Fly Fusion Forums

Pike Landing Net

jack

Yup, cradle is what you want.

And a set of needle-nose pliers with really long handles. Used to play with those things in an earlier life and have the scars to prove they don't take lightly to anyone messing around in their mouth... :(

Main lander...fished Pike and Muskie with a fly rod back in Ontario many times, just stick ur thumb and first finger into their eye sockets..the pressure, you need to hold them will temporarily stun them long enough to get the hook out of them..this will not cause damage to them...................Wolfie

Guest rickleblanc

Wolfie, I'm pretty sure picking them up by the eye sockets blinds them. I read a report from Germany where they wanted to test the impact on the feeding habits of pike, and that was found to be the cheapest, quickest, and easiest way to blind a pike. It's worth mentioning that they found that due to the pike's extraordinary lateral line, feeding was unaffected. Over the years I've caught a few blind pike, and I always figured the cause was improper handling.

Of course, that's all conjecture and second-hand knowledge.

Rick

Main lander...fished Pike and Muskie with a fly rod back in Ontario many times, just stick ur thumb and first finger into their eye sockets..the pressure, you need to hold them will temporarily stun them long enough to get the hook out of them..this will not cause damage to them...................Wolfie

Easily the dumbest post ever made on this forum. What a horrible inaccurate statement, of course that does damage to them. Let me pick you up by the eyes and we'll see how that feels. Hope you didnt lead someone into following your footsteps, what an idiotic post.

Easily the dumbest post ever made on this forum. What a horrible inaccurate statement, of course that does damage to them. Let me pick you up by the eyes and we'll see how that feels. Hope you didnt lead someone into following your footsteps, what an idiotic post.

Oh...u think it is idiotic do you..well let me tell you something lad..considering that Mr. Esox has a will of it's own and will attack out of pure hell, the only way to calm it down was to do as i wrote..the pressure that it takes for you to hold it, is enough to stun it..it is like putting you into a sleeper hold but letting you up just before you black out..besides...considering we do not know each other and more than like will not, but to calm ur bleeding heart down, my statement was given in jest to a fellow BC'er..which undoubtedly went over your head............Wolfie

Wolfie, I'm pretty sure picking them up by the eye sockets blinds them. I read a report from Germany where they wanted to test the impact on the feeding habits of pike, and that was found to be the cheapest, quickest, and easiest way to blind a pike. It's worth mentioning that they found that due to the pike's extraordinary lateral line, feeding was unaffected. Over the years I've caught a few blind pike, and I always figured the cause was improper handling.

Of course, that's all conjecture and second-hand knowledge.

Rick

yes...you are correct on that, it was tested here in Canada as well with the German fisheries way back when, both worked together on certain things pertaining to Esox, but as I said only the amount of pressure it took to hold them was enough to stun them, any excess pressure may and I believe did cause premature blindness. Yet the feeding habits was not altered, since the time that this method was done was well over 30 years ago and ppl now have taken the learning steps to be more aware of how handling should be done as to Not to impose abuse to any fish or animal................Wolfie

I can't believe everyone actually knew I was joking about the gaffe hook? Not one post here about how horrible a gaffe hook is. To be honnest I am a little dissappointed :(

hell don't be treehugger..the shot was at me , maybe cause you used to be "Iceman2"..and ppl are afraid of you..."ice picking a guy in the joint"..how original is that?...lol-2.gif...but...I knew you were joking cause I didn't see and fish scales on it................Wolfie

• 2 weeks later...
just tail the god damn buggers, who cares if you lose half your blood count.

i do allot of pike fishing out of my pontoon boat, i use a cheap canyon creek (i think) it was 20 or 30? at Canadian tire, the handle is 40 inches and you can get a 40 inch fish in the net if you get it head first. i find its a quick way to land a fish pike get very tired and its important to landed them quickly

better be careful here, it is trout net but they only go in head first and they do not end up folded in half