Fly Fusion Forums

Where Is The Enforcement In Alberta?

I'll tell you....It's wherever I am. I have been stopped by Sustainable resources people not once in the last two days,not twice, but four times!!! First time was at the Boulder run at the Oldman Dam (license checked on a free fishing weekend?), second time was on the Crow by Jeff the stream watch fellow, third time was today to do a fisheries survey, and the fourth time was Jeff again who spoke to my my wife while I, from a distance, contemplated running into the bush looking like I had a sack full of fish just to add some excitement to the evening.

P.S. - I don't ever want to hear any whining about crappy enforcement in this province again. (At least not in the Crow area.)

BTW I would like to commend Jeff for the job he is doing on the Crow and area. It's nice to see enforcement happening

at all hours and days of the week.

What's funny is I have been stopped a couple of times for surveys, but never once in my life, anywhere in the world, have I ever been checked for my license. Considering the number of trips, that has to be statistically impossible.

I have been checked twice in 5 years, and one of those times the guy didn't even get out of his truck, the other time we diserved it as we were walking thru a park with open beers.

I think Alberta should enforce a license display requirement like you see in the east coast. Back east you are required to display your license in full view in a clear plastic pouch on you back. That way F&W can scout the rivers with Binoculars and see who is who on the river, and check the logs to see if there is a multiple offender, and if the guy has been checked twice earlier that day.

I'll tell you....It's wherever I am. I have been stopped by Sustainable resources people not once in the last two days,not twice, but four times!!! First time was at the Boulder run at the Oldman Dam (license checked on a free fishing weekend?), second time was on the Crow by Jeff the stream watch fellow, third time was today to do a fisheries survey, and the fourth time was Jeff again who spoke to my my wife while I, from a distance, contemplated running into the bush looking like I had a sack full of fish just to add some excitement to the evening.

P.S. - I don't ever want to hear any whining about crappy enforcement in this province again. (At least not in the Crow area.)

BTW I would like to commend Jeff for the job he is doing on the Crow and area. It's nice to see enforcement happening

at all hours and days of the week.

I would have to say that was simply a statistical anomaly. I have been a serious fly fisherman in this province for about 8 years, including the crow area, and I have only had my license checked once. And that was several years ago now.

My licence was checked last night on the Crowsest as well as my 2 hooks. Thankfully I passed with flying colors. I can't believe how fast those guys are on you. You certainly wouldn't have any time to pinch a barb if you are the type of person to skirt the law. I was checked last year on the Crowsnest as well. Great job by the conservation officers.

Checked twice this year both while fly fishing. I've also seen a number of officers checking others, however these are usually in heavily fished areas. I've seen a ton of poachers near Carseland. Every time i see a poach I call them in but I've yet to see someone nailed.

got to add my two cents to this thread..all my life and i'm not so young anymore, but all across Canada from one end to the other including wayyyy up north, I've NEVER been checked or asked or even seen a game warden..that is Until the last week in May on the Bow below Fish 22x just past the bridge, and the funny thing is ...I tried to get away from him only cause I had my Wolf with me and didn't want to get into a pissin contest with him...but I got stopped when a family came with 4 dogs and stopped me for a bit..

...yes there are wardens out in Alberta, ...........................Wolfie

My wife and I had parked at the Sam Livinston fish hatchery and walked over to the weir to watch the pelicans fish. There must have been 200 pelicans there. I was sitting there watching the pelicans when a disabled guy wheeled his wheelchair to the platform at the top of the stairway. He had a rod with him and sat there for at least a half an hour getting it ready to fish. Then when he was finally ready to fish he looked in front of him. There on the wall in direct view of him was a sign "no fishing within 25m of the weir". I was not sure if he was just going to ignore it or not. But he packed up his rod and rolled away. I kind of felt sorry for the guy. But rules are rules.

Rob

I have been checked a few times, but where are they when you find bait fishin' shore lunch fish fry pits-complete with rotting tubs of smelts or worms and beer cans strewn about on the Livingston, our beloved catch and release stream? Sorry to vent, but that bugs me.

On another note, this past weekend on a trip to the confluence of the Liv/Oldman, our peaceful dinner was interrupted by consistent and persistent gun fire very near to our campsite. The gang of 1 truck and two ATVs then drove past our site to the confluence and continued to target practice well past dusk. If you know the spot, then you know that the only place to shoot there is into the canyon walls, up into the forest across the way, or onto the river. All potential places for fishermen to be. This went on for 3 hours.

The next day I found the remains of balloons strewn down the shore-line. Baffled by there presence, I determined that perhaps the shooters where sending them down the river as moving targets. We also heard several shots that afternoon close by while we fished and hoped we weren't in range of the zealots.

Apparently, target practice is allowed, but not when it poses a danger to other campers or anglers, or when it introduces litter and damages habitat Both Fish and Wildlife and the RCMP appreciated the report, but said without a license plate, there was little they could do. "Um 'scuse me fella's I just wanted to get your....OH! You have a gun..." Right.

Guess it is up to us to encourage and educate respectful use of these places we love so much. In the mean-time, keep reporting things you see that are not right.

By the way, If you are out there in the next few days, beware of a very healthy black bear scouting out the area. We returned to find him on the path just between us and our truck parked just above the confluence. We were less afraid of him than the shooters...

Oh yeah, and the fishing was awesome- Brown Drakes are on.

Happy Fishing

Jenn

Never been checked on the bow, but have been checked on the elbow river and at a few kananaskis lakes and ponds. Also I have had my fishing license checked when stopped on my ATV to check for Registration and insurance because I said I was going fishing too. I have had the Atv stuff checked probably 20 times in the last 5 years.

I seem to see SRD guys fairly often in the places I go...just my 2cents

There was a CO on the Bow yesterday with his jet ski checking people,well until he sucked up some rocks and broke his sheer key anyway.Had to help him out to get it re started,he was just downstream of Police and his truck was at Carseland.Hope he made it back before dark he wasn't going to fast with a wounded jet ski.

There was a CO on the Bow yesterday with his jet ski checking people,well until he sucked up some rocks and broke his sheer key anyway.Had to help him out to get it re started,he was just downstream of Police and his truck was at Carseland.Hope he made it back before dark he wasn't going to fast with a wounded jet ski.

I saw him take off up the back channels at caresland as we were pulling in.

Been fishing in BC twice this year and guess what. Checked twice..

If Alberta would step it up like that we wouldnt have so many problems. Seems we like to let the idiots play with guns and wreck our fisheries while we stand here and watch.

I fished the Oldman/Gap area 40 days last summer and was never checked but I knew I was being watched. The CO/Streamwatch guy would stop at a viewpoint and watch with hi-powered binocs (I'm assuming) and see if you were de-barbing releasing etc. That's fine with me. It's a lot of river to cover and you can't expect him to walk the whole area. Checking me would be a waste of time. Time better spent on the lawbreakers.