Fly Fusion Forums

They're @ It Again!!

Taco

One big trout no doubt about it. I think they should have special records for test tube trout. Only a true natural wild trout should count as a world record.

What do you mean test tube trout? Basically the same genetics that swims in the Bow River or for that matter Bullshead

Actually, after 2 years of age they do grow faster(and live longer). Because triploids do not go into full spawning mode(using energy to produce eggs and milt) and using additional energy in competitive territorial defenses, etc, they just carry on eating with few interruptions. All that uninterrupted eating goes into larger size and more body weight. In addition, in lakes where there is no flowing water to actually spawn in, AF3N's (all female triploids) do not go through the stress of absorbing unspawned eggs, which can disrupt feeding and being egg-bound can sometimes cause early death.

j

Heres the facts. Diefenbaker has Rainbow Trout Farms. Dief also had monster ice shelves that broke and cut the nets at the farms, and suddenly you have these monster fish that are alpha predators roaming the lake! Perfect recipe for absolute monster rainbows that will grow unbelievably fast. So yes, they are complete freaks

Heres the facts. Diefenbaker has Rainbow Trout Farms. Dief also had monster ice shelves that broke and cut the nets at the farms, and suddenly you have these monster fish that are alpha predators roaming the lake! Perfect recipe for absolute monster rainbows that will grow unbelievably fast. So yes, they are complete freaks

Fish farm singular and if I remember correctly the big release was well over 10 yrs ago. SERM stocked Dief with almost 500,000 RB fry in 2004 and 100,000 fry in 2005, none since.

Possible they are the survivors from the fish farm. A triploid that vapour-locked on me during release several years ago was identified by a biologist as 11 years old(counting the scale rings under a microscope).

j

i last fished there 3 years ago and we were catching 5 -6 pounders not the numbers that we did in years before that but still enough to make it fun ......so going by that i would say some of those fish are still living and just getting bigger and bigger hhhhhhhhhhmmm whats the chance of getting one of those pigs in with an 8 wght sure would be fun

Fish farm singular and if I remember correctly the big release was well over 10 yrs ago. SERM stocked Dief with almost 500,000 RB fry in 2004 and 100,000 fry in 2005, none since.

You remember incorrectly. The release was in 2000, and biologists have stated that fish could live to 20 years in Dief.

These fish are mutants, and these guys openly admit it's because of the release that they have these fish to catch

Jack, is there any scientific reports where growth rates between diploids and triploids have been quantified? What you stated prior makes sense and was what I previously believed until someone sent me a Master's thesis disputing this view. In this thesis the results showed there was not a significant difference in growth rates given similar growing conditions. I believe the study said that triploids may live longer ( and therefore grow to a larger end size), but the actual rate of growth was no different from diploids.

Here in Alberta we can watch how fast the triploids grow in Bullshead to see if they are any larger after year three and four (if they don't get bonked). It will be interesting to see.

You remember incorrectly. The release was in 2000, and biologists have stated that fish could live to 20 years in Dief.

These fish are mutants, and these guys openly admit it's because of the release that they have these fish to catch

I stand corrected, Thanks.

I have some familiarity with agricultural breeding programs. The fish farm rainbows would be bred and reared for growth but in reality so are the government hatchery fish, ie; the fish in Five Mile. Only thing freakish would be the the highly fertile lake they're in. I'll say one thing for certain, those boys have got the big fish dialed in.

Jay Jonah Jameson,

For the number of times I've looked at your signature, I believe the word you're looking for is "Formerly".

What do you figure they used to bonk that - an aluminum bat or a railway tie - maybe they had to drive over it with a truck - ....sorry in advance- waiting for a meeting at 1 then going to a lovely little alpine with the belly - going nuts waiting..... expect more pointless posts today I guess ....

What do you figure they used to bonk that - an aluminum bat or a railway tie - maybe they had to drive over it with a truck - ....sorry in advance- waiting for a meeting at 1 then going to a lovely little alpine with the belly - going nuts waiting..... expect more pointless posts today I guess ....

Too bad they killed it. They could have caught it next year and broken their record again.