Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing With Children Advice?

I'm heading out fishing Saturday morning with some small children who are very excited to go. Does anyone have any experience with this type of fishing? We'll be taking a "minnow" net and other things to keep it interesting but any additional advice would be great...

To increase the chance of catching anything I'm hoping to hit a spot near Calgary that has been stocked - I can't find very recent stocking information on the Alberta government website, if anyone knows where I can find that info or of any spots that have been stocked a PM would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance,

Gus

Gus,

The biggest key to me is to find somewhere with as close to guaranteed action as you can get. Remember that they will not care anything about what kind of fish, or how big it is. I don't know what's been stocked either. Normally I would suggest Spruce Meadows Pond, but I think it might have winter killed.

I don't remember the name of the pond (Sibald Creek?), but it gets stocked plum full of cutties. And Mt. Kidd as well, but I don't know what time of year? What about Chain? It should be iced off, and it has lots of little guys I think.

I hear F & W are stocking Mt. Lorette Pond this weekend and there is going to be media and dignitaries (Kline, etc.) and a bunch of hoopla for some unknown reason... Might be worth a drive if it's nice.

P

I'm heading out fishing Saturday morning with some small children who are very excited to go. Does anyone have any experience with this type of fishing? We'll be taking a "minnow" net and other things to keep it interesting but any additional advice would be great...

To increase the chance of catching anything I'm hoping to hit a spot near Calgary that has been stocked - I can't find very recent stocking information on the Alberta government website, if anyone knows where I can find that info or of any spots that have been stocked a PM would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance,

Gus

There are two ponds out in the Sibbald area. I think they are Sibbald Lake (which is really a small pond) and Sibbald Pond. I believe both are stocked regularily. Sibbald Lake winter killed last year and was re-stocked with a wack of little rainbows just before the May long weekend. I was out there last year and had a blast catching these little hungry rainbows. They were very small and my buddy and I were catching with small chironomids, gnats and the occasional caddis. The people spin casting were not having any luck. I suspect that the fish were too small to take what was being offered to them.

Sibbald pond last year had more variety in both species and size (brookies, rainbows mostly). At least if you head out this way you have a couple of options that are quite close together............Good Luck...Q

Can't tell you where to fish but I can offer some advise on the kiddy part.

Do not bring a rod for yourself. I usually take my two boys(5 & 3) and I only bring one rod between them, after many fustrating outings trying to manage both of them with rods 2 to 3 times as long as they are I learned my lesson. Doesn't help if they seen star wars recently and break out in a light saber duel with two $500 rods either.

And what ever you do, don't forget the snacks lots of them.

Spruce Meadows has a nice little pond you can fish. Allen Bill is back but I don't know if it's stocked yet. Cochrane has a great local pond called Midford and the bonus isTim Hortons is close and Mckays is always great after some fishing. (word is they feed the fish salmon in the winter so they so to use that as bait)

Sunscreen, eye protection and lots of snacks and games if the bite is off

Most been said, but here's the priorities:

-Lots of fish/action...doesn't matter size or species. If it might be slower action, take them out in a boat.

-SNACKS! Something like stopping at Tim Hortons on the way to pick up timbits, fruit snacks on the water, ect.

-No rod for you. When I take my two girls out, there's one rod between the three of us.

-Dip net is a good idea. My girls love playing with the throat pump. They like squirting water in it, but are also really excited to see what the fish was eating.

Guys,

Thanks for the advice - if I hadn't read not to I would have brought my rod along, but it'll be a much better trip with mine back at the house. Snacks, maybe even cake, will be the order of the day! Sounds like we'll be heading over to sibbald or cochrane.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes...

Don't expect to stay for a long time. Usually 2 hours for my 2 boys, same age and it's time to go home. They might become disinterested rather quickly and start playing around. I usually watch their rods and call them when they get a fish. I use spinnig rods for them and dare I say BAIT. I found they can use the open face better than closed face reels. If it's their first time or they are learning to cast, I bent the hook or removed it without them seeing for their safety and mine. I also bought one of those $10 tackle boxes from can tire. Bring a net because mine love using the net to discover the lek bottom. Good luck and remember you're out there for them and bring loads of patience.

PS

Don't forget the camera

Can't tell you where to fish but I can offer some advise on the kiddy part.

Do not bring a rod for yourself. I usually take my two boys(5 & 3) and I only bring one rod between them, after many fustrating outings trying to manage both of them with rods 2 to 3 times as long as they are I learned my lesson. Doesn't help if they seen star wars recently and break out in a light saber duel with two $500 rods either.

And what ever you do, don't forget the snacks lots of them.

Amen Brother Barnes.... Bring the snacks, and lots of patience.....!

Chain lakes can be good for kids as the fishing can be pretty active and you can get an ice cream. The key is ensure is have fun with lots of distractions. Small kids have little patience. However I should be careful giving advice. Now my girls have become teenagers they have little interest in fishing....