Fly Fusion Forums

Touring The Backcountry With A Dutchman And A Texan

I did the small stream cuttie thing with Taco yesterday. He was leading me on a quest for pure strain cutties in tiny water, and water not so tiny. In our travels for these elusive fish we did a ton of driving and a not insignificant amount of fishing. The fishing was slow at times, ok at others, and really good for a spell late in the afternoon.

Just before our first stop on a tiny little creek, we drove past a pretty big group of random campers complete with dirt bikes and ATVs. Most of the time we were fishing I think we could hear them. I say think because I actually don't pay much attention to them. They seemed to be sticking to the trails, particularly the 10 yr old girl with the pink helmet. The reality for me is if they don't run me over when I'm fishing, I probably won't notice them. Long as they are following the rules, they have as much right to be there as I have.

Next stop was about an hour drive to the trunk road area, then a 1/2 hour drive up a stupid rough goat trail Taco called a "good road". I shudder to think what a "bad road" would look like. Just before we reach our destination (thanks for the email by the way FHD, the creek is still very nice!), I see the glint of a vehicle parked right where we were heading. Turns out to be 2 vehicles and a big ass hunting tent. We park and there are 3 young men around the campfire, and we see a couple of spin rods and one fly rod. We mosey over expecting no shirts, tobacco stains, missing teeth, fish carcasses, oversized treble hooks, and drool (but we thought one guy might be presentable-you know, the fly fisherman), but were quite surprised to find a clean campsite, no carcasses and 3 pretty polite guys. Don't think they were all that thrilled to see us, but if I had taken the effort to set up where they were, I wouldn't have been all that thrilled to see us either. They said they had fished upstream that day and had no problem with us going downstream.

So downstream we went into some of the most gorgeous canyon water I've ever fished. Fishing started slow and got better. Plenty of fish and lots of laughs. If you ever have a chance to fish with a big ass dutch guy, I recommend it. Just don't let him have any pools first.

When we got back to the unlocked truck, we found the campsite was gone and the spin guys didn't steal anything! Guess they are not all bad. The campsite was immaculate.

So to recap, we saw most everything of what is supposed to be wrong in this province (we did see some oil wells, but no oil sands so I guess we didn't see absolutely everything that is wrong). All we had was fun fishing some of the most beautiful country imaginable. Not that much of a surprise that other people, even people without a fly rod, want to enjoy it as well. But I did get mad a few times-at my total inability to land a dry fly fish. I think I even cussed once.

Anyway, get out and enjoy. I sure did.

:picsplease:

Great post, despite the lack of pics; maybe next time you should bring me along- I almost never leave my camera home.

Then your story could start out like this: "A Dutchman, a Texan, & a Newfie walk into a random campsite..." :thumbup:

Imagine the possibilities...

Dude, it was LOUD. I think I scared Taco. I had lost 3 or 4 in a row and a couple of them pretty nice. I was fishing a pool with a back-eddy across the creek from me. So I'm holding my arm straight out trying to keep all the line off the water while my #18 (stupid small fly for cutties, but they weren't being all that cooperative) comparadun drifts around. I was REALLY happy with the drift when a big cuttie comes up and just slams it. Hookset, 5 seconds of pull, then off. A really big damnit (or maybe something else, don't remember) comes out of my mouth, and I see Taco whip around. I think he thought I had fallen off a cliff or something!!