Fly Fusion Forums

Summer Photo Spectacular 2009

WesG

Well for newbies that have never seen the summer photo show before. For the last 4 yeasr I have packed up the majority of my fishing gear and left to the Bush of Northern Ontario to guide from around the middle of May till the end of August.

This year however things were alittle different then it previous years. It rained!! and rained and rained. Just after fathers day we had 6' of rain in a 48 hour period. Now this is Canadian Shield so the majority of water runs into the already higher then average lakes. Over the next 48 hours after the rain stopped the lake rose 12". For the next month the lakes continued to rise and flood out any low lying buildings we had. At its highest point the lake was roughly 28" above normal. From May 15th to August 1st we had 31 days of rain. Well I guess you'll see in the pics what I mean.

As far as the fishing went, things were a little different this year. Pike fishing wasn't as steady as it usually is and walleye fishing was good at times, but at others they were downright hard to find. Small mouth fishing was rediculious. I caught the most smallies I have seen in a summer.

Now not all fish in these photos were caught on flies, in fact most weren't, so dont get all offended, but fly fishing just isnt the best way to catch fish out there. Although I did still manage a couple nice northerns just over 40' on the fly rod.

Anyway here are the summers collection of pics.... or at least some of the best ones. Enjoy

There was still snow on the ground the day we left Red Lake, in fact we didint get intot he lodge till 2 days after the original plan as it snowed 12" 2 night before.

IMG023.jpg

The first of many smallies of the year

IMG033.jpg

IMG058.jpg

IMG040.jpg

IMG045.jpg

The waitress caught one of hte biggest fish I saw all summer, this one was 44"

IMG141.jpg

IMG156.jpg

IMG184.jpg

IMG222.jpg

Some crazy Moth, this things was huge!!

IMG241.jpg

IMG288.jpg

Ever seen a blonde Black Bear?

IMG307.jpg

Now like I said the water was rediculiously hig. This is a pic from a couple years ago thats about the normal lake level.

IMG_4552.jpg

These are some pics of what we had to deal with this year

IMG409.jpg

IMG385.jpg

IMG463.jpg

IMG373.jpg

IMG393.jpg

IMG425.jpg

Me with a 40" Northern

IMG457.jpg

IMG533.jpg

IMG557.jpg

IMG578.jpg

Some of you may recall hearing about a Tornado that killed a bunch of Americans on Lac Seul this summer in Ontario. Well we had a bunch of funnel clouds the same night, thank god none were close enough to cause any damage, You could however see them from the Lodge. his was the aftermath.

IMG595.jpg

IMG618.jpg

A few fly rod caught smallies

IMG624.jpg

IMG628.jpg

IMG631.jpg

IMG647.jpg

IMG690.jpg

WesG

Are you back here in LA ?

If so lets hit the Crow or something, and not wait until winter!!

Hey Ray, yeah I'm back, been here since Aug 16th. Finally made it out to fish last weekend for the first time since I've been back. Got to experience the gong show they now call the Castle. Wouldnt take much convincing to get me back out again though, unfortunetly only weekends work for me though.

Awesome shots, WesG. I especially like the macros. What camera/lens do you use for those? The silky flow of the river is also a great capture. Thanks for sharing.

I just have a Canon Rebel XTI. I used a 100mm f2.8 macro for all the macro shots. I am still playing with it though, its tough to get good crisp in focus macro shots.