Fly Fusion Forums

Bass Pro Shops Fish Tank

So I was in Bass Pro Shops last night and noticed a few of the trout with LARGE gashes/gouges/whatever you want to call them but you could see bare flesh and blood. These fish looked in TERRIBLE condition. I'm not sure where they came from but it seems to me there are not being well taken care of. Or perhaps the pike swimming amongst them took a chunk out of them? Bottomline is this dosen't sit well with me. Am I off my rocker being concerned about this? I don't think so but why is this ok?

So I was in Bass Pro Shops last night and noticed a few of the trout with LARGE gashes/gouges/whatever you want to call them but you could see bare flesh and blood. These fish looked in TERRIBLE condition. I'm not sure where they came from but it seems to me there are not being well taken care of. Or perhaps the pike swimming amongst them took a chunk out of them? Bottomline is this dosen't sit well with me. Am I off my rocker being concerned about this? I don't think so but why is this ok?

Poor management of anything that harms our wildlife, or captured wildlife is unacceptable. Have you called Bass Pro about this?

Well I called. The explanation:

"The pike in the tank likes to take a swipe here and there at the trout. That's what happens in nature so that's what happens in the tank to reflect nature and the local fish. That's how it is in the local rivers and lakes so we what to reflect the natural settings. So it's ok."

Hmm...natural settings have much more opportunities for the fish to escape as well as more natural and abundant features for fish to survive (cover, structure, etc.) and not to mention a tank IS NOT NATURAL. I didn't speak directly with the tank overseer but I did leave my name and number. I completely understand having a display if the fish are well taken care as well as their wellbeing but I fail to see the logic in comparing a tank with natural setting. It's like putting a cat in a room full of mice. Sure it's natural for the cat to catch the mice but is it fair for the mice? Eventually all the mice will be eaten. If they were in their natural settings I'm sure some if not most would get away. I'm a bit taken aback, this just does not sit well with me.

Well I called. The explanation:

"The pike in the tank likes to take a swipe here and there at the trout. That's what happens in nature so that's what happens in the tank to reflect nature and the local fish. That's how it is in the local rivers and lakes so we what to reflect the natural settings. So it's ok."

Hmm...natural settings have much more opportunities for the fish to escape as well as more natural and abundant features for fish to survive (cover, structure, etc.) and not to mention a tank IS NOT NATURAL. I didn't speak directly with the tank overseer but I did leave my name and number. I completely understand having a display if the fish are well taken care as well as their wellbeing but I fail to see the logic in comparing a tank with natural setting. It's like putting a cat in a room full of mice. Sure it's natural for the cat to catch the mice but is it fair for the mice? Eventually all the mice will be eaten. If they were in their natural settings I'm sure some if not most would get away. I'm a bit taken aback, this just does not sit well with me.

I agree that it does not sit well .. I asked while there and they told me it happened and that they are feeding the pike more to stop it ?-------- I know the pike will get bigger and then what ...

hope this pic does not offend the Mods .. (This is not a pic of poor fish handling it’s a very educational pic and the Mods approve)

IMGP0018-4.jpg

Maybe someone should grab one of the guns and shoot the manager in the knee.. and then say "that's what some humans do in nature!"

And when a human does that in nature they go to jail, no offence birchy but that was a pretty dumb reply IMO

I would say go to the SPCA and report it if it bothers you that much, complaining on an internet forum does no good.

Heh, pretty shaky ground coming from a bunch of people who like to poke sharp hooks through trout and drag them out of the water by it. I agree that in nature the trout would have more of a chance of escaping, but complaining to the SPCA about it might put an unwanted spotlight on what we all enjoy doing for recreation. Maybe we could call PETA on them as well...

(And before anyone goes ballistic on me, I've been opposed to Bass Pro's fish tank since day one)

Headscan,

Morals are relative. Whatever we do is fine, but someone else? That's another matter entirely, they need to be stopped damnit!

I hope the sarcasm dripping through my post comes through.

Anyone who has ever had an aquarium has had this problem with one fish species or another. Just seems like a bigger deal cuz it's a rainbow. If it was a sucker, or a guppy for that matter, would anyone complain?

That said, they do need to do something about the issue, because if nothing else it's bad advertising. And that said, take a look at this pic from my brown this morning. Someone needs to shoot that bird, or whatever did this. Claw marks on both sides of the fish. Bastard.

brown530.jpg

I think you unknowingly got my point..

LMAO....

the fish in the tank at BPS have been like that for quite some time now..I've seen Browns, Brookies, Rainbows, Pike, Walleye, and a Burbot in that tank WTF did they think was going to happen .. put fish together that naturally do not belong together in a what? 1500 gallon tank maybe??....your going to have problems..Why no Perch? .. cause they are small and would get pounded right away..I think they realise their mistake now but how do they selectively remove fish from that tank w/o drainig it?

Heh, pretty shaky ground coming from a bunch of people who like to poke sharp hooks through trout and drag them out of the water by it. I agree that in nature the trout would have more of a chance of escaping, but complaining to the SPCA about it might put an unwanted spotlight on what we all enjoy doing for recreation. Maybe we could call PETA on them as well...

(And before anyone goes ballistic on me, I've been opposed to Bass Pro's fish tank since day one)

Oh man PETA would have a gong show going on in that place. I'm sure they've already made their mark with Bass Pro Shops some where. I may be concerned about the tank but I wouldn't sick PETA on my worst enemy.

There is some perch is the system...they are in the stream part of the display hiding under the bridge. Bass pro came to Sundance in the winter and collected a whole bunch of perch to condition the system prior to putting trout in. The guy recently told me they came into the store one morning and the pike had half a 20" Brown sticking out of his face.