Fly Fusion Forums

Potm September 09 Official Entries

Flytyer

This is the place to enter your photos.

The theme for this month is headshots/closeups. Subjects fish or angler or other type of subject encountered along the water. If submitting photo of a person other than your self you must have permission to use the photo as it will be posted in a public place.

1st place winner will receive a 1 yr magazine subscription from the contest sponsor; http://www.flyfusionmag.com

Don't forget:

You retain all rights to your photos, but by submitting, they are agreeing to let us use it on the website.

Submissions are open to all FFC members in good standing.

You must submit a short write up about your image, eg; what you like about it, how it may inspire you …..that sort of thing 50-100 words (required for use in a monthly article for the site)

Do not disclose locations for lesser known or sensitive waters.

Deadline: Sept. 30

Winners will be announced first week of October.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I think I will start things off with this one:

Reward

006.jpg

The best thing I remeber about this photo was that gregg had dragged my ass out of bed all whinning and we went down to this strech and I remeber looking at the water and saying to myself, yeah like there is any fish in this strech. Low and behold we had a steller day with many big fish to hand.

And to raise the standards I'll Also show this one:

Say Chesse

IMG_2575.jpg

This photo always brings a laugh, cause I went out with ed and brain and we went down to a pretty good wintering hole and absoultly slayed them, ed got in touble cause he was like 5 hours late getting home, and brain was stuck on the number 13, laughing all day it was well worth it.

This spring, I made my first attempt to catch walleye on a fly rod. As it turned out, it was ridiculously easy at this particular Southern Alberta Reservoir; they readily attacked a wide variety of streamers. It became a game, trying to find a streamer they WOULDN'T eat; I couldn't find one!

I then decided to try a shrimp pattern under an indicator (the water was teeming with scuds), & caught this little walleye.

I love the detail in the picture; if you look closely, you can see the reflection of the lake & sky. If you ever wondered what the world looks like in the eyes of a fish, now you know!

"FISH EYE VIEW"

p5280243.jpg

Tricked!

2ljpd77.jpg

This fish was after a super long day of walking on new water... and not catching a thing. Kinda had the next bend syndrome and finally came to a good slow pool with some fast chop rollin in the at the head. Tied on a big tip and streamer i thought looked tasty. First cast was to the other bank at the top o' the pool. Gave it a few twitches and let it sink. Felt it bottom bouncing and all of a sudden it was stuck! First Alberta shark!

Well I'm going to post a pic of a cutty head shot but my photo won't be up for any prizes since I am one of the voters LOL

Anyway this is a pic of a nice Cutty I caught up in the high country on one of my fav runs. This year they have been super selective but that just makes the reward that much better.

Cuttytime019.jpg

Although I've had a waterproof camera for a few years now, I've not had much luck at getting decent underwater fish photos. This is partly because I fish by myself a lot. Even when I have been with someone, it seems the lighting is never right, the water is not clear, or the fish is out of focus or not in the frame. However, the theme for this month's POTM turned out to be perfect, because this past weekend, I finally got a shot that turned out not too bad. I was out with my son David, and he caught this beautiful cutty on a CW stream in BC.

2600.jpg

Of course the photo is special because it is a permanent reminder of the great time David and I had fishing together that day. However, it is truly special for another reason. On the same date in August, I was fishing the exact same spot with a good friend from Edmonton, and you guessed it -- I caught what I'm sure is the same fish. The following shows pictures from both days, and I have marked a few spot patterns that have convinced me it is the same fish. Although I expect that fish will be watching for me on October 19, I think he deserves a rest, so I'll find something else to do that day :lol:. Terry

same-cutty-marked.jpg

Although I don't wish to enter the contest, I thought I would share my quest for Alberta sport fish head shots anyways...As you can see I have bunch more to go.

Pike:

P5310438_edited-1.jpg

Brook Trout:

P7020525_edited-1.jpg

Cutthroat Trout:

PA270010.jpg

Brown Trout:

P5100387_edited-1TEXTcopy.jpg

Bull Trout:

P9181227_edited-1.jpg

Here are a couple more from today.

I woke up today feeling sick and terrible. The only thing I could think of that might put a smile on my face was getting a line in the water. I had a great day that helped me forget about life's ills...for just a little while...

DSCF2665.jpg

This fish was pushing 20" and is my personal best Cutthroat to date. It put up one hell of a fight on my Scott 3 wt and my reel shrieked as line was taken. It was an exhilarating moment and an honour to get to release this trout to be caught again some other day.

DSCF2675.jpg

Here's one that's a little different. Noticed this guy as I kicked towards shore after a long day in the belly boat. I watched for a few minutes to see if he was gonna proceed with lunch, but he did not seem interested in the fly. I snapped a few shots and left him to enjoy his meal in privacy.

froggyandfly.jpg

froggyandfly22.jpg

june2004.jpg

I like this photo because it is from one of my favorite spots on the bow river that requires a little bit of walking but often reward with a few decent fish. This picture is also a reminder of what its like on those summer night when dusk is comming and those browns start feeding. oh yeah and who dosent love the double header!

june2004.jpg

I like this photo because it is from one of my favorite spots on the bow river that requires a little bit of walking but often reward with a few decent fish. This picture is also a reminder of what its like on those summer night when dusk is comming and those browns start feeding. oh yeah and who dosent love the double header!

HEHEHEHE the photo looks like papa brown and his little off spring.

I like this brown because it's the result of a lot of hard work and fish less days trying to figure out a river that doesn't have a big population of trout. I was using a different approach and techniques, which resulted in catching this brown. It was cool to use a number of people's advise, put it all together for yourself and have success. As I was floating before I got to this spot, I was thinking about something that I had read about how to approach spots differently. Don't take the easy path and fish from the spots that most everyone would logically fish from. I got this guy by fishing the side of the river that people don't want to fish from, about 5 feet from my feet . The sight of him coming up, that close to me, smashing my streamer is something I won't ever forget.

The best thing about these pictures is, it reminds me about how happy my father was when he netted it for me. The only thing that would have made it a better day, is if I was netting it for him.

P1090119sfps-1.jpg

P1090107ps.jpg

post-2192-1254284013.jpg

A very cold day and snow that turn out to be rewarding , and fun . wasn't easy fishing but they were all a good size. A nice cutty about to be released back into the water, after a good fight . was about 17". Its always good to get out and fish for a day in k country .

post-2192-1254283907.jpg

It started with a early wake up at 5:00, the earliest we have woken up to fish yet. After our timmy's stop we hit the road. We hiked into our destination and arrived there at about 9. It was chilly and cold , only about 3 degrees . we had chunks of ice on the tips of our rods. Al least the weather was better than the previous weekend with snow and rain. I love the picture because it shows deep red color in the fish. I turned out to be a rewarding day in the mountains. We left at 2 to make it back to the city for my hockey try-outs.

For the chunky bow pic,

I was heading down for a couple hours of fishing after work on a wednesday afternoon in August to my usual spot. I figured I'd stop in at my favorite shop for a quick BS session and maybe a few flies, when I somehow got convinced to demo out a new Loop Multi 7 weight 2 hand rod. No idea how to even cast one, I was floundering around, launching epic 35 foot casts (sarcasm) right in front of me with a bow river bugger on the end. After messing around (windy as anything which wasn't helping me) for around an hour I noticed a persistant riser inside a seem around 75 yards downstream of me. Not sue of how to react to this with the spey, but a window licker when it comes to risers, I immediately exited the water for a better look. I noticed that the fish was large and non-discriminantly inhaling size 14 caddis. Not sure how to present anything subtle with the tool at hand in the wind, I tied on the floatinest caddis I had (a 14 goddard). I cast slightly upstream and just beyond the 'bow at a 70 degree angle, threw a big old mend and let 'er swing. Right at the heart of the swing this beauty smacked that goddard and took me for a ride. Never fished the spey before, but that sucker got broken in. Perhaps not the largest, but certainly the most beautiful rainbow of the season for me.

post-1913-1254318522.jpg