Fly Fusion Forums

Jim Mclennan - Want To See You On "the New Flyfisher"

I heard that some of the people who have something to do with the TV show "The New Flyfisher" visit this forum. I have a request I would like to make to those persons. How about headlining/guest staring an episode or 20 with our own Jim McLennan?!?

I would love to see Jim on the TV!

After taking a class with Jim a couple of years back, and after reading his books, I have become a better fly fisher. I think that many other people would also benefit from seeing even just 30 minutes of him in action on the tube! It's also my opinion that there are no better persons who could represent this sport we love!

I just finished watching one of his old shows on youtube over the last couple of days, and also have recordings of a few of his old Iron Blue episodes. He's a great host and I really enjoy the way he gives tips. It's a lot like his writing style - organized, logical, and enjoyable.

Bring him on the New Fly Fisher! :clap:

I heard that some of the people who have something to do with the TV show "The New Flyfisher" visit this forum. I have a request I would like to make to those persons. How about headlining/guest staring an episode or 20 with our own Jim McLennan?!?

After taking a class with Jim a couple of years back, and after reading his books, I have become a better fly fisher. I think that many other people would also benefit from seeing even just 30 minutes of him in action on the tube! It's also my opinion that there are no better persons who could represent this sport we love!

I agree 100%. I gotta take one of his classes.

Hey Kungfool,

Totally agree. Would love to see Jim on the tube. Phil, Communications Director, for The New Fly Fisher drops by Fly Fish Calgary from time to time. I sent him an e-mail with the URL to your post. Looking forward to seeing where it goes. Would also be cool to see Jim on Sport Fishing On the Fly as well. Great idea!

Cheers!

Chris

I'm not sure what the whole story is or how touchy the subject but it would be great is Jim could have control of the Iron Blue tapes. A boxed set of all 26 (I think it was on for two seasons) would be a wonderful revenue generator and a great resource and legacy for Alberta anglers.

My all time fav is when Bob Scammell put him on his two named trout on Prairie Creek. And he stuck both of them.

Magic.

Lord Bob tells me that "Son of Shark" has now taken up residence in the same undercut that his video star predecessor once inhabited.

Hi,

Phil Rowley told me about your post, thought I should reply. Jim is a wonderful angler, instructor and great person. We would love to have him on our series this season. Unfortunately, Alberta Tourism denied our request for funding assistance to tape in your beautiful province. This is tragic as last season we shot five shows there (Phil did them and they will begin airing on WFN at the end of June). Right now we are scheduled to shoot shows right across Canada, from Labrador to BC. However, until tourism can assist us, then we won't be able to shoot in Alberta or do something with Jim. We have our fingers crossed that something will happen in the future. Having Jim on our series would be an incredible honour. Iron Blue is still my all-time favourite fly fishing series.

Enjoy the fishing season this year.

Cheers

Colin

Colin McKeown

Producer

The New Fly Fisher

Hi Colin,

Thanks for taking time to fill us in on Tourism Alberta. Looking forward to seeing the new season. Hope all is well.

Cheers!

c:

Hi,

Phil Rowley told me about your post, thought I should reply. Jim is a wonderful angler, instructor and great person. We would love to have him on our series this season. Unfortunately, Alberta Tourism denied our request for funding assistance to tape in your beautiful province. This is tragic as last season we shot five shows there (Phil did them and they will begin airing on WFN at the end of June). Right now we are scheduled to shoot shows right across Canada, from Labrador to BC. However, until tourism can assist us, then we won't be able to shoot in Alberta or do something with Jim. We have our fingers crossed that something will happen in the future. Having Jim on our series would be an incredible honour. Iron Blue is still my all-time favourite fly fishing series.

Enjoy the fishing season this year.

Cheers

Colin

Colin McKeown

Producer

The New Fly Fisher

It might be a good idea if a few of us were to give the Honourable Cindy Ady, Minister of Tourism, Parks and Recreation a call, and remind her how much revenue the fly fishing industry contributes to the province, and even directly to some of the businesses within her riding of Calgary-Shaw.

And while you have her on the line it wouldn't hurt to remind her how important it is to maintain public access to the river within her riding in the Dawes Pitt/Fish Creek/ 194th ave area. This is an access point used by many, not just Chaparaller's like RickR and myself, that may be lost with some of the development plans proposed for this area.

Cindy Ady

Legislature Office

#229 Legislature Building

10800 97 Avenue

Edmonton, AB

Canada T5K 2B6

Phone: (780) 427-4928

Fax: (780) 427-0188

Constituency Offices

Constituency Office

#328, 22 Midlake Blvd. SE

Calgary, AB

Canada T2X 2X7

Phone: (403) 256-8969

Fax: (403) 256-8970

calgary.shaw@assembly.ab.ca

Not that I want to be a negative influence here but getting into a hissing match with Travel Alberta may not totally be in Colin and Jim's best interests.

It appears Colin got some juice last year and I suspect intends on going to the same well in 2010.

Remember this is Alberta hotel room tax cash that TA is forking over. Thanx to the great generosity of the oil patch which I reckon pays the bulk of this money for crew accommodation. Or how do you explain all those motels in Drayton Valley, Whitecourt, Brooks, Provost, etc.

Biting the hand that feeds you is never a good idea.

I don't think that it has to be a hissing match> i think the best thing we could do is email Cindy Ady and let ther know how much we enjoyed hte series, inform her about fishing in alberta and the potential it offers to tourists in alberta. I Know Cindy Ady personaly and a few letters like this goes a long way. I know that even five letters about the 194 ave access to the river would trigger an inquiry by her staff the KEY to getting action from alderman, MLA's, M.P's is follow up one week after your first letter send another asking if they have had a chance to read, investigate and respond to your letter..... The best thing you can do to change government minds is approch positively, concerned and willing to help make change. and (friendly)follow up, (friendly)follow up, (friendly)follow up.

Good afternoon everyone, thank you for your support of our show.

As Colin has pointed out we would love to have Jim appear on our show. In fact, it was in the plans to film at least one show with him this season.

We were fortunate to film 5 episodes across Alberta last fall that begin airing on WFN at the end of June. I had the pleasure of filming shows on Lake Wabamum for pike, Pidgeon Lake for walleye, Muir for rainbows, the Crowsnest and the Bow.

We are thankful for the support Travel Alberta provided last season and were hopeful of continuing our project with an additional 5 shows this coming year. Unfortunately at this point that is not the case. Hopefully we can put another project together in 2010.

Any support you can provide by contacting you MP's is greatly appreciated. Who knows, with this kind of support perhaps filming in 2009 is still possible. As a fellow Alberta resident I am proud of the tourism opportunities available in this province. Especially when it comes to fly fishing. In these challenging times our goal is to stimulate our viewers into booking trips and visiting Alberta to experience what they saw for themselves.

Thanks,

Phil Rowley

Director of Marketing and Communications & Host

The New Fly Fisher

I don't think that it has to be a hissing match> i think the best thing we could do is email Cindy Ady and let ther know how much we enjoyed hte series, inform her about fishing in alberta and the potential it offers to tourists in alberta. I Know Cindy Ady personaly and a few letters like this goes a long way. I know that even five letters about the 194 ave access to the river would trigger an inquiry by her staff the KEY to getting action from alderman, MLA's, M.P's is follow up one week after your first letter send another asking if they have had a chance to read, investigate and respond to your letter..... The best thing you can do to change government minds is approch positively, concerned and willing to help make change. and (friendly)follow up, (friendly)follow up, (friendly)follow up.

Well said troutlover.

If people aren't aware of the importance of certain issues, they can't go to bat for us. A polite informative letter, phone call, email is all that's required.

As a result of watching The New Fly Fisher, I've traveled to Manitoba to fish for tigers (going again this year), and I've seen a few others from Fly Fish Calgary who are planning to do the same. The New Fly Fisher also has me interested in trying out some of Ontario's salmon and steelhead fisheries. These are just two examples of how the program provides great marketing potential. In a time of shrinking budgets, the people at Travel Alberta need to see that there is a potential return in funding the shooting of an episode(s) of The New Fly Fisher in Alberta.

My experience is that people in general want to help, and if you approach them in a friendly informative way, they're more than happy to do what they can.