Fly Fusion Forums

Senior Licensing? (both Threads Closed And Merged)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then what about seniors discounts and seniors menu's?

Totally different -- that's marketing. If a store or restaurant wants to give a particular group a deal, that's their own business decision to make. Fishing licenses are linked to a public resource and anyone who uses the resource should pay the very small price to get a license. My 2 cents worth. Terry

Guest tallieho

I agree with Terry[$30.00]..The gov't should at the very least reqire a Win Card[yearly]for seniors.How else does the Gov't no the amount of senior fisher's using the resource.B.C is proposing an increase of 6-7% for all fishing licence fees for 2010. bc outdoors oct- nov issue

Totally different -- that's marketing. If a store or restaurant wants to give a particular group a deal, that's their own business decision to make. Fishing licenses are linked to a public resource and anyone who uses the resource should pay the very small price to get a license. My 2 cents worth. Terry

I agree.

The point I was beating around the bush about is what you pay for something soley based on your age is discriminatory.

Oh...guess you have quite a few years to go before you reach the age of 65...huh..and with the mentality shown, you must figure everyone should pay cause you do...huh..What about ALL the $$$$$ that has been paid by those who have reached the age of 65..or all the $$$$$ that the bleeding government has taken off of them...are you so greedy that you begrudge the "Senior Citizens" some "Pay Back"..........boy now I've heard even more than I care to read..............Wolfie

Oh...guess you have quite a few years to go before you reach the age of 65..............

Have another look at the second post on this thread. Remedial reading lessons are available, if only you would ask.

I've had 65 great years, most of them in Alberta. I've paid lots of tax to all levels of government, and guess what? I don't think the government owes me anything just because I've been fortunate enough to live as long as I have. If you fish, you pay. Should seniors have to pay for a drivers license? Making that free to seniors makes just about as much sense. Terry

looks like you got your standing crew on your side again..gee, guess you don't see how you've been abused and raped by ur Albertan government..and that is a sad thing, oh well looks like the corp wins again..hmm..but you are a cowboy, since when have you entered the world of sheep..........

..as far as Seniors driving..guess they can until they lose the ability to either..see or function as everyone else..but then again why let kids drive when more than 50% of the accidents are caused by them..and as far as Seniors fishing more..hell man..most of those ppl are fly fishing purists anyways...u know...'catch and release'.....Wolfie

looks like you got your standing crew on your side again..gee, guess you don't see how you've been abused and raped by ur Albertan government..and that is a sad thing, oh well looks like the corp wins again..hmm..but you are a cowboy, since when have you entered the world of sheep..........

..as far as Seniors driving..guess they can until they lose the ability to either..see or function as everyone else..but then again why let kids drive when more than 50% of the accidents are caused by them..and as far as Seniors fishing more..hell man..most of those ppl are fly fishing purists anyways...u know...'catch and release'.....Wolfie

Wolfie - anyone who has read my posts on the H1N1 thread will know that I'm not "one of Terry's crew". I have to say that i think his points are pretty valid on this one. I don't think seniors should have to pay, but to suggest that he is a corporate raider because he does, makes little sense to me.

As an aside, and I'm not trying to be disrespectful to you, but I often have to read your posts 3 or 4 times to understand what point you are trying to make. Sometimes after three tries I give up. You seem to try and make complex sentences when maybe you could just use simple statements. English does not appear to be your first language so maybe you are translating from a different language and it loses something.

One last point. We have a pretty free country here. If you don't like the government and the people who support the government, why don't you move to a place that suits you better? Thats why I moved here from BC.

Seniors should definately be required to have a licence.

As it stands now there is no requirement for them to even get the regs book.

Charge the Win card fee and 5-10 bucks a year for admin costs.

Under 14 shouldn't have to pay, but only catch and release unless with somebody holding a licence.

I hate to see a family of 5 walk away with 25 trout even though the 3 kids are under 7 years old. That's $60 in licences... now add 4 grandparents and 20 more trout for an extra $0 a year. How is that reasonable? 10 days of fishing the limit is 450 trout for that family unit at only $60 a year. And that can occur how many times over how many years at how many lakes/rivers in Alberta?

No license, no keeping fish. period.

Effective April 1, 2012 seniors will have to buy a license. Trust me. I turn 65 on April 8, 2012. :P

I am with Terry on this one. I will consider it my privilege.

This is not so much as offering seniors a small perk, as it is about keeping track of anglers.

At present, a senior never has to enter a license office and therefore is not offered a new regulation booklet. Regs change. They have no way of knowing.

As for those under 16. Agree with some previous comments. They should not have to "buy" a license as we want to encourage stewardship of rivers and water an anglers (generally) are good at that. So we need new recruits and need to encourage new anglers. But as already stated, they should only be allowed to kill on an adults license OR they should have their own license-- even if it is free. There needs to be some control. A father and four kids should not be allowed five limits. Numerous letters to assorted SRD ministers on this matter have drawn a blank.

But at the end of the day cabinet and SRD is grossly underfunding enforcement. Ya can't win, eh? ;)

As for a "means" test. Only mean old bastards will be able to get a license then? I'm in. ;)

Wow! Talk about an "enforcement"/logistical nightmare!! They don't have enough CO's with the way things are now and the whole system "has gone to pot" (re: enforcement) so adding a different levels of licensing will just make things worse IMHO...

*edit* Keep it simple! if you fish in AB, you require a license! Period!

P

or better still, if you are over 65, you get a discount, if you fly fish you get a differnt rate; if you wish to keep the fish, a differnet rate.

the resource is too valuable to be used for free

The citizens own the resource. We just contract the alberta Government to manage it on our behalf.

Gotta love the sense of entitlement that some seniors have. They are no more entitled than any other citizen.

Not just seniors... I think a lot of "people" in general have the same sense of entitlement!

Also, if this is the way the gov't is handling this resource, it should be like any other "contractual agreement" and we should be able to fire them (for mismanaging it)!!

P

The citizens own the resource. We just contract the alberta Government to manage it on our behalf.

Gotta love the sense of entitlement that some seniors have. They are no more entitled than any other citizen.

Single Season ticket to the Flames $1280.00

Single Season ticket to the Stamps $139.00

Single Seniors Annual Pass to the Calgary Zoo $50.00

Day pass to the Science centre Senior (65+): $10.00

Senior Citizen Transit Passes $35/year

$30+ for a tank of gas to hit the hills fishing

$2.00+ for a fly at a local fly shop

$5+ for a leader

Cake of the month club $42.00 a month

$25.66 for a Sportfishing Licence is a freaking STEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!