Fly Fusion Forums

Need To Buy A Rod

Hey all,some how my 4 peace 3wt turned into a 5 peace last weekend (don't ask).So i am short a rod for the fall season.Looking for any kind as long as its 9' 3-6 WT looking to spend under 300

I thought this would be easier rather then PM all the old listings.

PM me with what you got, I'm going next weekend for 5 days need it before then.

Thanks

Loop loop loop this seems to be a new trend on the board since the sponsors were in town, wonder why? Have you tried the Hardy Demon? the Sage Flight, or G-loomis? All nice rods, available in a four piece.

It has nothing to do with the sponser beeing in town, I have personally been using nothing but Loop rods for the last year and a half and many others are the same.

Personally I use the loop Multi's and the GASS cause in my own opion they best suit my own personal likes, and if I like something and someone asks what they should buy it is just natural that I would recommenxd something that I have used personally.

Careful Matt, by diss'in Loop, you might just get your post removed like mine was (even though I wasn't diss'in Loop)!! ;) LoL

Loop loop loop this seems to be a new trend on the board since the sponsors were in town, wonder why? Have you tried the Hardy Demon? the Sage Flight, or G-loomis? All nice rods, available in a four piece.

Rushing into buying a fly rod is absolutely the worst thing to do. Going away for a week? Borrow one for the week! Buy a rod that "fits" you, not what the name on the shaft says or what someone in a store, with a vested interest in any "brand" has to say. Take the time to put a line on something, cast it, feel how it loads and recovers with you casting it. Having a rod that "doesn't fit", makes casting feel like work, which fly fishing isn't supposed to be.

j

Rushing into buying a fly rod is absolutely the worst thing to do. Going away for a week? Borrow one for the week! Buy a rod that "fits" you, not what the name on the shaft says or what someone in a store, with a vested interest in any "brand" has to say. Take the time to put a line on something, cast it, feel how it loads and recovers with you casting it. Having a rod that "doesn't fit", makes casting feel like work, which fly fishing isn't supposed to be.

j

Couldn't agree with you more on that Jack, Hence why I told mike when we get out this week to try out mine, and also why Max also told Mike to stop by Southbow to try out the adventure series rod.

Loop is not a sponcer on this site!!!! SouthBow is and they carry Loop.

The way I see it is that a lot of guys are pushing Loop but I'm not hearing anything bad about there products.

The question was about a rod under $300.00 so TREEHUGGER (if that's your real name <--poke--< ) can you get the rods you mentioned for under $300.00cdn ???

I think that info would be a lot better and more productive.

I got the impression that the OP was looking for recommendations as a starting point for rods to try in the limited time he had before leaving. Anyone is free to post a recommendation or let him know about a rod they have for sale in the trading post. Are you implying that he doesn't have the free will to make his own determination in the end and will only choose based upon how many posts there are in the thread for a specific brand?

Anyhow, Jack makes an excellent point. Since you don't have a lot of time before you leave to really cast a few different rods, why not see if one of the local shops or site sponsors will let you take a demo rod on an extended test drive for your trip?

is it now my understanding that ppl here in this forum can only recommend the products that come from the sponsors of this forum...QuestionGold.gif...because that is not good business to any sponsor, although I know that sometimes what is good for the goose..isn't always good for the gander............Wolfie

what is wrong with loop? its a rod that is finally carried in town and people are diggin them.. they are top notch in any price range they sell and definetly compare and out perform alot of the other rods out there... mad because too some your brand isnt there favorite? the hardy demon is nice but the tip section is a big weakpoint.. ive heard of over a dozen rods sold so far that have busted in teh first few trips.. sage flight has cheap components, loomis has a few stick that are not too bad in teh higher range but most of them are a more traditional flex from what i have seen... i like one or two stick out of each rod maker because i like a feel too em! but hands down loop in my eyes rocks all else! they were the only manufacturer i wanted too rep! and im stoked a flyshop finally picked em up!!!!!!!! some people like sage. loomis, tfo etc.. but they obviously havnt stepped up n posted so why give a f*ck what others think? have u cast any loops? they are the worlds best kept secret!

Well, for the price range you are talking about the Loops would be a great choice, but, for a bit more money I really dig my Loomis GLX, so there. Max I will step up and say that although I have casted some great Loops, that I would be fully behind, I fish with an XP for my main Bow stick and love it. As far as a heavier rod goes, there is nothing i'd rather cast than an 8 weight 10 foot 2 peice Loomis GLX. She's a beaut. I suppose this is a bit outside of the range of what Tungsten is looking for, but if we're looking for someone to vouch for Sage and Loomis, I will. I think these are rods that can speak for themselves...

is it now my understanding that ppl here in this forum can only recommend the products that come from the sponsors of this forum...QuestionGold.gif...because that is not good business to any sponsor, although I know that sometimes what is good for the goose..isn't always good for the gander............Wolfie

NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!

There's tonnes of opionions on all brands of rods...do a search on some other sites and you will find threads against Loop...just like any rod out there!

Do what is best for you...try some rods in your price range, with the line you're going to use. I've used/owned rods from many companies and there's not many Dogs out there.

It's nice to have a cool label on your rod to show off to buddies (that's why many of us are gear collectors), but you have to like using the rod to make sure it gets out of the truck. Bling is good...just like in a bar, you don't notice a girls personality from across the room.

So I guess I'm just trying to reiterate what was stated before. Go cast the rod and try to imitate the conditions you will use it under...let that and cost, etc. make your decision.

Animation1-2.gif...all he said and ..Taco....take your boots out of all that ..poop..that's on ur land when you are testing the "graphite" rods...thHEHE.gif...

BigBowTrout..Oh..well it seems that way while reading this thread, everyone of us has their own opinion..correct..then are we not suppose to be able to encourage others with what works well for us, I mean all my rods that I own are GLoomis but from his time when he first started and there wasn't a manufacture around in those days that could hold a candle to his creations, that is from my ultra light flea spinning rods, bait casting muskie rods/and bass rods to my noodle rod , and my fly rod to my 14'er, but because of so many well informed members who gave me their likes and dislikes, I chose to see for myself and purchased out side of my comfort zone..but the manufacture of my new rod is NOT a sponsor to this forum...big deal..it just happened to be at a place [which is a sponsor] that I got it from that's all and that also applies to the great fly line that was encouraged by a poll here in this forum......Wolfie

Hey all,thanks for keeping me in the LOOP and offering some SAGE advice.I was a little TFO'ed that no one offered a Z Axis for that price.Anyhow,I'm meeting with a guy from ST CROIX who lives on LOOMIS street and has an ORVIS rod for the right price.

Thanks for the responses,

WINSTON REDINGTON.

LMFAO!! :)

Nicely done Mike, nicely done!!

P

Hey all,thanks for keeping me in the LOOP and offering some SAGE advice.I was a little TFO'ed that no one offered a Z Axis for that price.Anyhow,I'm meeting with a guy from ST CROIX who lives on LOOMIS street and has an ORVIS rod for the right price.

Thanks for the responses,

WINSTON REDINGTON.