Fly Fusion Forums

Karma Creek...

SteveM

I wasn't able to round up any of the usual suspects to go fishing with this weekend. Was supposed to go Friday morning straight from work, but found out Thursday night that my buddy was gonna work overtime instead. Spent the day playing taxi driver for my kid & her friend, instead. Tried to make plans for Saturday, but nothing worked out. Hung out with the wife & kid, & we planned to go somewhere on Sunday. Around 3 o'clock in the afternoon, I got the bright idea to take the neighbors' 10-year old boy & my 12 year-old daughter to fish for brook trout @ the same creek where I caught a bunch last week. Thought it would be neat if Josh's first exposure to fly fishing was catching some on a dry fly. I took along an ulta-lite spin cast for him as well. My daughter, Rebecca, decided she would be the official camera-person for our trek; she took all of the pics that follow except for the ones of her (she did a great job, too).

Josh & Becca @ the creek...

p8080668.jpg

Me, prospecting for brookies; creek was high, dirty, fast, & cold!

p8080665.jpg

Me & my kid...

p8080673.jpg

Just like her Daddy, Becca took a bunch of flower pics...

p8080671.jpg

p8080677.jpg

p8080690.jpg

She also took this shot...

p8080706.jpg

Got a couple tiny brookies, but fishing was sloooowww, & the creek crossings were a little tough for the kids, so we didn't stay long.

p8080675.jpg

Decided to make a stop on the way home; Becca took this shot while I was tying on a new spinner for Josh...

p8080718.jpg

Only hooked one fish, on a yellow Copper John-type nymph under a Chernobyl Ant; only took a couple seconds to realize it was a biggun!

Putting the 6ft 2wt TFO to the test...

p8080730.jpg

Really didn't think I was gonna land this one. Had to put the boots to him to keep him from getting down to the fast water & the big rocks & stumps in the pool below. When I did get him in close, I could see that my tippet was all snarled & knotted around the Chernobyl Ant; thought for sure he'd break me off. Of course, my cradle was sitting in the trunk of the car...

p8080738.jpg

Got him!

p8080739.jpg

I think it's fairly obvious that I'm stoked in this pic!

25" brown trout (taped)...

p8080742.jpg

Becca was like a fly fisherman paparazzi; I couldn't believe how many pics she got while I was landing & reviving this trout.

She got some good ones, too...

p8080746.jpg

p8080749.jpg

p8080756.jpg

This shot is my fave...

p8080752.jpg

I think Becca was nearly as excited as her Dad about this hawg; I got an unsolicited 'fist-bump' afterwards, & she insisted on releasing him...

p8080759.jpg

p8080758.jpg

Back from whence he came...

p8080760.jpg

One more shot before heading home...pic by Josh

p8080764.jpg

It turned out to be a great evening; not exactly what I had planned! That bruiser brown is a far cry from the tiny brook trout I thought we'd be catching. I like to think it was karma's reward for taking a kid fishing!

Peace out!

Steve

Guest girlsfishtoo

Beauty Brown! Great shots of that hawg! Becca did an awesome job on all the pictures. Wonderful pic of you and Becca too. Thanks for sharing.

Guest Jeremie

beautiful pics! Your daughter sure knows how to take pictures! I am currently using the close up shot as my background!

Nice work!

Thanks for the kind comments, friends!

Catching that hawg on my 2wt was an experience I'll never forget; having my daughter there to capture it on camera just put it over the top!

Now to address a few of the comments...

Jeremie: You will be hearing from Becca's lawyers regarding your using her photo without permission! motz

Just kiddin', of course; she'll be proud to hear you liked it enough to use it. :thumbup:

Rickr: I told Becca that you were mad about us fishing "your water"; she cried herself to sleep, thinking that we're not allowed back there anymore.

I hope you're proud of yourself, Tex!!!!

Troutlover: Just for the record, Becca took all of the flower pics in this post. Kinda funny, 'cuz she's been bugging me about taking pics of flowers;

on Facebook, my sweet little daughter left this comment after an album with a bunch of my flower pics, " Nice flower pics,

Dad! *cough*fruit*cough*" LMAO!

Hawgstoppah: Thanks a lot; is there a cash prize that goes with that "Post of the year award"? :whoot:

Thanks again, everyone; I'm happy to be able to share this with people who appreciate how special this was to me!

Peace out!

Steve

always just behind the great pics....grrr..please inform ur daughter that I to scoped not one but two of her pics..they were all great...oh ya...about that sardine u planted on ur 2wt...as Max said...Karma..no less...great brownie m8.............Wolfie

i dont post on here much but i must add my 2 cents.................You make every father out there that does not spend enough quality time with there kids envious, I have had a grin like that everytime i go out with my girls no matter if we catch anything or not..........Its the time spent that will last a lifetime. You better print those pics and have them framed on the wall.

congrats

i dont post on here much but i must add my 2 cents.................You make every father out there that does not spend enough quality time with there kids envious, I have had a grin like that everytime i go out with my girls no matter if we catch anything or not..........Its the time spent that will last a lifetime. You better print those pics and have them framed on the wall.

congrats

great post...Kev..I don't have little ladies but a couple of boys, who would rather make big $$$$, than to fish with their dad, and so, after reading this post you can say that I'm quite envious of anyone who has the company of their children on day sucking in nature...............Wolfie

Thanks for the kind words, y'all!

I figure I'd better spend as much time as I can with Becca before it's too late; she'll be 13 in a couple months, & I'm sure it won't be long

before it's way uncool to hang with the old man! :(