the province, CATCH AND RELEASE ONLY. I can't think of one good reason why anyone should go to the bow river and kill a fish, it's like a bird watcher spying a beatiful blue jay with his binoculars and then shooting it with a pellet gun just before it flies away WTF IS THE POINT!!!!!! We should be able to fish the rivers just as the mountain climbers climb the mountains. but you don't see the mountain climbers filling their backpacks and cars with chunks of rock from the mountain every day when they're done do you "HEY MAN CALL FISH AND FEATHERS, THAT GUY TOOK MORE THEN THE 40 LB MOUNTAIN LIMIT!!!!" it's retarded to think that people actually take fish out of the water, there is no point. Killing a deer is logical, as the populations would go way out of control if they weren't hunted. And a man kills a deer and he's got meat for a year and enough extra to give to his friends. A man goes to the store, spends 150 on a rod, 50 on lures and after couple hundred bucks catches a couple fish? why not just let the fish go, and spend 15 at the grocery store cause i see little rainbows and whitefish in there for 10-30 bucks each. There should be absolutely no harvesting of ANY fish in this province unless from specified stocked lakes.

I want to start some *hit here, when are all the fly fisherman going to band together and start doing something to protect what we love, we're being walked all over by those bait fisherman. How many times do you go down to the river and see a plastic bag with 3 or 4 empty lure boxes sitting on the bank of the river? HOW ****ING HARD IS IT TO PICK UP THE EMPTY BOX!!!!! AND THE BAIT FISHERMAN WHO LEAVE THE STYROFOAM WORM CARTON ON THE BANK OF THE RIVER!!!!!!! IF I CATCH YOU I'M GONNA PUT MY BOOT UP YOUR ASS AND THEN SLASH YOUR TIRES.

When will classified waters come about, and when will there be a zero limit for ALL SPECIES (accept non-native invasive species....). I think we should go rally up somewhere and put down the fishing rods and pick up some protest signs, ZERO FISH LIMIT IN ALBERTA!

you're mental HAHAHA the parks were not created for YOU, they were in fact created PRESICELY for the animals!!!!! the parks were designed as a refuge for animals that can't be taken away due to forestry and water management. The idea of parks is so that there is a place for wildelife to be wild. It's a place for us to go and appreciate what we have in this beautiful country. If we didn't have all these things rubbed in our noses from time to time, then I'm sure we would start taking it all for granted. I think we should be allowed to fish in the parks just as much as the next guy is allowed to snow shoe and his friend can climb the mountain. It's there and if we ignore it then we'll never know when something is wrong as a few other people have mentioned.

But I would feel the same as this as I do about all other systems in the province, CATCH AND RELEASE ONLY. I can't think of one good reason why anyone should go to the bow river and kill a fish, it's like a bird watcher spying a beatiful blue jay with his binoculars and then shooting it with a pellet gun just before it flies away WTF IS THE POINT!!!!!! We should be able to fish the rivers just as the mountain climbers climb the mountains. but you don't see the mountain climbers filling their backpacks and cars with chunks of rock from the mountain every day when they're done do you "HEY MAN CALL FISH AND FEATHERS, THAT GUY TOOK MORE THEN THE 40 LB MOUNTAIN LIMIT!!!!" it's retarded to think that people actually take fish out of the water, there is no point. Killing a deer is logical, as the populations would go way out of control if they weren't hunted. And a man kills a deer and he's got meat for a year and enough extra to give to his friends. A man goes to the store, spends 150 on a rod, 50 on lures and after couple hundred bucks catches a couple fish? why not just let the fish go, and spend 15 at the grocery store cause i see little rainbows and whitefish in there for 10-30 bucks each. There should be absolutely no harvesting of ANY fish in this province unless from specified stocked lakes.

I want to start some *hit here, when are all the fly fisherman going to band together and start doing something to protect what we love, we're being walked all over by those deuche bag bait fisherman. How many times do you go down to the river and see a plastic bag with 3 or 4 empty lure boxes sitting on the bank of the river? HOW ****ING HARD IS IT TO PICK UP THE EMPTY BOX!!!!! AND THE BAIT FISHERMAN WHO LEAVE THE STYROFOAM WORM CARTON ON THE BANK OF THE RIVER!!!!!!! IF I CATCH YOU I'M GONNA PUT MY BOOT UP YOUR ASS AND THEN SLASH YOUR TIRES.

When will classified waters come about, and when will there be a zero limit for ALL SPECIES (accept non-native invasive species....). I think we should go rally up somewhere and put down the fishing rods and pick up some protest signs, ZERO FISH LIMIT IN ALBERTA!

What you wish for is one baby step from eliminating fishing. Do some research then edit your post.

you're mental HAHAHA the parks were not created for YOU, they were in fact created PRESICELY for the animals!!!!! the parks were designed as a refuge for animals that can't be taken away due to forestry and water management.

At best, incomplete, at worst factually wrong. If we're going to continue this debate lets get something quite clear; the parks madate was originally for people's enjoyment AND as a wildlife refugia.

But I would feel the same as this as I do about all other systems in the province, CATCH AND RELEASE ONLY. I can't think of one good reason why anyone should go to the bow river and kill a fish, it's like a bird watcher spying a beatiful blue jay with his binoculars and then shooting it with a pellet gun just before it flies away WTF IS THE POINT!!!!!!

Completely shortsighted Dax. You should try to broaden your perspective; I suggest some of the thoughtful writing by Jim McLennan, who has written some good 'editorials' on C&R being a management tool, instead of a religion. Not every Albertan feels the way you do, nor is it biologically necessary or sound to have blanket C&R. Its not prudent fisheries management practice, and its incredibly naive. People like keeping fish in this province. That's not a bad or evil thing, nor does it have to be unsustainable, if properly managed.

...it's retarded to think that people actually take fish out of the water, there is no point.

There is a point, its called food.

I want to start some *hit here, when are all the fly fisherman going to band together and start doing something to protect what we love, we're being walked all over by those deuche bag bait fisherman. How many times do you go down to the river and see a plastic bag with 3 or 4 empty lure boxes sitting on the bank of the river? HOW ****ING HARD IS IT TO PICK UP THE EMPTY BOX!!!!! AND THE BAIT FISHERMAN WHO LEAVE THE STYROFOAM WORM CARTON ON THE BANK OF THE RIVER!!!!!!! IF I CATCH YOU I'M GONNA PUT MY BOOT UP YOUR ASS AND THEN SLASH YOUR TIRES.

Well, congratulations. And yawn... (And, oh, btw, lots of members here have shared stories about packing out other people's garbage).

Thread about classified waters here:

http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?...p;hl=classified

Anyways Dax, if you wanted to stir up some stuff well, whoopee do. All you've accomplished from my point of view is trot out cliches, stereotypes, and exposed your own ignorance/naivety. Chalk one up for the bait fishermen who think we're composed of elitist snobs, lol.

But if you want to serve as the high priest of C&R, well, fill your boots. :)

Smitty

P.S. If your sole purpose was to troll, well, I'm your huckleberry. Or the dumb 6" stocker...

At best, incomplete, at worst factually wrong. If we're going to continue this debate lets get something quite clear; the parks madate was originally for people's enjoyment AND as a wildlife refugia.

Completely shortsighted Dax. You should try to broaden your perspective; I suggest some of the thoughtful writing by Jim McLennan, who has written some good 'editorials' on C&R being a management tool, instead of a religion. Not every Albertan feels the way you do, nor is it biologically necessary or sound to have blanket C&R. Its not prudent fisheries management practice, and its incredibly naive. People like keeping fish in this province. That's not a bad or evil thing, nor does it have to be unsustainable, if properly managed.

There is a point, its called food.

Well, congratulations. And yawn... (And, oh, btw, lots of members here have shared stories about packing out other people's garbage).

Thread about classified waters here:

http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?...p;hl=classified

Anyways Dax, if you wanted to stir up some stuff well, whoopee do. All you've accomplished from my point of view is trot out cliches, stereotypes, and exposed your own ignorance/naivety. Chalk one up for the bait fishermen who think we're composed of elitist snobs, lol.

But if you want to serve as the high priest of C&R, well, fill your boots. :)

Smitty

P.S. If your sole purpose was to troll, well, I'm your huckleberry. Or the dumb 6" stocker...

what's wrong with being and elitist snob?

I don't believe that our parks are for wildlife refuge, rather a result of the want of the people as they want to go to a nice place and be able to see wild life. I my opion its a balance has to be set, look at the elk problem in banff, i personally feel that you could get a few people to pay big bucks and they would harvest one under the supervision of a park warden (you could charge a lot of money and that would pay the park wardens time) . That said there are Wildlife Refuges where its all about protecting the animals.

I'm glad you got all that off your chest. And I'm glad you think I'm on one side of a proverbial fence. But I'm not. You just jumped to the same conclusion everyone else did, but you just took eight or so paragraphs to do it.

At the end of the day, what I hate most is being misunderstood. I guess I need a big sign that states where my allegiances lie, as it's very apparent none of you can read between the lines.

Unfortunately you do not seem to get that this is your problem not ours. Your belief is that we're 'idiots' because we can't follow your logic or because we don't agree we you....or better yet, because we can't read between the lines. It's your responsibility to make us understand...if you can't do that, that's your problem, not only ours. Work on your communication skills, cause I can't see many people wanting to jump on your bandwagon.

And be careful how much of your 'job' or profession you let out. 'Cause I'm not too sure I'd want you 'representing' my organization.

And the conclusions that I am jumping to are being formed from what you communicated to us.

Of course I dont have time to read through this whole thread, all I can say is -

I FREAKING LOVE THE PARKS. They are my favorite places in the world. I feel blessed every day that I live so close to them and get to visit them so often. I can't imagine ever complaining about them they truly are like heaven to me, not even just heaven on earth. If I could design a heaven for myself it would be something very very similar to all the places Ive been in the parks. My vote would be to keep the parks exactly how they are Ive never once gone to do what I do in the parks and ever had a negative thought about them.

Come to my side you overthoughtful intelligentsia, ignorance is sooooo blissful. I'm so very glad Im oblivious to the whole world's problems (including any the parks might have) when I'm sitting there in front of a huge mountain with a little lake in front and no one around me.... I cant express it enough.... It's Canada, the mountains, my home. Im the luckiest person alive.

• 2 weeks later...

The key words of the National Parks Act are "preserve unimpaired for future generations" so, yes the Parks are partly for you (Nick0danger) as long as what you do doesn't impair them. It would seem from your post that preserving them unimpaired is not high on your list, however. The "Them" also refers to wildlife. It is not a case of the individual deciding what and whom the Parks are for. It was legislated decades ago when the National Park system was created.

Of course I dont have time to read through this whole thread, all I can say is -

I FREAKING LOVE THE PARKS. They are my favorite places in the world. I feel blessed every day that I live so close to them and get to visit them so often. I can't imagine ever complaining about them they truly are like heaven to me, not even just heaven on earth. If I could design a heaven for myself it would be something very very similar to all the places Ive been in the parks. My vote would be to keep the parks exactly how they are Ive never once gone to do what I do in the parks and ever had a negative thought about them.

Come to my side you overthoughtful intelligentsia, ignorance is sooooo blissful. I'm so very glad Im oblivious to the whole world's problems (including any the parks might have) when I'm sitting there in front of a huge mountain with a little lake in front and no one around me.... I cant express it enough.... It's Canada, the mountains, my home. Im the luckiest person alive.

Bang on !

But we need to proactive to maintain your heaven. So it is important to stay on top of issues

to prevent those with an alternative agenda from taking away the things that make the parks our heaven.

• 2 months later...

Daxlarsen,

If you think that the people who spend hundreds of dollars on gear and keep a kill fish are evil, look in the mirror and bang on you are one of them.

Comparing killing fish to birds, I say apples to oranges.

No harvest of any fish except stocked waters = no fishing at all except in stocked waters. Please join PETA, they are looking for people like you

My big problem is you calling bait fisherman your immature names. I love to flyfish, but I grew up bouncing stoneflies and maggots on the upper Bow. Ever fathers day I go fishing with my father and son, we use bait, and we keep some from a mountain lake that is near, not in Banff, like I've been doing since I was 3. Infact, it's one of my favorite trips each year.

Your attitude is what makes fly anglers look bad. If you had a poll on how many anglers use to chuck gear and bait on this site, I'd say high 80 %. Before flly fishing exploded in the 90's that what a high majority of anglers in Alberta did. Also, I invite you to try and put your boot up my 73 year old dad's arse one day. He'd crack it of and feed it to you. If you represent the next generation of fly anglers, our sport is in some serious trouble. Your thoughts are young.

PS When people ask you if you are a fisherman, tell them no, I'm an elistist and yes there is something wrong with that.