Fly Fusion Forums

Ducks On The Pond.....

Speaking of which - I wonder what it does take to get the maximum $300,000 fine and 6 months in jail? What would you have to do? I'd bet that has never been given out, nor ever will. So what's the point. The courts and system are the joke here.

I heard that the max for this ooffense was a million in fines and 3yrs in prison.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LynnF..

But manning up? I dunno...they're just doing damage control now - apologize and seem all remorseful so that the reporters have nothing left to sensationalize and all this goes away - they know how it works. Call me a cynic.

...damn straight..came across the news channel early yesterday morning that their 'Father' was pleading to be lenient, because they came from Ontario, and they never saw 'ducks' before but have pigeons and sea gulls there...duh-ani.gif..

..Flytyer..

Speaking of which - I wonder what it does take to get the maximum $300,000 fine and 6 months in jail? What would you have to do? I'd bet that has never been given out, nor ever will. So what's the point. The courts and system are the joke here.

..the most I've ever heard of came out of Ontario, years ago ..a group of Ohio boys were fishing for walleyes up in northern Ontario, and got caught with a huge amount of fillets, that had NO skin attached to them [to show the specie of fish], which they claimed as 'pike not walleye', but at that time the F/G were out to make an example of these boys..they took their two planes..all fishing gear..fined them I believe to be in the sum of $10,000 each, which came out to be $60,000 in fines , plus the value of those two Cessnas at that time and sent them home by bus!..I totally agree that the courts...or is it the wusses we have as judges these day, who are afraid to exercise the rights of the laws that have been made to prevent this kind of crap from happening again [oh it will, U'll see]..or are the afraid to step on someone's toes.............................Wolfie

What exactly does being from Ontario have to do with it?

I suppose for retaliation for all the alberta redneck cracks around this place <--poke--< but then again my Raph Kleinish attitude may have something to do with the fact I had 4 Calgary Housing Authority administered subsidized housing units across the street from me, partying, workin the system, dealin a little wacky and all the vehicles have or had Ontario plates :goodvsevil():

HOLY CRAP! I can't believe I didn't read this before. I cannot believe the response to the judge was simply "I didn't know you couldn't shoot migratory birds out of season" noting to do with the value of an animals life, I really don't think these guys get it.

So what would be a fine that would satisfy the masses here? They have been publicly humiliated (rightfully so), fined a total of $16,000 (and I don't know about the majority here, but a 5K fine would HURT about right now), had their licenses revoked for 3 yrs (I think that is light, would have thought 5 or 10), and had their weapons confiscated.

So what if the max is 300K? (which would be close to 1 million if applied to all 3). That number is insane in this case. What would have been fair 10K? 100K? Maybe we could have drawn and quartered them? Eviscerated?

Personally, I think the sentences were on the light side, but no outrageously so. This case also showed that outrage from the resource users themselves can play a part in the apprehension of these guys, not to mention massive amounts of press coverage. Isn't that enough for everyone, or are we just looking for our pound of flesh? I know I said in the beginning that I hoped there was a "special place in hell" for these guys, so I was possibly a bit over the top in my condemnation as well.

And who is to say they haven't learned their lesson? And of course they were hoping for leniency. If it had been my kid, I would have kicked his little butt in private and pleaded for leniency in public-just like any father.

Sorry for the rant. I'm righteously indignant about the righteous indignation around here!

Guest Sundancefisher

I thought the penalties and the public humiliation not without some impact on these guys... Small town guys with families probably don't have $5,000 burning a hole in their pants. I suspect the wives are beating the crap out of them now for ruining Christmas and the next few years of vacation.

As for the Ontario crack:yoda:...just hoping to tease them easterners into a squabble :angel:smail: No offense intended other that just <--poke--< ing our eastern cousins...

Cheers

HOLY CRAP! I can't believe I didn't read this before. I cannot believe the response to the judge was simply "I didn't know you couldn't shoot migratory birds out of season" noting to do with the value of an animals life, I really don't think these guys get it.

Please do not forget that in our chosen sport we know damn well that we kill some percentage of the fish we catch each year. At the end of the day, we kill trout for fun. To many, what does that say about our "value of an animals life"? Like Rusty said in his post, many people see very little, if any, difference in what those guys did and what we do. I know that we are all fishing within the regulations, but that does not matter to the people who think what we do is just as bad as what these guys did. While we understand the difference, others do not.

Something that seems to have been lost in this case is the use of firearms and waterfowl which both fall under federal juristiction, this case was obviously plea bargained which I don't agree with when firearms are involved in the crime committed. The original intent in our current gun laws is a mandatory minimum sentence when a firearm is used in a crime, unfortunately this plea bargained in most every case. This case is to similar to crimes against people, robbery, assault etc. No wonder law enforcement is frustrated with the justice system

First, I don't want to confuse what they were doing with hunting. But if I follow your logic, then wouldn't any hunting out of season violation be a use of firearms while committing a crime offense, and therefore federal? Unless they were hunting with a slingshot maybe? (Unnecessary use of sarcasm on that line. Meant for humor effects only)

As far as law enforcement being frustrated with the justice system, find me a place where that isn't true. Dictatorships, military juntas, and totalitarian regimes excluded. I personally don't want to live in a place where law enforcement is perfectly content with the justice system, and vice-versa.

At the end of the day, I think the outcome for these guys was pretty close to appropriate. Which, other than a dislike of perch in community lakes, could be the first thing sundancefisher and I ever agreed on.

Flytyer..

No wonder law enforcement is frustrated with the justice system

...well that doesn't stop them from trying to change the justice system does it...all around you there will be lame excuses as to why the law enforcement, can't do this or that ..and all the fingers point to suits..just one vicious circle.............Wolfie

Guest Sundancefisher
First, I don't want to confuse what they were doing with hunting. But if I follow your logic, then wouldn't any hunting out of season violation be a use of firearms while committing a crime offense, and therefore federal? Unless they were hunting with a slingshot maybe? (Unnecessary use of sarcasm on that line. Meant for humor effects only)

As far as law enforcement being frustrated with the justice system, find me a place where that isn't true. Dictatorships, military juntas, and totalitarian regimes excluded. I personally don't want to live in a place where law enforcement is perfectly content with the justice system, and vice-versa.

At the end of the day, I think the outcome for these guys was pretty close to appropriate. Which, other than a dislike of perch in community lakes, could be the first thing sundancefisher and I ever agreed on.

Strange...I ran out side and did not see one pig flying nor a purple sky.

I am confused :angel:smail:

From this morning's Metro. To this guy, we are all GOBs.

You know you’re not a good old boy (GOB) when ... you don’t get hunting. And I don’t get hunting.

Call me crazy but I don’t understand the great satisfaction that goes with blowing up small animals for fun. Or large animals, for that matter.

So when I watched the YouTube video of the three yahoos blowing up ducks for yucks on a Saskat­chewan slough, it set what’s left of my hair on fire. If you haven’t seen it, it’s easy to find. Just Google “YouTube duck shooters” and click straight through to shock and outrage.

And there has been an outcry. The three GOBs in question pleaded guilty to various violations of the Dead Bird Act. Of course, they got off with a fine and a rap on the knuckles — so now their fake contrition can evaporate like a morning mist on a Prairie pond and they can go back to being full-time morons.

If the punishment fit the crime, they’d be up for an extended stay in the Hardrock Hilton for trashing nature while they run around giggling — then compounding their stupidity by posting it on YouTube. Let’s see how they feel if they get to be the sitting ducks and the jailhouse regulars get to be the hunters.

The sad truth is that one of the charges these guys pleaded guilty to was hunting out of season — a mere technicality. In season? All you need is a licence and a ridiculously overpowered firearm.

The even sadder truth is these YouTube boobs are hardly unique. There are hundreds (thousands?) of other videos posted on YouTube featuring beefy guys in high-tech gear blowing away ducks, rabbits, bears and various ungulates with carefree abandon, all perfectly legal, all in season.

And yes, I still eat meat, which I buy at a supermarket. And yes, that makes me a shameless hypocrite. I’m trying to quit. But here’s the news: We have perfected the technology of fang and claw. There’s no need to go out and actively track down dinner, unless you’re one of the few thousand people left on the planet who are legitimate hunter/gatherers.

And if you try to convince me there’s something special about duck à la buckshot, you’re just adding insult to injury. Real men eat tofu.

GOBs, it’s time to hand in your weapons. There are plenty of exciting alternatives to exterminating Daffy and Donald and an annual estimated 100 million of their woodland friends. Take pictures of ducks instead. You get to shiver for hours in a blind, just like hunting.

You don’t need a licence and it’s a helluva lot easier on the critters.

Guest Sundancefisher
that guy needs some rocksalt in the ass, goddamn yuppie. I'm willing to bet he wouldnt have the slightest clue what CWD stands for if you asked. Stupid f@cking anti's.

I lost respect for the Metro. There biases reporting shows their true colors and attempt to lead people rather than report to people.