Fly Fusion Forums

They're @ It Again!!

Taco

Jack, is there any scientific reports where growth rates between diploids and triploids have been quantified? What you stated prior makes sense and was what I previously believed until someone sent me a Master's thesis disputing this view. In this thesis the results showed there was not a significant difference in growth rates given similar growing conditions. I believe the study said that triploids may live longer ( and therefore grow to a larger end size), but the actual rate of growth was no different from diploids.

Here in Alberta we can watch how fast the triploids grow in Bullshead to see if they are any larger after year three and four (if they don't get bonked). It will be interesting to see.

I can only relate back to the information shared by some guy at the other end of the boat, who has 32 years experience playing with triploids in the lakes of BC and Thompson/Nicola in particular. :)

Now, does a master's thesis trump on the water studies and experience? Who knows? I know the "guy at the other end of the boat" has never had a closed mind, so I will ask him for any "updates" to his perceptions. Forest lake is cooling off, rather nicely, so I expect him in my driveway within a couple of weeks.

j

I guess Brian might have a clue what is going on :) . It's true one study doesn't mean that much. It was just interesting to hear a different story from someone.

Hope you get into some 15lbers+ with your retired buddy. I'll have to make the long drive out your way some time.

I'm off to chase antelope with the bow next week.

Have fun, Rob

I'm not sure that genetics and being mutants or the fertility of the lake etc. has as much to do with the size of the fish as does where it was caught.

It might have something to do with the fact that these guys are catching these fish reeaally close to the fish farm holding pens.

If they're just swimming around under the pens eating chemically enhanced food they probably grow at a very fast rate.

My $.02

BK

I guess Brian might have a clue what is going on :) . It's true one study doesn't mean that much. It was just interesting to hear a different story from someone.

Hope you get into some 15lbers+ with your retired buddy. I'll have to make the long drive out your way some time.

I'm off to chase antelope with the bow next week.

Have fun, Rob

The explanation/qualification. Just got off the phone from "da guy....".

Up to 2 1/2 years, triploids will grow slower than diploids. After diploids mature, the triploids soon outstrip them in growth rates and size for the reason I've stated in my prior post, however this only happens in very productive water that produces a rich supply of aquatic food for the triploids. In unproductive or lessor productive lakes, triploids tend to become snake-shaped and do not noticeably out grow the diploids in the same water. The masters' thesis study was done with no increase in available food for diploids or triploids.

j

the real question is whether or not the rainbows (not the mutants cuz i doubt they would be) are catchable with fly gear? are there rising fish to cast too? hatches? and where in the heck on that giant lake would you even start looking for rainbows? as i recall it's deep too so i wonder about the whole FF possibility.

caught pike in that lake growing up not far from the dam and learned to water ski on it but never really did much fishing on it otherwise.