Fly Fusion Forums

Best, Most Affordable "bedroom Community" Around Calgary

Our #1 son may be headed for Calgary this fall as part of a corporate management shuffle in a major grocery chain. Thought I'd take advantage of resident knowledge and get some recommendations for areas to buy and live for two "D.I.N.K.s" (Double Income, No Kids....yet) Daughter-in-law will be looking for a position in Human Resources. They will probably be flogging their 3 bedroom 3 yr. old home in Kamloops, if this thing comes together.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Our #1 son may be headed for Calgary this fall as part of a corporate management shuffle in a major grocery chain. Thought I'd take advantage of resident knowledge and get some recommendations for areas to buy and live for two "D.I.N.K.s" (Double Income, No Kids....yet) Daughter-in-law will be looking for a position in Human Resources. They will probably be flogging their 3 bedroom 3 yr. old home in Kamloops, if this thing comes together.

Thanks for any suggestions.

realistically Jack, they need to decide what part of the city do they want to live. What they are looking for can be found in each quadent NW, NE, SW, SE.

Myself personally, I live in the NW. I love it up here it is quiet, safe but far from the river.

I would be looking for NW or SW as the east side has a lot more unsavoury elements

Whatever he decides, just stay out of the southeast. Crappy lake communities and The Bow is just too close as it attracts all thoe unsavory fishing characters. Its also closer to the southern streams, and who wants that?

NW is way nicer. Less traffic, easier commute and best of all, farthest from the water! What more could anyone want?

To buy - www.mls.ca, welist .com

For rentals - homerent.ca, rentspot .com, rentfaster.ca

Covers Calgary and bedroom communities. Unless they have particular needs, most communities have all amenities. Traffic from outlying communities is an issue. They don't want to have to cross the city every day.

Please send several trainloads of good weather with them.

"Traffic from outlying communities is an issue. They don't want to have to cross the city every day.

Please send several trainloads of good weather with them. "

Appreciate that insight. With exception of today, there really hassn't been any to ship, honest.

No doubt they will be looking to buy. The home values in 'Loops have been pretty good over the past 3 years, with no real drop over the last 6 months.

Thanks guys.

j

I would reccomend moving very close to where his work will be, like walking or biking distance if possible. Beautiful City to live in but it can be a miserable SOB to commute here if you plan it wrong, and sometimes when you plan it right!

Is the transfer voluntary? He is leaving a great city!

SE, Mackenzie Towne, can't remember if he fishes or not, but I'm 5 minutes from the river. Housing prices are very low (down about 60-80 Grand from when we bought 2 years ago :(), every house has a dog and 2 kids, very family friendly area (just planning for you gramps). I've always lived in this end of the city (since 1969) and just find it so convenient, if I need to get out of town 22X is a quick run to K Country, with Deerfoot the airport and downtown are 15 to 20 minutes away (on a good day). With all the new development going on soon you won't even need to venture to any other part of Calgary as everything is being built out here.

Colin

It is such a big city there are gems in all quadrants. They really need to come for a visit and take a look around. All areas, like most things in life, have their pluses and minuses, but it is a good place to live. Is his work downtown? This will give you a reason to come here and teach me to fish!

No details at all, Mike. Head office is in the NE, but there are several other locations possible also. "The Man" just told him to start packing his bags. If/when he gets a house set up, my honey and I will be there. Trade you river time for stillwater lessons.

j

No details at all, Mike. Head office is in the NE, but there are several other locations possible also. "The Man" just told him to start packing his bags. If/when he gets a house set up, my honey and I will be there. Trade you river time for stillwater lessons.

j

deal!

I would rent first then. Maybe rent inner City for a few months and wait to find out where they will be working. Because if they buy in the SW and end up working in the NE that's about an 1 hour and 10 min drive with traffic. Plus, housing prices will probably dip down again in the Fall, Spring is usually the worst time to buy (although it's much cheaper then last year).

My wife and I are D.I.N.K's as well, and there is no way in hell I'd move into the suburb's where every house has 2 kids (No offense intended). So if they plan on staying DINK's, then stay clear of the communities like that... i.e. Tuscany, McKenzie town, Cranston

Just my 2 cents.

Drew

I would rent first then. Maybe rent inner City for a few months and wait to find out where they will be working. Because if they buy in the SW and end up working in the NE that's about an 1 hour and 10 min drive with traffic. Plus, housing prices will probably dip down again in the Fall, Spring is usually the worst time to buy (although it's much cheaper then last year).

My wife and I are D.I.N.K's as well, and there is no way in hell I'd move into the suburb's where every house has 2 kids (No offense intended). So if they plan on staying DINK's, then stay clear of the communities like that... i.e. Tuscany, McKenzie town, Cranston

Just my 2 cents.

Drew

That seems like an odd stance. How do kids and a dog affect the comforable living of d.i.n.k.s in the suburbs? Do kids playing in the yard disturb you in some manner? Do kids and dogs affect your quality of living? I would love to hear how.

I am not offended really but I just found that to be a really odd thing to say.

I would say yes, it would affect how you live. If there are kids running through the street all day, dogs barking etc etc then it may not be what you want. If you have friends over later and have a patio party, the neighbors might not be as leaneant with noise, drinking and swearing.. etc. I'm not saying it's a huge issue, just that it is probably a better idea to live in a community that fits your lifestyle.

Doesn't matter if he fishes, Colin, The "Old Man" will come and visit !! :)

j

Jeez that's scary.

The young fella's a nice guy but Calgary isn't ready for Jack. :masterbaiter:

Jack- pretty much everything said above (not including noise, drinking and swearing) is pretty sound advice. Traffic here can be a bear, so location can be important.

Later

BK

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

only an idiot would willingly move to the NE/SE! Stick to the DMZ (de militarized zone), no gang shooting and much nicer communities. I will never live on the east side of Deerfoot or south of down town. I LOVE it in the NW

I would say yes, it would affect how you live. If there are kids running through the street all day, dogs barking etc etc then it may not be what you want. If you have friends over later and have a patio party, the neighbors might not be as leaneant with noise, drinking and swearing.. etc. I'm not saying it's a huge issue, just that it is probably a better idea to live in a community that fits your lifestyle.

I would put up with that then having unsvoury charcters scooping out my house, or drive by a Confedrate Flag hanging in every second window, or stepping on the odd crack needle.

It is a good idea to live in a community that fits your lifestyle but there are plenty of houses near the core that have dogs that bark all day too. And perhaps people move to the burbs to get away from the noisy neighbours. I moved to the burbs without having a kid and it was fine. I still live in the burbs and now have a kid but continue to sit on the deck and drink and swear. Now its with the neighbours.

But I agree, find a place that fits your lifestyle. I like the affordability and sizes of the houses in the burbs. I don't work downtown so no need to live near there. You found your reason to live where you live and that is perfect.

I still live in the burbs and now have a kid but continue to sit on the deck and drink and swear. Now its with the neighbours.

Note to self: "Don't eat Triscuits while reading funny *hit unless you have a firm grasp of the self administration of the Heimlich Manoeuvre."

By the way Jack, the answer to your original question is Edmonton.