Fly Fusion Forums

Landing The Big Ones

seanbritt

Had one of those nights that could have either been a memorable one or one to make you quit fishing. Right off landed a typical 19/20 brown. Then, hooked into a hog that sat and thrashed. I kept tension on, kept parallel to the fish, but he wiggled off in his thrashabout. Got a good look at the tail fin and he was big. Then, right before leaving, hooked into another monster that took me into my backing, jumped, ran downstream the length of the line (to the backing), then decided to run back at me. I kept the tip up, tension on, but couldn't reel fast enough. Looking back, I should have adjusted the tension on the line, but couldn't think that fast.

My question for you pros is, any suggestions on landing the big ones? I've fortunate to be hooking into good numbers of respectable fish, and have hooked into a fair share of big boys (by seeing them close or jumping), but just can't seem to get the latter into the net. I did a search on the forum, but didn't see anything. Any pointers (e.g. top 5 simple things to remember) would be greatly appreciated, as I'm reaching a very frustrating plateau in my fishing career that I would love to get over! Also, mental pointers are as welcome as the technical ones!

Had one of those nights that could have either been a memorable one or one to make you quit fishing. Right off landed a typical 19/20 brown. Then, hooked into a hog that sat and thrashed. I kept tension on, kept parallel to the fish, but he wiggled off in his thrashabout. Got a good look at the tail fin and he was big. Then, right before leaving, hooked into another monster that took me into my backing, jumped, ran downstream the length of the line (to the backing), then decided to run back at me. I kept the tip up, tension on, but couldn't reel fast enough. Looking back, I should have adjusted the tension on the line, but couldn't think that fast.

My question for you pros is, any suggestions on landing the big ones? I've fortunate to be hooking into good numbers of respectable fish, and have hooked into a fair share of big boys (by seeing them close or jumping), but just can't seem to get the latter into the net. I did a search on the forum, but didn't see anything. Any pointers (e.g. top 5 simple things to remember) would be greatly appreciated, as I'm reaching a very frustrating plateau in my fishing career that I would love to get over! Also, mental pointers are as welcome as the technical ones!

if you could not reel fast enough maybe you are reeling with your wrong hand. just my thought. my reply might start a war of words. this might be fun. lets let all the pros answer this one.

I always use side pressure rather than keeping my tip up high. Also, if you don't have enough drag on your reel and can't crank it up during the fight (small drag knob or whatever) you can always try palming your reel to slow the fish down. If you can't reel back in fast enough maybe you need a reel with a larger arbor or just need to practice reeling in faster. You could also strip the line back in with your hand then reel that extra line in when the fish stops running at you.

As for reeling with the wrong hand, I don't know. Could make a difference. I'm right handed and reel left because that's the way I was taught. I reel faster left handed but probably just because I've been doing it that way for so long. When I first started spey casting people told me I should be reeling right handed since I cast right handed, but I tried it and it felt too awkward so all my reels went back to being left hand retrieve.

I dunno about "pro", but Ive landed my fair share of large fish both on the Bow and elsewhere,the main thing for me when I hook a big fish is getting him under control fast, if it takes off into the middle or runs down river your gonna be in trouble, every foot of line it takes creates more drag on your hook set and tippet, which obviously you do not want and you need to try to eliminate right off the get go. try to turn him with side pressure to get it pointed up stream, I keep my rod high above my head until I know I have control to reduce the amount of line in the water. If you can't do this, you have an option to chase him downstream, personally I don't chase fish very far, 20-30 feet down stream at the most (part of the "fair" fight instilled in me by my father). Keep your line managed, don;t strip a bunch of line and have it lying at your feet, I choose reels that have a very slack counterclockwise drag, being I can spin the outer rim of the reel with my hand very quickly without using the handle ( plueger trions are great for this, I have three of them). If a fish jumps out of the water, feel what its doing rather than watch, some people will say bow to the fish, but i think this is more of a natural movement to have the fish pull the rod tip down, a fish can move alot faster when its out of the water and place strain on the hook set and tippet. Once its in the shallow water, walk out a little with it rather than try to beach it, the shallower the water the more the fish will panic and thrash, keep it pointed upstream, move in behind it where you are a little more hidden, again to keep it from panicking and make your move, I prefer to tail fish, but that's just me. If you have trouble controlling thrashing fish, practice on larger whitefish they thrash and twist more than any trout I've ever seen, try landing them as if they were a trophy rather than horsing them in like many people do. Like I say, I don't consider myself a professional as I don't get paid to fish but I've been flyfishing for most of my life and tangling with fish much stronger than what you'll find in the Bow. Half the battle is mindset, but only you can help yourself with that..I hope you find something useful in my ramblings..

Great thoughts so far gents, I look forward to more!

Here's some more information about my situation. I have a 9' 6wt FLi with a Ross Large Arbour reel (so I think I'm geared up sufficiently). I cast with my right and reel with the left. I can actually reel pretty darn fast, as I've fished this way for some time now.

I understand about wanting to keep the fish pointing upstream, and often put sideways pressure on fish. I guess when I get into the bigger guys, I loose all memory of fishing skills except rod tip up, pressure and keep parallel to the fish. I like the idea of stripping if he's running really fast into you, I guess I would just worry about the switchover from reel to hand.

I think one thing I need to start doing is expecting to catch monsters and see your 18-22 as average guys. Growing up back east, I would never have thought to say this, but after fishing the Bow for 2 years now I guess its time to move on. Maybe if I expect a hog to get on, I'll be more prepared mentally?

Sean,

Stop yer frickin whining!! 19/20" fish!! You should thank the almighty powers that be, that you are catching fish this size!! A lot of streams in North America, 19/20" fish is/are considered big!! Change your attitude, and maybe the fishing gods will take pity on you and grant you the privilege of hooking into (and landing) something substantially bigger. :ridemcowboy::angel:smail:

Kidding, of course, my friend! Be patient, sharpen your hooks, use side pressure and it will all come together for you - grasshopper :P

P

Great thoughts so far gents, I look forward to more!

Here's some more information about my situation. I have a 9' 6wt FLi with a Ross Large Arbour reel (so I think I'm geared up sufficiently). I cast with my right and reel with the left. I can actually reel pretty darn fast, as I've fished this way for some time now.

I understand about wanting to keep the fish pointing upstream, and often put sideways pressure on fish. I guess when I get into the bigger guys, I loose all memory of fishing skills except rod tip up, pressure and keep parallel to the fish. I like the idea of stripping if he's running really fast into you, I guess I would just worry about the switchover from reel to hand.

I think one thing I need to start doing is expecting to catch monsters and see your 18-22 as average guys. Growing up back east, I would never have thought to say this, but after fishing the Bow for 2 years now I guess its time to move on. Maybe if I expect a hog to get on, I'll be more prepared mentally?

I think you have got already some very good advice, such as stripping and side pressure.

Regarding switching hand for reeling, I do not think it makes the difference as long as you can keep the pressure.

BTW, in my experience, if you let the fish run down too far, you more often loose the fish (probably related to hook angle). So, try to confuse fish with varying side and parallel pressure. I also found that if you reel vigorously and wiggle the fly-line, fish often get scared and will try to get away. Keep reeling fast, but smooth.

It is all about practice. So, just keep on hooking those monsters!

Not even close to a pro, but I would like to echo what brownstone said. If it gets you to the middle of the river, or gets downstream at a smaller angle than the angle you hooked it on (assuming an upstream presentation), you are indeed in trouble. But I find it a catch-22 situation. While I don't like loosing big fish, the ones I remember most are the ones that do make it to the middle, or way downstream, and I still land them. Landing a fish that takes you to your backing is just plain fun. I must say that in the VAST majority of the cases I don't land fish that hit the middle of the river. If you want to land them, like stated above, get on them FAST. If the fish is not actively running, then take the fight to the fish. I use a lot of side pressure when doing this, but after listening to hawg one day, and reading brownstone, I may be overdoing this. But it makes me feel like I am participating more in the fight, which I like. I also like to chase fish for the same reason. I think it is fun.

However, to me the biggest key is to be confident. If you are worried about loosing the fish, then I think you fight the fish more passively and will land fewer. If you try to just enjoy the fight, and not worry so much about the outcome (like any sport), then your landing ratio will improve. I believe this of course until I loose 5 or 6 nice fish in a row. Then my confidence is shot and I swear a lot. That doesn't work as well.

something else to think about.... use the heaviest line you can get away with. and then use the heaviest pressure you can put on the fish. The second your rod is not bent over and heavy into the fish, is the same second that your increasing your odds of losing the fish dramatically. I have landed 25+ inch trout on the Bow in a matter of under a minute a few times.. (now having said that... I've also had 14 inchers that kicked my a$$ too.... ).

Wow, this is all great advice guys! Like I said, I feel really lucky for being able to fish on such a world class river--so hopefully the fishing gods are hearing me! I am also proud of myself for how far I've come in terms of numbers and size of fish, even for hooking into so many hogs. I never really had anyone to show me the ropes growing up, so I'm also thankful for the board and their tips. I like the idea of running back upstream if the fish screams back at you. However, I was wading about knee to lower thigh deep, and working my way to the bank, so that would have been hard. I'm also going to adjust the tension a bit so they have to work more if they want to run to the middle of the river again. I've always been a bit weary of applying side pressure, but will give that more of a go.

As a side note, this is all good experience for a book I'm working on that compares fly-fishing to meditation and how "being present" is so key to life and fishing. Guess I can chock it up to research...now I just need to get back on the river to continue practicing :)

The first thing I do when I hook up is start heading for shore. That way when the need arises you CAN run backwards or have the mobility to chase fish. If you hook up with a fish in butt-deep water and your NOT immediately heading for shore, your losing the battle already :)

tightline don't sweat it, I have lost several big fish this year.... I have decided it's my destiny

Personally I think my issue is my rod is to stiff so when I get the mad head shakes the rod doesn't flex, so something has to give and it is generally fish lip or my small midges get straightened out. I can't get my new spey soon enough

lots of good info there.. when fish run at me i stirp line forget reeling it.. u can get much more line back that way... also walk backwards! probably got slack on ya and spit u.. a little bow in 50 feet of line coudl mean 3-5 feet of slack in your line easy! when fish run downstream use sidepressure.. go down and against the bank and the opposite if they go upstream do up and towards the bank.... pullin back on a drag raver isnt going too do much in teh long run its best too get that fish off balance and turn it back aroud.. keep in mind if a fish is facing downstream it must now swim faster than the current speed or else water will be puchin on the back of teh gills and drowning the fish so when using side pressure the fish usually turns quite easily... then tip up and pump em..... reel down lifp "pump" up... when fish roll on surface get your rod tip down right at teh water and pull em back under.... i use sidepressure when i do this too teh downstream side... and when they dive deep lift up high too pick em up off bottom!

That there is golden advice.

Regarding this, I'm curious as to what everyone likes, and why, when nymphing. I've been using about a foot of 3 or 4X fluro, usually 3 on the Bow, tied to a standard 9' 3x leader. I sometimes chop a foot or two off this as I find it helps the roll casting. Does anyone here use anything substantially heavier?

Regarding this, I'm curious as to what everyone likes, and why, when nymphing. I've been using about a foot of 3 or 4X fluro, usually 3 on the Bow, tied to a standard 9' 3x leader. I sometimes chop a foot or two off this as I find it helps the roll casting. Does anyone here use anything substantially heavier?

I'm a little backward, but I believe fluoro is less visible in water? I peel off 3 armlengths ( about 9 feet ) of Berkley Trilene, (the cheap stuff) usually about 8 lb test, (I'm slow, so the designations in terms of X confuse me..) if it will fit in the nymph hook eye, good to go. Or more if the water's deeper. Works well with larger nymphs, obviously, and if I'm fishing something smaller I'll surgeon knot (?) down to whatever size I need. Pretty rare to get snapped off that way, I've found. I used to use tapered leaders all the time, but got sick of paying 9 bone for 3 of the damn things. This all depends on where I'm fishing, obviously. Fast runs where a fish isn't gonna get a good look at a nymph, where they gotta react fast to eat, go heavy with tippet and weight. Slower, clear water, obviously they may get a chance to study it, so compensate. As for casting, I used straight mono, not tapered at all for a looong time with dries. I just punched it out harder. Lorney finally got me convinced to taper my leaders again, I like them again now for sure. ( I can hear the laughing already..)

Growing up back east, I would never have thought to say this, but after fishing the Bow for 2 years now I guess its time to move on. Maybe if I expect a hog to get on, I'll be more prepared mentally?

what did you fish back east if the "Hogs" on the Bow are kicking your ass? nothing against you or the Bow..I love the action, I found it harder learning how to fish with an indie and split shot and junk..

what did you fish back east if the "Hogs" on the Bow are kicking your ass? nothing against you or the Bow..I love the action, I found it harder learning how to fish with an indie and split shot and junk..

Grew up on small streams and ponds in Massachusetts. Small brookies and stocked rainbows. Mostly dry fly action.

Took a break from fishing for a few years, and got back into it about two years ago. I found working the Bow, then making my wake back down to smaller water, was much easier than the other way around.

Max, thanks for the advice. All wicked good stuff! Will definetly hand strip next time and work the side pressure. Never knew about getting the fish back into the water if they're thrashing, will keep that in my mind next time it happens (hopefully soon!). Live and learn...

then tip up and pump em..... reel down lifp "pump" up...

Yeah, totally forgot this one. After I started pumping them in instead of using the reel to bring them in my landing percentage went way up. Works especially well with big fish if you have a fighting butt on your rod because you can plant it in your side and use your whole body to leverage them in.

Grew up on small streams and ponds in Massachusetts. Small brookies and stocked rainbows. Mostly dry fly action.

Took a break from fishing for a few years, and got back into it about two years ago. I found working the Bow, then making my wake back down to smaller water, was much easier than the other way around.

Max, thanks for the advice. All wicked good stuff! Will definetly hand strip next time and work the side pressure. Never knew about getting the fish back into the water if they're thrashing, will keep that in my mind next time it happens (hopefully soon!). Live and learn...

very nice, I grew up on the east coast and when I think of fly fishing back there I think of Salmon and Sea Run trout.

One thing I forgot to ask is netting. Most often I try to get the fish into the net as quickly as possibly to exert as little pressure on the fish as possible. However, I imagine with the big boys you need to tire them out more to get them in? Thoughts/advice?

I'm no pro, But the faster you seem to get the big boys in the net the better... That's IF they FIT. I don't think I could take it if I knew I had a chance to Net a 25+ inch Brown but let him take another short Run... only to lose him, that would drive me crazy.