Fly Fusion Forums

8'6" Or 9'?

darrinhurst

Hey all. Was out this morning at my local shop trying out some four pieces. I currently use a 9' two piece TFO Signature 1 rod, but I am looking to change it to a four piece for convenience sake. The two piece tube is just too damn long. lol

Anyway, I tried out a four piece Sage Launch 9' and a four piece Signature 1 9'. I preferred the Signature 1 over the Sage, I just liked the action better. We also tried out the 8'6" in the signature 1 two piece (he didn't think that they had the four piece in stock, but he found out later they did) and I REALLY loved the feel of the 8'6". Aaron, the guy I was dealing with at Fish Tales, said that he loves that 8'6" and that it's a killer rod for dry fly fishing on the bow.

My problem is, I have a 7'6" for dry fly and was looking to replace the 9' two piece as my everyday rod on the Bow, for nymphing and chucking streamers. The two piece as done me fine for that, so the four piece should do the same.

Now my concern is, what do I get? I liked the 9', but loved the 8'6", that tiny bit less weight felt awesome. Aaron figured the 8'6" could nymph, but not as good as the 9' would.

What are your thoughts?

darrin go with a 9ft if your nymphing.

im fishing a 8' 6" fast action rod right now

and its a bitch for nymphing.

much harder to mend, casting in wind makes you really work.

i would say go with the 9 or even 9' 6"

I nymph on a 10ft rod. You never did state what WT the rod would be. You might not want a 9 footer if it's a 3WT becuase it'll be more comfortable shorter. If it's a 5/6/7 I'd go with 9ft, if it's 8wt or 9wt maybe 8'6" becuase of the weight of the rod to cast all day.

remember casting in a fly shop or parking lot with nothing attached... just isnt the same as nymphing a indy, splitshots, 2 or 3 nymphs, and throwing all that 40ft and getting a good mend with the wind blowin' :lol:

Guest JayVee
Anyway, I tried out a four piece Sage Launch 9' and a four piece Signature 1 9'. I preferred the Signature 1 over the Sage, I just liked the action better.

FNG (Darrin)

When you say you "tried out" do you mean you gave it a flick in the store or did you actually rig it up and cast it? I ask because in my limited experience you really need to try the rod with the line you intend to use. I put a SA GPX on my Sage Launch 9' 6wt and it has made a world of difference over the old Ultra I had on there. I can roll cast and double spey cast with it way better and it chucks heavy streams and weighted nymph rigs better as well, though admittedly you don't need much finesse for streamers. I'm not pushing the Sage rod at all; I'm just saying even the line you use will likely make a world of difference. And you're right about the convenience of a four piece. I'll never own another two piece fly rod.

Neil

I have the TFO Signature 5wt 8'6" model and it works not to bad for nymphing but a little extra for mending would be nice. I am looking at upgrading to a 9' 6wt Signature 4pc because I am really liking my 5wt so I figure i'll stick with the rod just bump it up a weight for nymphing and streamering.

I also have an 11'2" rod and you can mend like crazy with that thing, definitely having extra length is worth it especially when you have a weird current in front of you that you have to work with

I nymph on a 10ft rod. You never did state what WT the rod would be. You might not want a 9 footer if it's a 3WT becuase it'll be more comfortable shorter. If it's a 5/6/7 I'd go with 9ft, if it's 8wt or 9wt maybe 8'6" becuase of the weight of the rod to cast all day.

remember casting in a fly shop or parking lot with nothing attached... just isnt the same as nymphing a indy, splitshots, 2 or 3 nymphs, and throwing all that 40ft and getting a good mend with the wind blowin' :lol:

I guess I should have mentioned that it would be another 5WT. I have a 7'6" 3WT I bought earlier this year for dry fly casting in the mountain streams. Even on the Bow. Beats re-rigging. Just toss the 5WT aside and grab the 3WT.

FNG (Darrin)

When you say you "tried out" do you mean you gave it a flick in the store or did you actually rig it up and cast it? I ask because in my limited experience you really need to try the rod with the line you intend to use. I put a SA GPX on my Sage Launch 9' 6wt and it has made a world of difference over the old Ultra I had on there. I can roll cast and double spey cast with it way better and it chucks heavy streams and weighted nymph rigs better as well, though admittedly you don't need much finesse for streamers. I'm not pushing the Sage rod at all; I'm just saying even the line you use will likely make a world of difference. And you're right about the convenience of a four piece. I'll never own another two piece fly rod.

Neil

I guess it depends on what you mean by "gear up". I had them put on a reel with a line, leader, etc. It's a different line than what I use, he said that they had the SA Trout line on there. Cast nice. I currently have a Cortland 444 Classic line on mine. I'm planning on going back on Tuesday with my own reel and line and trying them again, so I can get a feel of what it would actually be like for me.

I think that I am leaning more toward the 9' again. It's been great for me so far, but I have always had that 8'6" in the back of my mind since I first took my casting lessons. The 8'6" one just felt better to me then too.

Stay open-minded, keep trying sticks. Just tape over the brand names and find one that fits you. Then look at fitting the budget. Nymphing works best if you can "high-stick" at various times. There is also a requiremewnt for the odd roll cast. Longer is better.

j

longer rods are great for more leverage ease of mending hooksetting at distances etc but shorter rods are easier too control fatigue you less and are easier too learn on.. i think teh 8" 6" would be better suited for you specially because i remeber u talking about your elbow last fall i think.... might help .. 6 inches of graphite dotn seem like much but it will help...... worry about the bombs and such later and you can make it easier too mend at distance by lifting your are higher and making your rod a 11 footer (its what i do) same with hook setting.. not all abotu power with mends and strikes more abotu leverage.. and your are is the best lever u have!!!!...... then get a 9"er down teh road... maybe

FNG ... Fly fishing is a personal sport. It is supposed to be about getting out there and enjoying yourself, enjoying the experience and all that goes with it. Each person has their own opinion about what they use and why they use it. This is consistent through rods, reels, vests, waders, etc., etc. I believe the question you should be asking yourself is which rod do you believe you will enjoy more? Forget about the mechanics someone might tell you about the ease of mending, ease of handling or leverage of one rod length over another. All those things are subsidiary and can be adapted to. My suggestion would be to pick the rod you think you will enjoy fishing with most. As my bowhunting buddies tell me, it's not the length of the shaft that matters, it's what you do with it that makes the difference.

• 2 weeks later...
longer rods are great for more leverage ease of mending hooksetting at distances etc but shorter rods are easier too control fatigue you less and are easier too learn on.. i think teh 8" 6" would be better suited for you specially because i remeber u talking about your elbow last fall i think.... might help .. 6 inches of graphite dotn seem like much but it will help...... worry about the bombs and such later and you can make it easier too mend at distance by lifting your are higher and making your rod a 11 footer (its what i do) same with hook setting.. not all abotu power with mends and strikes more abotu leverage.. and your are is the best lever u have!!!!...... then get a 9"er down teh road... maybe

FNG ... Fly fishing is a personal sport. It is supposed to be about getting out there and enjoying yourself, enjoying the experience and all that goes with it. Each person has their own opinion about what they use and why they use it. This is consistent through rods, reels, vests, waders, etc., etc. I believe the question you should be asking yourself is which rod do you believe you will enjoy more? Forget about the mechanics someone might tell you about the ease of mending, ease of handling or leverage of one rod length over another. All those things are subsidiary and can be adapted to. My suggestion would be to pick the rod you think you will enjoy fishing with most. As my bowhunting buddies tell me, it's not the length of the shaft that matters, it's what you do with it that makes the difference.

Well, these two quotes, (Thanks Maxwell, and pseudonym) helped me make up my mind. I was already thinking the 8'6" and went with what just felt better.

Finally had a chance to fish with it today, and I had zero problems nymphing with it. Actually didn't feel much different than my 9' to be honest.

This was the first fish I caught on it.

DSCF2830-1.jpg

The second was a white fish that was about 6" long. Could barely see it when I had it in my hand to take the hook out. lol Smallest I've caught on the Bow. Right after the biggest. lol

Nice fish Darrin looks like your skills have improved,but whats with that net? There are no goldfish in the bow <--poke--<

I know, I know. I can't justify a new net. This one works well, just tiny. lol.

I should donate it to Sundance's perch patrol.

Nice fish Darrin looks like your skills have improved,but whats with that net? There are no goldfish in the bow <--poke--<

Actually...... I hooked a very large Goldfish on the Bow two years ago. Quite intentional I saw it in the shallows in fish creek. About 10" long it lazily took a copper john. Obviously some one let it go at some time with good intentions. It now makes the grass grow better along that stretch of river.

Actually...... I hooked a very large Goldfish on the Bow two years ago. Quite intentional I saw it in the shallows in fish creek. About 10" long it lazily took a copper john. Obviously some one let it go at some time with good intentions. It now makes the grass grow better along that stretch of river.

Funny just as i pushed add reply i thought someone was going to prove me wrong.