Fly Fusion Forums

Different Stuff From The Bow

esleech

This should be an interesting thread; besides bows, browns & rockies, I've caught suckers, minnows, pike & a small bull right under

Calfrobe Bridge. Sorry, no pics. Looking forward to seeing this thread progress. Beeeyyaaaaahhhh!

Rusty, that pike is some kind of legend in my books. I've caught some big pike in my day, but not like that, and out of the friggin bow, and on the fly no less! Spectacular! Dave, The Last Sucker! Blasphemous I say...you have been excommunicated from the church! :lol: C'mon Hawgstoppah, I know you caught a Koi once! Pics?

OMG Rusty, that is friggin' unreal. How did it taste? As good as bull trout burgers at Dave's? That is a crazy pike. Imagine how many trout that guy has eaten. Nice fish Esleech, those lake whites can be a lot of fun.

Guest rusty

The guys I was with totally wanted her dead - but I figure the Bow has done pretty well with her in there, so she was released.

You could feel some sizeable fish in her gut.

Guest rusty

That fish actually swam right up to the bank where we were fishing. It sat 2' off the bank about 10 yards upstream of where I was standing. I cut off the SJW-Baetis rig I was fishing, put on a #6 double bunny, and the fish picked it up on the third cast. Got extremely lucky as she was hooked right in the hinge of the jaw and the 4X held up OK.

Like most pike, she gave one good run and then rolled and shook like crazy for a good 3 or 4 minutes.

The guys I was with totally wanted her dead - but I figure the Bow has done pretty well with her in there, so she was released.

Booo! Do your friends understand the concept of an ecosystem? Oh well, I bonk bull trout cause they eat my cutties, so I can see where they're coming from. :mellow:

It's a little off topic (because it's not about the bow), but it is connected to the Bow. I was out one year when the Elbow was open early in the spring below the Reservoir. My friend and I were struggling to catch anything but some whitefish so we decided to go stomp some of the ice in a shallow spot by the Dam just for something to do. Well, In the process of doing that I looked behind me to see about a 16" Burbot flaping around on the ice. It was hilarious! Somehow when we stomped on the ice it scooped a burbot up and onto the ice. Easiest fishing I've ever done!!

dang dudes. Looked thru my stuff and can't find the 2 pics I KNOW i have of weird bow river stuff... one being a 30+ inch burbot, the other being a 25+ lb sturgeon... as far as the koi, perch, goldfish... etc... they all got killed promptly... aka bait chucker style with a big bonk from a rock and then a toss into the shrubs. :lol::lol:

I don't think I took pics of any walleyes either. Maybe tom (bow river hooker) can post his 38 inch pike taken on a float a couple years ago with me and steve schartner. It was a hoot. Funny thing was he was all pissed off it wasn't a trout..!!! :lol:

perch etc... they all got killed promptly... aka bait chucker style with a big bonk from a rock and then a toss into the shrubs. :lol::lol:

Perch? If they're yellow perch, which I assume they are, they belong in the Bow River just as much as pike and walleye and are classed as game fish thus fall under the regulations. FFS Peace you get on my case about culling?

So your saying that the perch stocked (yes stocked) into Carburn park, should be in the Bow.????

You of all people after me about this??... aren't you the one who is highly against any rainbows in the oldman / livingstone.... why would you get after me for keeping/killing some perch out of the Bow. After the floods of 2005 I got probably about 25 of them anywhere around southland drive. Some were returned to the ponds (if I was close enough)... most were not.

Ask the boys from Edmonton , or that fish sundance lake, what perch do to trout pops...

I could be wrong, but I thought it was legal to keep perch from the Bow, as they're not specifically listed for the river, so they would fall under the general limits. Of course, wasting any fish is prohibited, so throwing them in the bushes would technically be against regs. Not trying to start a pissing contest, but the regs should dictate our actions.

I could be wrong, but I thought it was legal to keep perch from the Bow, as they're not specifically listed for the river, so they would fall under the general limits. Of course, wasting any fish is prohibited, so throwing them in the bushes would technically be against regs. Not trying to start a pissing contest, but the regs should dictate our actions.

Bingo! Perch are a naturally occurring species in the Bow, there long before any of the "introduced" species and subject to all it's checks and balances. The regs state 15 in possession not 15 in the bush.

Point made. I never thought of it that way. I was just trying to protect the river. Perch are not naturally occuring there... I do agree they do exist in small number much, much farther downstream (gleichen area and lower)

Nice to see differing points of view expressed without any name-calling or threats; the maturity level on this forum (most of the time)

is refreshing. Good on ya, Brian.